Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Lighting Mavens: Is a Living Room ceiling full of spots

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 12:26 pm
Is a Living Room ceiling full of spots on its way out, and getting replaced with table lamps or a few ceiling fixtures, if decor moves towards more traditional looks?

Almost all new construction and remodeling in my neighborhood have a polka dotted looking ceiling, full of recessed spots, in the living rooms. Is that going out?

https://www.veranda.com/decora.....deas/

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 11:17 am
bump

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 11:45 am
I just put spot lights in my dining room and living room. Why would it be going out?
And who cares if it is.

amother
Bellflower

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 11:50 am
Spots aren’t going to go out in the frum world. They are too practical. In the wider world quite possibly but I don’t pay attention.

nu

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 11:57 am
I love spots- brightens the room.

amother
Buttercup

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 12:15 pm
I dont think spots, or lots of spots,, are so common out of the frum world. Almost everyone I know who moved into non Jewish housing had to add.

Frum people read more in all situations so we need good lighting in all rooms.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 12:20 pm
When we went to look at houses, we always felt like non jewish houses always had dimmer lighting. I don't know whether it's different lifestyles that require different lighting.

amother
Buttercup

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 12:28 pm
amother Cyclamen wrote:
When we went to look at houses, we always felt like non jewish houses always had dimmer lighting. I don't know whether it's different lifestyles that require different lighting.

For example, a dining room outside the frum world will typically not have spots. In frum housing, of course (plus the chandelier). In a non frum house, who is reading at the dining room table that needs bright lighting? (And who is using the DR? but that's a different story).

Frum houses usually layer spots with lamps and chandeliers in the living spaces (as appropriate).

DustyDiamonds

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 1:21 pm
I always wonder about this!

In non frum homes, there generally isn’t overhead lighting in the living room. Some outlets are attached to switches, for lamps.

I understand that secular homes generally feature a TV prominently in the living room.

But don’t they also like to read? I mean, I was just at Barnes and Noble and the library, and they were full of non frum people! Do they only read in the kitchen?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics