Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
2 yo daily/weekly sample menu

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 9:36 am
My 2 yo is super skinny, always has been. She seems to be eating decently. She's also super active, doesn't even sit still while eating. I'm trying to figure out though if her appetite is normal or she should be eating more. She literally doesn't have time/patience to eat so each meal is me running after her to eat what she does eat. Heres what she eats in a day:
breakfast at 8:30-9 am is oatmeal, kasha, or a fruit smoothie made with yogurt
lunch at 11:30 is slice of bread with butter and an egg or pb&j bread with half avocado
nap, she goes to sleep with a 5 oz milk bottle
snack when she wakes up at about 3-3:30 is usually a banana, sometimes an applesauce, with or without a cookie
supper at about 5 pm is whatever we're having so let's say chicken and rice and carrots or meatballs and spaghetti or sweet potato and tuna patties. She'll eat a drumstick of a chicken, 1-2 patties. According to the portion size of my older kids, she seems to be eating a normal amount for her age.
8 pm bedtime with a water bottle

Please share what your kid eats, or if you have suggestions for me to beef up my kids' food.

tichellady

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 10:15 am
doesn't sound concerning to me at all. my kids eat way less than that

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 10:18 am
LOL my 2 year old eats a yogurt, apple, some cookies or wafers and bits of chicken if I am lucky. He also nursing still.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 10:19 am
your more than good my 2.5 year old probably eats half of that if we’re lucky

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 10:20 am
That sounds very typical for a two year old. Mine eats about the same and is in the 98th percentile. Maybe he’ll have an extra snack during the day as well but no bottle so probably the same

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 10:20 am
She wasnt' feeling well now for a week and lost weight she could not afford to lose. I can actually see that she got thinner. Hopefully she's over it and she can get back to her regular eating.
She isnt' nursing anymore for the last 2 months.
Thanks for your feedback.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 10:26 am
amother Thistle wrote:
That sounds very typical for a two year old. Mine eats about the same and is in the 98th percentile. Maybe he’ll have an extra snack during the day as well but no bottle so probably the same

Since she was born the doctor was down my back about her weight. I nursed every 2 hours or more often and supplemented one bottle a day when that alone wasn't helping. I started her on solids earlier than my other kids because I felt like I don't have enough to sustain her fully. She kept nursing on the same schedule even after adding food. Still she was always at the bottom of the weight chart or even under it. When it was my breastmilk, I felt like it's my fault and there's more I can do to bring up her weight (give more bottles, make sure I eat enough, etc.), but once she's eating only, I'm more limited with what I can do. If she eats the most she can eat in a day and she's still so thin, it's just too bad. My dh wants me to give her ice cream and junk that have more calories, but I don't want to ruin her appetite for good food and the doctor agreed with me, but Doc still wanted to see her weight up, so I just stopped going back for weigh-ins.

Now because of her weight loss this week from illness I got worried again and wanted to see what more I can do, or it is what it is.

amother
Watermelon

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 10:32 am
Maybe add something to her bottleor her smoothie to make it “fattening”
Something like pediasure
You could blend avocado and banana

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 11:16 am
I wouldn't be concerned. As long as she's been growing/gaining weight, different kids are just shaped differently.

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 11:54 am
amother OP wrote:
Since she was born the doctor was down my back about her weight. I nursed every 2 hours or more often and supplemented one bottle a day when that alone wasn't helping. I started her on solids earlier than my other kids because I felt like I don't have enough to sustain her fully. She kept nursing on the same schedule even after adding food. Still she was always at the bottom of the weight chart or even under it. When it was my breastmilk, I felt like it's my fault and there's more I can do to bring up her weight (give more bottles, make sure I eat enough, etc.), but once she's eating only, I'm more limited with what I can do. If she eats the most she can eat in a day and she's still so thin, it's just too bad. My dh wants me to give her ice cream and junk that have more calories, but I don't want to ruin her appetite for good food and the doctor agreed with me, but Doc still wanted to see her weight up, so I just stopped going back for weigh-ins.

Now because of her weight loss this week from illness I got worried again and wanted to see what more I can do, or it is what it is.

If she’s stayed more or less on the same curve, don’t worry about it. Maybe she’s just a small kid? Is there anyone very petite in your family?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 12:10 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
If she’s stayed more or less on the same curve, don’t worry about it. Maybe she’s just a small kid? Is there anyone very petite in your family?

She's not short, only very skinny. I was always very thin as a baby and people scared my mother about my weight. Now I'm average height and still pretty thin. DH is tall and thin. The joke is that the doctor knows me and DH and when I brought that up at appointments, she didn't want to hear it. She claimed that we're adults but kids need to have fat under their skin.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics