Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How unkosher is non kosher wine?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 1:50 am
Does non kosher wine fit into the same category as a cheeseburger?

Is it a lesser level of non kosher?

dena613

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 1:51 am
I'm not a rabbi, but I would say yes!

What do you consider less treif?
Bugs on vegetables... Kosher meat mixed with kosher milk (basar bechalav), regular treif meat...
These are all various issurim, some have multiple issurim... All assur completely

Elfrida

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 1:55 am
You could argue that it's d'Rabanan whereas basar v'chalav is d'Oraita, and that the process of making the wine is pretty much the same whoever makes it, but that doesn't mean you can pick and choose want halachos you want to follow.

amother
Midnight

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 1:59 am
Even if one is d'rabanan and one is d'oraisa, that doesn't make the first lesser than the second. Frum Yidden keep halacha, d'rabanan and d'oraisa equally.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 2:04 am
Are we talking about drinking it accidentally? If so don’t dwell on it, learn from the mistake and move on.

WitchKitty

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 2:10 am
Elfrida wrote:
You could argue that it's d'Rabanan whereas basar v'chalav is d'Oraita, and that the process of making the wine is pretty much the same whoever makes it, but that doesn't mean you can pick and choose want halachos you want to follow.

You can also argue that a cheeseburger is not deoraysa, only גדי בחלב אמו
I think that practically, both yayin nesach and a cheeseburger are on deoraysa level

amother
NeonPurple

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 2:23 am
Very not kosher. Probably falls under avodas zara halachos more than kashrus halachos.

nicole81

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 2:29 am
Are you asking because of a mistake? Because you want to try it? Or just randomly curious?

My not very knowledgeable opinion is if it's the first, then don't worry about just learn from your mistake and kasher if necessary. If the second, then yeah I'd say they're equally as bad. I don't know the objectively curious answer and would probably ask a rav.

Chickensoupprof

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 3:55 am
Yayin nassr is what I thought the rabbanan, more due to the fact that wine will gather Jews and non-Jews together and something like that (which is in my eyes always silly because beer is OK and so is Wodka)... These halachos were set up later and also because of avoda zara. Doesn't mean I don't follow it. I have had once a wine sheilo when my (non-Jewish) father touched my wine. The rav said it was ok because me and my husband are considered shomer, scolding him would not be good for shalom and furthermore my dad is a devout atheist who won't consider avoda zara.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 4:02 am
amother OP wrote:

Ask your Rabbi.
If you for some reason have non-kosher wine which you got a a gift and plan regifting then either put it in a separate place or wrap it in plastic wrap together with a note.
Don't store together with kosher wine bottles, the chance of mix-up is too great.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 4:09 am
I learnt you are not allowed to benefit from non kosher wine, so you can't even regift it or sell it. A few times we received non kosher wines as gifts and we just threw it out. Sad

I imagine the actual ingredients of most wines are kosher, but yayin nesach is a very serious prohibition.

Chickensoupprof

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 4:26 am
Raisin wrote:
I learnt you are not allowed to benefit from non kosher wine, so you can't even regift it or sell it. A few times we received non kosher wines as gifts and we just threw it out. Sad

I imagine the actual ingredients of most wines are kosher, but yayin nesach is a very serious prohibition.
We recieved 6 bottles of treif wine, because my husband helped someone at his job who lost all the picture and cute videos of his children on his laptop and my husband found it and gave it back. I got a different psak I can't give it to my parents because my mom might drink for it but I can give it to non-Jewish people.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 4:26 am
Yayin nesech is an issur deoraisa. However, yayin nesech is wine that was used as a libation or an offering to avoda zara. There is an issur of drinking it and also of deriving any enjoyment from it, I.e. giving it as a gift to a non-Jew is also assur.

Stam yainam is an issur derabbanan. This means wine that may have been poured but we don't know for sure. So we treat the wine as if it had been poured off for AZ. If a monotheist non-Jew poured (or touched) the wine, it wouldn't be yayin nesech, but still assur for reasons of preventing intermarriage. But it would be permitted to derive enjoyment from it.

We got a psak that if we received non-kosher wine as a gift we could regift it (but that we weren't allowed to buy it as a gift). Probably due to the third reason.

See this: https://oukosher.org/halacha-y.....ence/

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Jan 14 2023, 11:15 am
Raisin wrote:

I mean you could just leave it outside somewhere and someone will walk off with it.

imaima

Post Sat, Jan 14 2023, 11:27 am
amother OP wrote:

No

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sat, Jan 14 2023, 12:36 pm
amother Natural wrote:
Yayin nesech is an issur deoraisa. However, yayin nesech is wine that was used as a libation or an offering to avoda zara. There is an issur of drinking it and also of deriving any enjoyment from it, I.e. giving it as a gift to a non-Jew is also assur.

Stam yainam is an issur derabbanan. This means wine that may have been poured but we don't know for sure. So we treat the wine as if it had been poured off for AZ. If a monotheist non-Jew poured (or touched) the wine, it wouldn't be yayin nesech, but still assur for reasons of preventing intermarriage. But it would be permitted to derive enjoyment from it.

We got a psak that if we received non-kosher wine as a gift we could regift it (but that we weren't allowed to buy it as a gift). Probably due to the third reason.

See this: https://oukosher.org/halacha-y.....ence/

I believe you may go be it to a non-jew as a gift or a "bribe" like giving it to your cleaning lady who will be happy to take it and therefore work better in your home.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sat, Jan 14 2023, 12:43 pm
Raisin wrote:

You could maybe ask your Rabbi if you may regift to your non-jewish cleaning lady with the intention to "bribe" her to do a better job.
Or just to leave it as hefker.
The most complicated is wine which is grown under heter mechira. We don't hold of heter mechira.
By mistake I bought a few years ago not realizing my mistake.
I had to bury the bottles. That was the only solution.

amother
Azalea

Post Sat, Jan 14 2023, 1:01 pm
amother OP wrote:

You could call it a different category.

That doesn't make it a different level.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 14 2023, 10:55 pm
Thanks everyone.

I’m just wondering, if yayin nesach means wine that has been poured for avoda Zara, why are regular wines considered yayin nesach?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen