Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Pets: would you allow one in your home?? Is it good for kids
Previous  1  2

Pets: What are your thoughts? would you get one for your children?
I wouldnt let ANY pet in, including fish, or flies for that matter!  
 8%  [ 4 ]
A fishtank is as far as I'd go  
 48%  [ 22 ]
We currently have a REAL pet  
 17%  [ 8 ]
I want one, my spouse doesnt  
 2%  [ 1 ]
Stick to kids ... not necessarily easier to raise but oh the nachas!  
 22%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 45

roza

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 2:09 am
because if she will get an ostrich pet we will figure her out. What

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 2:35 am
buba123 wrote:
Or did I just make that up??

No, it does say something about them being "kasheh l'shikcha".(make you liable to forget your Torah learning).

also, it is against the halacha to keep a bad (I.e. dangerous) dog.

Quote:
The Lubavitcher rebbe spoke about not bringing toys that are not kosher animals into the home because of the effect it can have on a child

we bought cockatiels, "found out" that they are not kosher and exchanged them for doves.

klotzkashe

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 5:53 am
We have pets...
We get new ones everyweek!
We have a cow in our cholent and chickens in our soup and for main course...

YUM!

buba123

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 11:50 am
carrot wrote:
I read somewhere - NOT a scientific place - that cats can somehow cause schizophrenia. according to this article, schizophrenia is a disease that spreads from animals (like bird flu or mad cow) and it can sit in someone for many years before it has an effect. I'm not saying it's true, just that it's interesting. (and would explain the stereotype of the "crazy old lady" with her seventeen cats.) Rolling Eyes

I heard the same article mentioned also (quoted very well - mind you!!)

buba123

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 12:23 pm
I spoke to my dad and this is what he quoted-
only dogs (cats OK - used to keep mice away)
in Bava Kama Gemara - Daf Tes-vav, Amud Bais- "Zeh Hamigadel Kelev Rah?" How do you know not allowed to keep dog in house(seeing eye dog is OK)?
Because it says "Lo Sasum Damim Bevaisecha" - Chumash Devarim- Perek Chaf-Beis, Pasuk Ches-Tes.
This is the Issur for keeping dog in house (except seeing eye dog).

Rabbeinu Bachayaa says in Shemos- Perek Chaf-Alef, Pasuk Chaf-Tes - "You put a Megadel Kelev Ra in Cherem".

Ein Yaakov says in Gemara Shabbos- Os Mem- Beis - "Kol Hamigadel Kelev Besoch Baiso Monea Chessed Mitoch Baiso". Whoever has dog in house stops goodness from coming into house.

Got my sources Thumbs Up
I'm not judging anyone who does have a dog - my in-laws had puppies every now and then (never lasted too long LOL LOL ), just showing some sources.

roza

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 12:33 pm
cool, thanks

Ahuva

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 12:38 pm
We really would like to get a bird. But I'm wondering don't they make a ton of noise?

amother

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 1:09 pm
I've got a parrot,
My kids love it. he talks non stop and mimics the funniest things!!!
it's a great family pet! and the best thing about them, they're the easiest in the house to put to bed, all I do is cover the cage with a sheet, and he's quiet until we open it up in the am. they're easy to feed, will eat whatever you have in the house, fruit, vegggies, etc..
He's not noisy, unless he desperate for attention.
mackaws, cockatails, and african greys are great family pets.

go for it ahuva!

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Wed, Nov 30 2005, 9:56 pm
Halakha (ramah, yorah deah; sha'arei orah, hilchos niddah; rokeiach, kol bo, hilchos niddah) addresses the fact it is not good for a freshly-immersed woman to view an unclean animal--I am somewhat paraphrasing here--first thing out fo the mikvah. If one owns a dog or cat as a pet, or any other non-kosher animal, it would need to put where you wouldn't be able to see it after returning home from the mikvah. In regards to children, (rokeiach hilchos shavuos) when children are learning Aleph-Beis, they should be covered so they see no dogs. That is rather diificult to achieve if one owns one! So, NO! That was not "made up"!

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Wed, Nov 30 2005, 10:10 pm
A couple of years ago, while out-of-state visiting my best girlfriend from college, I noticed she was feeding a stray kitten by her back door. She told me that it was abandoned by the people who moved away from next door, and she felt sorry for it although she never allowed it inside her home...it somehow got attached to us,following us and rubbing up against us everytime we were outdoors, so I talked my husband into allowing us to schlepp it home with us...and, he remains with us to this day. Last year, a litter of newborn puppies were dropped off at a "shelter" that euthanizes animals on a snowy, Saturday night. They were left on a cold, concrete floor until Monday morning, when they would be gassed. The owner kept the mother, who was Alaskan Malmute. A compassionate volunteer telephoned a woman who "fosters" such animals in partnership with a non-euthenizing shelter, and to make a long story short, we own one beautiful canine, whom we believe is also shepherd. He is an outdoor dog, except at night, where he sleeps in a kennel indoors...these creatures are G-d's Creation and deserve a life of dignity, as well.

roza

Post Wed, Nov 30 2005, 11:58 pm
He*Sings*To*Me wrote:
Halakha (ramah, yorah deah; sha'arei orah, hilchos niddah; rokeiach, kol bo, hilchos niddah) addresses the fact it is not good for a freshly-immersed woman to view an unclean animal--I am somewhat paraphrasing here--first thing out fo the mikvah. If one owns a dog or cat as a pet, or any other non-kosher animal, it would need to put where you wouldn't be able to see it after returning home from the mikvah. In regards to children, (rokeiach hilchos shavuos) when children are learning Aleph-Beis, they should be covered so they see no dogs. That is rather diificult to achieve if one owns one! So, NO! That was not "made up"!

Once a woman saw a mikvah lady after immersion, it does not matter if later she sees other non kosher things.

There are 2 different issues: 1. pets at home 2. pets at home with little children (who don't know the difference b/w kosher and treif)

Where in halacha does it say that one is not allowed to possess dogs and cats, when they can be useful in household?

Homes with little children is a different story, the issue is chinuch.

p.s. for record we have a big fish tank

lucky

Post Thu, Dec 01 2005, 12:25 am
I vaguely recall something about a fish tank and shiduchim. Some people hold that it is tzar balai chai to keep fish in a tank. And this somehow keeps away from doing a shidduch.

Mandy

Post Thu, Dec 01 2005, 1:27 am
Quote:
If one owns a dog or cat as a pet, or any other non-kosher animal, it would need to put where you wouldn't be able to see it after returning home from the mikvah. In regards to children, (rokeiach hilchos shavuos) when children are learning Aleph-Beis, they should be covered so they see no dogs.

Goodness, now I will really have to take care of my ants... my roaches... my mice...

chen

Post Thu, Dec 01 2005, 8:15 am
carrot wrote:
I read somewhere - NOT a scientific place - that cats can somehow cause schizophrenia. according to this article, schizophrenia is a disease that spreads from animals (like bird flu or mad cow) and it can sit in someone for many years before it has an effect. I'm not saying it's true, just that it's interesting. (and would explain the stereotype of the "crazy old lady" with her seventeen cats.) Rolling Eyes

Obviously not a scientific place. Schizophrenia is a mental disorder. see http://www.mentalhealthchannel.....html. The causes include heredity, birth trauma, abnormal brain structure or brain chemistry, and --just possibly--exposure in utero to certain viruses. The virus connection is by no means clear or proven.

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Thu, Dec 01 2005, 4:21 pm
Goodness, now I will really have to take care of my ants... my roaches... my mice...[/quote] Mandy, you are too funny!
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

(I must be alittle slow on the uptake here, but I cannot figure out HOW to "quote" like a number of posters do on here... Question )

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Thu, Dec 01 2005, 4:25 pm
Thanks, Roz...I'll check that out!

imaamy

Post Sun, Dec 11 2005, 10:59 am
We brought home my son's class guinea pig for the weekend. My daughter wants to hold it and my son says she is doing it wrong. They bicker over it. For the weekend they are taking good care of it, but when we brought home another class pet for the winter break a few years ago, the bulk of the work fell to me. I forgot the thing was here and during the night I heard the noise and just about plotzed!!

nicole81

Post Sun, Dec 11 2005, 12:29 pm
my husband has a fishtank (which he has to keep refilling because the fish keep dying!) we both agreed that if we were to ever move into a rural area we would like a dog. BUT, we would have to have older kids already who would understand the difference between kosher and treif animals, and who would be old enough to help out with the pet.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics