Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Long name

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 1:20 pm
Would you hesitate to use a beautiful name that has significance to you, if your child would end up with a very long name? Our last name is already long and I’m not sure if it’s right to give the baby a long first name, too.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 2:38 pm
I’d use it.
If the name has special meaning for you, even more a reason to do it.
(If you’re taking about a triple or quadruple name plus a hyphenated last name, maybe I’d think twice.)

teachkids

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 2:41 pm
Is it a name or intials that lend themselves to a nickname?

singleagain

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 2:45 pm
I don't know what you mean by long, but both my first name and my last name are 8 let's each, my middle name is either 4 or 5 letters (English and Hebrew) so the full thing is 20/21 letters... I never felt it held me back.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 3:49 pm
singleagain wrote:
I don't know what you mean by long, but both my first name and my last name are 8 let's each, my middle name is either 4 or 5 letters (English and Hebrew) so the full thing is 20/21 letters... I never felt it held me back.

My own name is very long. I have a 4 syllable first name, and then I married a guy with a 4 syllable last name. I’m not even including middle name, since it’s not what I go by. It’s not terrible, but a little cumbersome. I got this name by marriage, which was worth it of course. But should I chose this for my child?

If it makes a difference it would be for a girl, so I guess it’s not a name for life.

singleagain

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 3:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
My own name is very long. I have a 4 syllable first name, and then I married a guy with a 4 syllable last name. It’s not terrible, but a little cumbersome. I got this name by marriage, which was worth it of course. But should I chose this for my child?

If it makes a difference it would be for a girl, so I guess it’s not a name for life.

Daughter might love her name and not want to change it. Really don't think it's a big deal. Worst case, she'll create nickname for herself.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 3:51 pm
teachkids wrote:
Is it a name or intials that lend themselves to a nickname?

This name could have a nickname, but I love the full version.

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 12:01 am
Don't let it hold you back!
Unless it's embarrassing for some reason. But just long, no big deal!

amother
White

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 12:11 am
I call my children by their full names so I would take that into account. I don’t use nicknames or only first names if they have 2 names. It’s their whole essence so I feel should be called by entirety.

If that’s not the case for you. Then make sure the whole name and their meanings make sense together and it’s what you want for your child.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 12:20 am
Totally fine.

salt

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 3:06 am
4 syllables is not that long - I'm think of eg. Elisheva, Yishayahu, Eliyahu, Ariella.
Not the end of the world, even with a last name like Goldenberger.
I'd definitely give it.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 3:12 am
I'd do a long name.

I used to love this British tv series called "Call the Midwife". One of the main characters was a nun called Sister Evangelina. That's 7! syllables total, and no one ever gave her a nickname! It seemed natural, not ridiculously long, so I say go for it!

Tof Umachol

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 8:04 am
Yes, I would.
If it bothers her, when old enough she'll adopt a nickname.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 10:51 am
Thanks everyone. Name really not decided yet, but I wanted to know if I should keep thinking about this name or nix it. I was picturing the comments already. Did you know people love commenting about long names? Banging head I learned that when I got married.

singleagain

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 10:58 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks everyone. Name really not decided yet, but I wanted to know if I should keep thinking about this name or nix it. I was picturing the comments already. Did you know people love commenting about long names? Banging head I learned that when I got married.

Who cares why people say. If you love the name and have a confident attitude that is all your child needs. I always loved my name bc my mom did.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names