Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Pets: would you allow one in your home?? Is it good for kids
1  2  Next

Pets: What are your thoughts? would you get one for your children?
I wouldnt let ANY pet in, including fish, or flies for that matter!  
 8%  [ 4 ]
A fishtank is as far as I'd go  
 48%  [ 22 ]
We currently have a REAL pet  
 17%  [ 8 ]
I want one, my spouse doesnt  
 2%  [ 1 ]
Stick to kids ... not necessarily easier to raise but oh the nachas!  
 22%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 45

amother

Post Tue, Nov 22 2005, 9:03 am
MY kids want a pet, no not a fishtank with pretty little quiet fish,
they want either a dog, bunny or something REAL, they'll take a goat or lamb too!
what are your thoughts?

imaamy

Post Tue, Nov 22 2005, 9:54 am
We take care of our neighbor's dog, because they don't. It started when they were on vacation we'd walk it. Then we realized they leave it in the pen and don't walk it most days. We also clean the pen. At first my kids were into it. Now my daughter goes walking with me grudgingly but does enjoy the dog. My son doesn't go at all. Just realize if you get a pet, once the novely wears off, MOM is doing most of the care!

imanut

Post Tue, Nov 22 2005, 9:56 am
pets like that could exacerbate allergies if your kids have them, and animals like dogs or cats are not necessarily safe around babies and young children.
also, I personally wouldn't want my kids constantly exposed to non-kosher animals.

STRONGMOM

Post Tue, Nov 22 2005, 9:57 am
I do not understand why frum kids are more scared of dogs than others...My mil has a dog. I let my child near it under supervision. I think parents give the fear to their children.

buba123

Post Tue, Nov 22 2005, 12:24 pm
Isn't there a halacha against owning a dog or cat in your home as a pet?

buba123

Post Tue, Nov 22 2005, 12:24 pm
Or did I just make that up??

Meema2Kids

Post Tue, Nov 22 2005, 12:46 pm
My husband and I joke that we are not responsible enough to have a pet! LOL

roza

Post Tue, Nov 22 2005, 1:40 pm
you know, for couple of years we had chickens and rooster in our backyard. they eat almost everything- all leftovers. they lay eggs. you can try it and then sell it back to the store.
it's nice to buy them small and see them grow...

Last edited by roza on Tue, Nov 22 2005, 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

roza

Post Tue, Nov 22 2005, 1:42 pm
buba123 wrote:

yes, made up. LOL
ppl have dogs for protection and cats to get rid of mice

deedee

Post Tue, Nov 22 2005, 1:44 pm
its good for kids to be exposed to pets but I wouldnt get one cause 4 kids is enough to worry about!
my sis has a dog and my daughter loves to play with her when we visit. its alot to care for, they have to be potty trained, obidience trained, fed, groomed, washed, shots, and when u go on vaccation arrangements have to be made. we grew up with dogs, which my mother said we could only get if we took care of, of course in the end she was the one who took care.
my step daughter is beggin for a hampster-yeah right, I can just see my baby squeezing too tight or getting bit!
my husband wants a dog. I told him, one day....

buba123

Post Tue, Nov 22 2005, 2:45 pm
roza wrote:
buba123 wrote:

yes, made up. LOL

I'm trying to get in touch with my father - he mentioned something along that vein to me a few times..

zigi

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 2:56 pm
I grew up with a dog I want one but they expensive to feed, have to walk them and use a pooper scooper and they also shed my husband would rather have a cat, benefits they are fluffy glue traps but then they show you their hard work. I don't want bllod and guts on my floor. and they also get jealous. if there is another new family member, so I guess not. when and if I will get a bigger place, fish tank! but I hope that I will have better luck than when I was a kid, there were alot o toilet funerals!

mommy2

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 7:47 pm
The Lubavitcher rebbe spoke about not bringing toys that are not kosher animals into the home because of the effect it can have on a child. The middos... How much more so for real pets.

miriam

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 8:30 pm
I think you can tell what kind of pet we have.....

deedee

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 9:00 pm
funny miriam Smile
I had birds for a while but found it annoying to clean the cage and wash it out. also trying to get food for them for pesach-lost one that way. one year I gave my bird to a [gentile] friend and just let him keep it, too much trouble for me!

miriam

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 9:31 pm
Oh yeah, they make a mess. We put saran wrap half way up their cage starting from the bottom. The cage is cylinder shaped. They eat millet during Pesach. The kids like looking at then and sometimes they make for a great diversion,"Hey look at what the tzipor is doing" in the middle of a crying tantrum.

carrot

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 9:50 pm
I read somewhere - NOT a scientific place - that cats can somehow cause schizophrenia. according to this article, schizophrenia is a disease that spreads from animals (like bird flu or mad cow) and it can sit in someone for many years before it has an effect. I'm not saying it's true, just that it's interesting. (and would explain the stereotype of the "crazy old lady" with her seventeen cats.) Rolling Eyes

MMEC123

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 9:59 pm
imaamy wrote:
We take care of our neighbor's dog, because they don't. It started when they were on vacation we'd walk it. Then we realized they leave it in the pen and don't walk it most days. We also clean the pen. At first my kids were into it. Now my daughter goes walking with me grudgingly but does enjoy the dog. My son doesn't go at all. Just realize if you get a pet, once the novely wears off, MOM is doing most of the care!

I strongly second this. Growing up my siblings and I BEGGED for a dog. We were all under 10 but we were so dedicated we wrote up a whole "dog duties" schedule- who and when we walk, feed, etc. the dog. My mother was so impressed she decided to let us get one. My father kept fighting it saying he knew he'd be stuck with all the work soon. Guess what- that lasted about 2 weeks. Then we all refused to do it. And now, 10+ years later, guess who is the only one who walks and feeds the dog EVERY day (for the past 10+ years)- our father! Make sure you as parents want to really be in charge of the animal. Unless your children are very dedicated, don't expect them to do much work for it.

baby's mom

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 11:25 pm
I would consider getting fish or birds. I think it's good for kids to be exposed.

tzivi

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 1:07 am
Why was this topic posted by amother? shock
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics