Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Place for single mother and 3 kids (US)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

amother
Honey

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 7:35 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
I’m not sure how this derailed into rentals vs. purchases. It’s the same headache practically. Plus with a rental I’d likely have to move again in the not too distant future. I want the peace of mind of homeownership. I’m good at fixing most things that aren't too major. I would do a thorough inspection before a purchase. Beachwood isn’t the same as other cities. You can’t just rent an apartment here. It would be a house. I would still be mowing the lawn and shoveling the driveway (or at this point hiring someone else to). I would still have to furnish it and make it livable and pay utilities whether it’s my house or a rented house. Plus the money for the down payment is minimal at this point. Waiting longer risks losing it altogether. What’s hard to understand about the preference to buy, especially when we’re talking about a $600-800/month savings on mortgage payments vs. rentals.

You can disagree with me, but let’s leave this part of things aside for now please. It’s not like I’m moving anywhere tomorrow.

Kiwi13, I couldn’t agree more! I bought a house when I was single because I didn’t want to be pouring money down the drain with rent, PLUS rent would have been 3x (!) the price my mortgage ended up being. I got some pushback—“you might get married soon and move to Lakewood! Why would you buy a house?” etc. But I’m glad I did.

Look into first-time homebuyer programs in Ohio. There are some great resources, including ones for fixing up houses (the Cleveland Restoration Society Program—really low rates for fixing up or remodeling parts of a house to make it livable).

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 7:39 am
I lived in Beachwood years ago as a child and my siblings and I went to Beachwood City Schools. They were, and probably still are, one of the best districts around, and while public, have a huge Jewish influence, many MO go to school there (or did when I went there because Mizrachi HS was just getting started), and for special ed needs, even more RW families did send their children to the public schools. So, similar to certain parts of brooklyn with larger jewish populations and special ed kids going to public schools, there will be more Jewish and even some frum peers in the Beachwood schools system probably. It's also a lot more suburban in nature than CHUH (although CHUH has great resources for the academically gifted or special ed--the general population it's not as good, and CHUH is much larger and more diverse, so there isn't the same Jewish peer presence.)

ETA By huge Jewish presence, when I was in Beachwood HS many years ago, the demographic split was something like 80% identify as Jewish, 10% African American, 6% Asian American, and 4% "other". FWIW, my siblings and I were "other".

Last edited by NotInNJMommy on Fri, Jan 13 2023, 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Honey

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 7:43 am
Resources for low-cost home repairs:

https://www.clevelandohio.gov/.....vices

https://www.clevelandrestorati.....wners

DVOM

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 7:46 am
NechaMom wrote:
People commenting about it are probably also considering the fact that just yesterday you were looking for communities all over the US, so it’s pretty quick to make a life changing decision to buy a home and settle in Beachwood which makes your decision final. Renting for a couple of months would give you more time to see if it’s the right fit for you and your children.
But of course, it’s your life and your decision and the financial part makes sense.
You do seem to be in a better place than the beginning of the thread. Hashem should give you all the strength you need and more.
I wish you hatzlacha in every way and you should overcome all obstacles both big and small.

Yes, this is what was going through my mind.

Buying a home is so huge (or at least it was for me), I just wouldn't want you to pressure yourself into buying, right now!, even though just yesterday you were looking to move to a whole different state, just for the sake of your kid's stability. Could you give yourself a little time to breathe? To heal? To let the dust settle? In 3 or even 1 month from now, you might have a different view of things.

Your kids can be ok anywhere you are ok.

But feel free to ignore me if this perspective isn't helpful.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 7:58 am
Well, you have a place with your relatives now so I guess that’s where you’ll be as you’re settling yourself and your kids.
I think people were advising that you rent a place while you settle in. If your accommodations are satisfactory for a while then I guess you’re set for now. As things fall into place you’ll decide if this is working for you and then you can consider the house option. Hopefully by then you’ll have access to the money in your account.

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 11:26 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:
I lived in Beachwood years ago as a child and my siblings and I went to Beachwood City Schools. They were, and probably still are, one of the best districts around, and while public, have a huge Jewish influence, many MO go to school there (or did when I went there because Mizrachi HS was just getting started), and for special ed needs, even more RW families did send their children to the public schools. So, similar to certain parts of brooklyn with larger jewish populations and special ed kids going to public schools, there will be more Jewish and even some frum peers in the Beachwood schools system probably. It's also a lot more suburban in nature than CHUH (although CHUH has great resources for the academically gifted or special ed--the general population it's not as good, and CHUH is much larger and more diverse, so there isn't the same Jewish peer presence.)

ETA By huge Jewish presence, when I was in Beachwood HS many years ago, the demographic split was something like 80% identify as Jewish, 10% African American, 6% Asian American, and 4% "other". FWIW, my siblings and I were "other".

What year did you graduate BHS?

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 11:38 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
What year did you graduate BHS?

I'll PM you.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating