Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Spiced Turkey Breast With Chocolate Pasilla Sauce

Amarante

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 10:50 am
This was delicious and pretty easy to make. Essentially you rub spices on the chicken and roast. Then you make the sauce separately. From a cookbook called Mexican Made Easy - and that wasn't a lie. I have never seen the show but evidently the author has a cooking show on the Food Channel.

Using unsweetened chocolate in savory dishes is a very classic Mexican flavor. This isn't like a chocolate cake since unsweetened chocolate is actually bitter just like coffee without sugar isn't "sweet".

The notes indicate that it can be made with chicken parts with the time adjusted.

I also made the rice which was easy and very good although I didn't use a box grater for the tomatoes but my mini Cuisinart which is a perfect size for small stuff like this - garlic, one onion etc.

Spiced Turkey Breast With Chocolate Pasilla Sauce

Excerpt From: Marcela Valladolid - Mexican Made Easy

serves 4

ONE OF MY FAVORITE FLAVOR COMBOS is that of chocolate and chiles, in both sweet and savory dishes. This savory dish is inspired by the traditional flavors of a mole sauce but is made easy. For a special occasion like Thanksgiving or x-mas, make this with turkey. For a great weeknight dinner, substitute chicken. Serve with some Arroz Rojo to soak up that extra sauce. This sauce is also wonderful on chicken, so just swap out the turkey breast for the bone-in chicken breasts for another great dinner.

1 (3½- to 4-pound) bone-in turkey breast half, or 2 bone-in chicken breast halves
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2½ cups chopped white onions
2 garlic cloves
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1½ cups chicken broth, preferably organic
5 dried pasilla chiles, soaked
1 (3.1-ounce) disk Mexican chocolate - or unsweetened dark baking chocolate
¼ cup toasted sesame seeds, for garnish

1 Preheat the oven to 375°F.

2 Set a rack in a large roasting pan. Rinse the turkey breast and pat dry. Put the turkey on the rack and drizzle with the 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. In a small bowl, mix the oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cinnamon, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Rub the spice mixture all over the turkey, rubbing some of it underneath the skin.

3 Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of the turkey registers 165°F and the juices run clear when the turkey is pierced with a fork, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Let rest for 15 minutes.

4 Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato sauce and chicken broth and cook over medium-high heat for 8 minutes for the flavors to incorporate. Let cool slightly.

5 Drain the pasillas and transfer them to a blender. Add the onion mixture and puree until smooth. Return to same saucepan and add the chocolate, stirring over medium heat until melted. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.

6 Remove the turkey breast from the bone. Slice into ½-inch-thick slices and transfer to a platter. Top with the chocolate pasilla sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.

Arroz Rojo (Red Rice)

Excerpt From: Marcela Valladolid Mexican Made Easy

serves 4 to 6

I’M ALMOST CERTAIN THAT EVERY HOME across Mexico has its version of this tomato-tinted rice dish. My mom would make this in large quantities because it was mandatory at the dinner table almost every day of the week. Although I’m not the biggest fan of the microwave, my mom had this great trick for reheating the rice that would keep it nice and moist: Drench a paper towel with water, then squeeze out the excess, and cover the bowl of cold rice before popping it in the microwave. This creates a little steam so the rice doesn’t dry out. 

2 plum tomatoes, cored
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup minced white onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup long-grain rice
¼ cup canned tomato sauce
1¾ cups chicken broth, preferably organic - could use vegetable broth for pareve rice
1 serrano chile
1 sprig cilantro
Salt

1 Using a box grater, grate the tomatoes into a medium bowl.

2 Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a heavy medium skillet. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the rice and cook until slightly toasted, about 3 minutes.

3 Add the grated tomato, tomato sauce, and broth and bring to a boil. Add the serrano, cilantro, and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 15 minutes.

4 Remove the skillet from the heat. Cover the rice and let stand for 8 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork, transfer to a serving bowl, and serve.

leftovers?

rice and chicken soup: Add Arroz Rojo to chicken broth along with some cut-up veggies and shredded chicken for a hearty soup.

red rice gratin: Spoon rice into a gratin dish and top with Mexican crema or sour cream and mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350°F until the cheese is golden brown.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey