Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
S/O moving litvishe
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 1:10 pm
Due to the present school situation (didn't get child into school yet Sad ) and the fact that we have nothing tied down where we live, we are interested in moving to a nice litvishe (JPF/yeshivish) community that is within 3 hours of driving to Brooklyn. We would prefer an area that is more suburb but are flexible and is a nice warm, down to earth community (but not too out of towny..)

Current jobs we have are flexible and don't think we will have issues finding new ones wherever we move to so that wouldn't be a factor.

Not interested in Brooklyn, Lakewood or Monsey...

Any ideas?

amother
Diamond

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 1:11 pm
passaic
Waterbury

jd1212

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 1:15 pm
Baltimore is 3-4 hours but a good option

boysrus

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 1:17 pm
Edison or Baltimore

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 1:17 pm
Edison?
Philadelphia?

amother
Oldlace

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 1:27 pm
I would love to move to waterbury but can't because of jobs
If your jobs are flexible then go for it

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 1:49 pm
amother Diamond wrote:
passaic
Waterbury

We were actually considering both options but wanted to get other ideas...

Is naugatuck, CT basically Waterbury and where is the Jewish community located there (to get an idea of housing by checking Zillow..)?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 1:51 pm
jd1212 wrote:
Baltimore is 3-4 hours but a good option

I'm not sure why but husband isn't so keen with the Baltimore idea 🤷‍♀️

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 1:51 pm
boysrus wrote:
Edison or Baltimore

Ummm Edison's tuition Hiding
Don't think we can afford that...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 1:55 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
Edison?
Philadelphia?

Can you tell me more about the Philadelphia community? Is there a website that I could find more information?

How is the tuition?
How far is it from Brooklyn?
What is the housing most similar to (is there any streets you can give me that I can check on Zillow?)

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 1:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can you tell me more about the Philadelphia community? Is there a website that I could find more information?

How is the tuition?
What is the housing most similar to (is there any streets you can give me that I can check on Zillow?)

A few months ago there was an ad on Imamother for info if you are looking to move to Philadelphia.

Maybe you can get in touch with someone in the ad department for the ad

mollie21

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 2:20 pm
amother OP wrote:

How is the tuition?

I grew up there and highly recommend it! It's 2.5 hours driving to Brooklyn, even with moderate traffic. The community is OOT with a mix of yeshivish, MO, regular oot orthodox, and chabad. There a few (3-4) elementary schools ranging in hashkafa, and the same for high schools (one girls BY, one boys mesivta, one coed MO, and a couple coed MO lite schools). There's a bunch of smaller suburbs that surround Philly which make up the community, but ifyou're looking for suburb feel try Merion Station, bala Cynwyd, Narberth, Wynnewood or Ardmore (the first two are where most jews live). There's also a community on the NE side of Philly that's about 35-45 mins from the suburbs.
Tuition I can't really speak for since my parents never shared with me the exact amount. What I can say though is that many people receive tuition breaks or scholarships or some other type of subsidizing for tuition.
Not sure what you mean by not to out of towny, but I never grew up lacking. Sure, there are hardly any kosher restaurants, and even less good ones, but that just means we had more family dinners. And maybe there isnt a kosher supermarket, but you can find everything you need in the regular ones, and they have deli counters and kosher bakeries inside them too! There are plenty of shuls to choose from in the yeshivish circle, so you do have some choice (like 2 or 3 places, not like 8). And for everything else you need that you can't find in Philly, lakewood is 1.5 hrs away and NY is 2.5! Pm me if you want to know anything else!

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 7:41 pm
Queens
Far Rockaway/Five Towns

amother
Tealblue

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 7:42 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
Queens
Far Rockaway/Five Towns

Tuition and houses are crazy expensive in FR/FT

Sebastian

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 7:43 pm
Cherry hill

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 7:46 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
Queens
Far Rockaway/Five Towns

Although they are a very warm community, definitely would feel pressured by the in townyness of FR/FT and want a more simple community

From my experience with Queens, it's expensive to live there and raise a family there...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 7:48 pm
Sebastian wrote:
Cherry hill

I'm going to ask the same question as I did with Philly-
Can you tell me more about the community? Is there a website that I could find more information?

How is the tuition?

ETA: I just did a search on imamother on cherry hill. This is what I found https://www.imamother.com/foru.....58106

Is it true that there is one elementary school and it's mixed until 8th grade?
Also, tuition is that expensive?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 7:50 pm
mollie21 wrote:
I grew up there and highly recommend it! It's 2.5 hours driving to Brooklyn, even with moderate traffic. The community is OOT with a mix of yeshivish, MO, regular oot orthodox, and chabad. There a few (3-4) elementary schools ranging in hashkafa, and the same for high schools (one girls BY, one boys mesivta, one coed MO, and a couple coed MO lite schools). There's a bunch of smaller suburbs that surround Philly which make up the community, but ifyou're looking for suburb feel try Merion Station, bala Cynwyd, Narberth, Wynnewood or Ardmore (the first two are where most jews live). There's also a community on the NE side of Philly that's about 35-45 mins from the suburbs.
Tuition I can't really speak for since my parents never shared with me the exact amount. What I can say though is that many people receive tuition breaks or scholarships or some other type of subsidizing for tuition.
Not sure what you mean by not to out of towny, but I never grew up lacking. Sure, there are hardly any kosher restaurants, and even less good ones, but that just means we had more family dinners. And maybe there isnt a kosher supermarket, but you can find everything you need in the regular ones, and they have deli counters and kosher bakeries inside them too! There are plenty of shuls to choose from in the yeshivish circle, so you do have some choice (like 2 or 3 places, not like 8). And for everything else you need that you can't find in Philly, lakewood is 1.5 hrs away and NY is 2.5! Pm me if you want to know anything else!

Thank you so much!
I reay appreciate that you answered each question in detail...

Going to mention all this to DH and see what he says...

amother
Tealblue

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 7:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you so much!
I reay appreciate that you answered each question in detail...

Going to mention all this to DH and see what he says...

Do a search on Bala Cynwyd, I think there are a bunch of posts on here, I strongly considered moving there, I'm in lakewood in the end because I wasn't ready to move to a small community but otherwise sounded amazing.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 8:00 pm
amother Tealblue wrote:
Do a search on Bala Cynwyd, I think there are a bunch of posts on here, I strongly considered moving there, I'm in lakewood in the end because I wasn't ready to move to a small community but otherwise sounded amazing.

Hmm just did a search and only saw post from 2018 and earlier... I only gained that it is expensive to live there and tuition is a fortune lol.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating