Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Decorators: Egg and Dart Crown Molding on Natural Maple kitc
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 12:17 pm
Decorators (and those with great taste): What would you tell a client if they told you they love and want to do Egg and Dart Crown Molding on their Natural Maple shaker style kitchen cabinets?

All week Ive been looking through Architectural Digests and Veranda (decorating magazines) and Im seeing a little return to traditional decorating throughout the house, and in some newly done kitchens as well.

Ive also been hearing people say "Get what you like".

What would you advise your client?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 4:19 pm
bump

Crookshanks

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 5:46 pm
Can you make a mockup of what they look like together and post it? I honestly really like egg and dart, I can see it coming together semi ironically.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 5:47 pm
I would say that you will be living with your choices, not me.

There is a trend toward lighter wood stains right now, and cleaner, crisper lines. I cannot say that I have seen a trend toward fancy crown but not everything out there is transitional or modern. Yes, it could work. Shaker can go either way.

I am about to remodel my own kitchen and it will be traditional. I am a designer but not really a decorator.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 5:54 pm
Traditional especially wood is making a come back. There is even a Chippendale style kitchen in this article,

Can you do a CAD or sketchup rendering. When I couldn’t visualize something, my designer would do thst and it was helpful especially the ones that enabled me to navigate through the room

https://www.veranda.com/decora.....deas/

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 6:24 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
I would say that you will be living with your choices, not me.

There is a trend toward lighter wood stains right now, and cleaner, crisper lines. I cannot say that I have seen a trend toward fancy crown but not everything out there is transitional or modern. Yes, it could work. Shaker can go either way.

I am about to remodel my own kitchen and it will be traditional. I am a designer but not really a decorator.

Thanks!

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 6:25 pm
Amarante wrote:
Can you do a CAD or sketchup rendering. When I couldn’t visualize something, my designer would do thst and it was helpful especially the ones that enabled me to navigate through the room

OP, I model in SketchUp Pro and send the files to my clients. They can "walk through" the drawings and find them to be extremely helpful in understanding their space and what it will look like. More likely your kitchen designer uses 20-20, which is kitchen-specific and can give pricing, but is not as versatile.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 6:26 pm
Amarante wrote:
Traditional especially wood is making a come back. There is even a Chippendale style kitchen in this article,

https://www.veranda.com/decora.....deas/

Thanks!

Those pics are stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and inspiring.

The A&D building is floor after floor of super-modern straight everything, which doesnt talk to me.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 6:35 pm
Honestly, the styles don’t work together because Shaker style was born from the Arts and Craft movement which was a reaction against the overly ornate decor of the Victorian era which this style of molding personifies.

While I am a firm believer in eclectic decor, there are some basic precepts that result in designs that are pleasing rather than a bit weird.

I had a designer who was great because the final result was a true collaboration. The final outcome was much bolder than I wouid have done but also saved me from some real faux pas. I would expect my designer to not just shrug and say whatever but to explain to me why my suggestions wouldn’t work and offer alternatives thst could possibly help me achieve my design tastes without being completely off.

In general there is a reason why Shaker cabinets have plain molding since it fits with the style
of door.

https://www.houzz.com/discussi.....-cabs

Last edited by Amarante on Sun, Jan 15 2023, 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Amarante

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 6:40 pm
Are you the client?

Because when I met with my decorator the first time I told her no white, no gray and no beige,

My remodeled kitchen is traditional as my inspiration styles were Arts and Craft, Prairie and a bit of Art Deco and Hollywood Regency so it isn’t slavishly period but is the antithesis sleek modern. It wasn’t trendy but I still love it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 7:11 pm
Amarante wrote:
I had a designer who was great because the final result was a true collaboration. The final outcome was much bolder than I wouid have done but also saved me from some real faux pas. I would expect my designer to not just shrug and say whatever but to explain to me why my suggestions wouldn’t work and offer alternatives thst could possibly help me achieve my design tastes without being completely off.

My experience with decorators has been that if you ask 5 decorators youll get at least 3-4 opinions.

I know I love egg and dart crown molding and I know I dont want raised panel doors that are busier than shaker doors. I dont think Im ready to do it the "right way" to be historically correct.

I dont care for the heavy dentil molding in the above photo but it certainly doesnt match historically, with the simple, more modern, mirrored cabinets used here. The only object in this kitchen thats as antiquey as the molding, is the stove. The chandelier is definitely not antiquey. Its all a blend of different looks.

If you were set on egg and dart molding, what would your cabinet doors look like?

Amarante

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 7:13 pm
There is absolutely nothing about that kitchen that appeals to me 😱😱🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️😂😂 except the stove

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 7:25 pm
Amarante and others, if you were set on egg and dart crown molding in your kitchen, what would your cabinet doors look like?

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 7:30 pm
Op like you said in you op, only you will have to love it & live with it. I don't believe in being true to a period unless you live in a mansion or you plan to sell soon. Do what you love & you won't regret it.

Disclaimer: I'm a simple mom who loves my home that I renovated. I'm not a designer but I get compliments all the time.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 7:39 pm
https://pin.it/7m7xU6b

https://pin.it/6caa1PH

Some examples. None of the cabinets are simple Shaker although not overtly ornate

You might hav3 to use the more like this option

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 7:56 pm
https://www.kraftmaid.com/larg.....sert/
Do it in maple wood. Will look great.
https://quikdrawers.com/hard-m.....dings

Amarante

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 7:58 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
https://www.kraftmaid.com/large-cove-molding-with-beaded-panel-molding-solid-stock-and-egg-and-dart-insert/
Do it in maple wood. Will look great.
https://quikdrawers.com/hard-m.....dings

Those aren’t Shaker doors 🤷‍♀️

The issue isn’t the molding which can be elegant. It is what doors do they look well with.

spikta

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 8:37 am
Are you talking about adding molding to existing shaker cabinets? Or you're putting in new cabinets and molding? If you're just adding molding then yes, like it was mentioned above, they don't technically match, but 99.9% of the people who see your kitchen won't notice or care. If you want to add that touch and it will make you happy then go for it.

If you're putting in new cabinets as well, why are you doing shaker? It's what everyone does, and they're a fairly neutral option, but if you have the choice, why not go for cabinet that's slightly more traditional and with a bit more detailing, rather than just a flat panel outline? It doesn't have to be crazy carved curlicues, but there are cabinets with slightly more depth to them.
Since you say there's a particular style of molding you like, it sounds like you have a more traditional/formal aesthetic in mind, so why not go a bit farther with that to get a more coherent look? I think it will make you happier because the whole kitchen will be more in line with your style, and it won't be just one little strip of molding stuck on the top.

You can get more traditional hardware as well, maybe a fun chandelier, and you'll get a really special overall look.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 5:29 pm
spikta wrote:
Are you talking about adding molding to existing shaker cabinets? Or you're putting in new cabinets and molding? If you're just adding molding then yes, like it was mentioned above, they don't technically match, but 99.9% of the people who see your kitchen won't notice or care. If you want to add that touch and it will make you happy then go for it.

If you're putting in new cabinets as well, why are you doing shaker? It's what everyone does, and they're a fairly neutral option, but if you have the choice, why not go for cabinet that's slightly more traditional and with a bit more detailing, rather than just a flat panel outline? It doesn't have to be crazy carved curlicues, but there are cabinets with slightly more depth to them.
Since you say there's a particular style of molding you like, it sounds like you have a more traditional/formal aesthetic in mind, so why not go a bit farther with that to get a more coherent look? I think it will make you happier because the whole kitchen will be more in line with your style, and it won't be just one little strip of molding stuck on the top.

You can get more traditional hardware as well, maybe a fun chandelier, and you'll get a really special overall look.

Thanks so much!

Its a new kitchen Im doing, and your advice will probably be best for 90% of people doing kitchens, but not for me. To give you an idea I have a very old antique desk in my living room that will go side by side with a modern sofa. I prefer the look of a mix of styles to one style alone. Also, I dont like busy cabinet doors. I havnt seen a door style thats busier than Shaker that I like.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 5:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks so much!

Its a new kitchen Im doing, and your advice will probably be best for 90% of people doing kitchens, but not for me. To give you an idea I have a very old antique desk in my living room that will go side by side with a modern sofa. I prefer the look of a mix of styles to one style alone. Also, I dont like busy cabinet doors. I havnt seen a door style thats busier than Shaker that I like.

I think you need to find a decorator to help you translate your tastes into a pleasing cohesive design.

I don’t think most people are attempting to recreate a period perfect room. My home is eclectic and mixes vintage with contemporary.

However some of your elements just might not work together well. For starters, you want natural maple cabinets. Ought maple is a very contemporary look. It isn’t even neutral or transitional for the most part. Of course theoretically anything might work but I think you need to have someone putting it together for you and also providing you with renditions.

Were you planning to paint the molding?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics