Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Desperate! How to get baby discharged from NICU
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:42 pm
Sebastian wrote:
Seems like some posters have never experienced miamonides. it is really unlike any other hospital in the world.

Agree. And I think those that work there are biased and can't really have an opinion on a thread discussing personal experience regarding patient care.

amother
DarkRed

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:44 pm
amother Currant wrote:
So my question remains.

Where are all these perfectly healthy babies growing up in the NICU because Maimonides refused to release them? There must be thousands of them, if their parents weren't savvy enough to "turn the world over" to get them out.

Why are so many people having similar experiences if you say this isn't true?

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:46 pm
Sebastian wrote:
Seems like some posters have never experienced miamonides. it is really unlike any other hospital in the world.

so why do so many jewish patients go there? in Brooklyn we.have Lutheral/Northwell, Methodist/NY Pres / Community hospital, Kings County.
Manhattan and Long Island are a hop.skip and jump.
Vote with.your feet and go.somewhere else. Going to a place where you will distrust and refuse to comply with the advice of the medical team is unhelpful to the patient and frustrating to the ream trying to help you with the medical training and experience that they have

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:48 pm
amother Gladiolus wrote:
so why do so many jewish patients go there? in Brooklyn we.have Lutheral/Northwell, Methodist/NY Pres / Community hospital, Kings County.
Vote with.your feet and go.somewhere else. Going to a place where you will distrust and refuse to comply with the advice of the medical team is unhelpful to the patient and frustrating to the ream trying to help you with the medical training and experience that they have

Because that's where their doctors deliver. Their doctor is competent and they choose that even if they might have a bad hospital experience. Though people that know beforehand that their baby might need a NICU, generally deliver at a hospital with a good NICU. But not everyone knows beforehand.
And if hatzolah takes in a patient, they have to go there and then they're stuck with a hard time to transfer.

Sebastian

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:49 pm
amother Gladiolus wrote:

Bc its convenient and youre low risk etc
Hatzalah wont take you anywhere else

I know lots of ppl who went there once and wont ever go back. Its a special experience and not in a good way.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:50 pm
I am curious how they read the 02 sat on a baby that would interfere with the reading? It only takes about thirty seconds max if you use the right equipment.

I know adults can sometimes be hard to read, so there are different devices that can be used. Like one that attaches to an earlobe.

What is the 02 reading? Just curious. I know nothing about babies in NICU.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:54 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
Agree. And I think those that work there are biased and can't really have an opinion on a thread discussing personal experience regarding patient care.

Actually, I have never personally.gone there to give birth because close family members had bad experiences there. I do choose to bring my elderly parents there after experiencing a lack of respect for the life of the elderly/infirm at a NYC hospital. As I said uptrend- be smart and go to a facility, use a provider that you trust!
As a nurse in Maimo and also at a top NYC hospital, I do the best I can to treat each patient with professionalism and caring and as a patient I do advocate for myself/family while being aware that I came to the hospital because I need help and the staff is medically trained and if I want to get better I will let them give.me the care they were educated to give

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:56 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
Because that's where their doctors deliver. Their doctor is competent and they choose that even if they might have a bad hospital experience. Though people that know beforehand that their baby might need a NICU, generally deliver at a hospital with a good NICU. But not everyone knows beforehand.
And if hatzolah takes in a patient, they have to go there and then they're stuck with a hard time to transfer.

not an acceptable answer. part of choosing a dr to deliver you.is choosing the hospital he/she delivers in.
and I know this will not be politically correct, but did anyone think of paying for medical care so that you can have more choices of where to deliver?

new oldie

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:57 pm
How many weeks gestation was/is your baby? And weight? Has the baby been progressing nicely? On any machines? I know it’s super hard to have a baby in the nicu but if the baby come home with machines or needing therapies it’s really hard. Hang in there, soon everyone will be home.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:58 pm
Chana Miriam S wrote:
I am curious how they read the 02 sat on a baby that would interfere with the reading? It only takes about thirty seconds max if you use the right equipment.

I know adults can sometimes be hard to read, so there are different devices that can be used. Like one that attaches to an earlobe.

What is the 02 reading? Just curious. I know nothing about babies in NICU.

This
The wave on the monitor will tell you if it’s a good or bad reading and the hospital monitor is way better at picking up a good reading than the home Pulse ox (which even those you can usually still get a fairly good reading even if baby is active. The HR will probably not be accurate, but oxygen usually does show up pretty accurately).

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:59 pm
Sebastian wrote:
Bc its convenient and youre low risk etc
Hatzalah wont take you anywhere else

I know lots of ppl who went there once and wont ever go back. Its a special experience and not in a good way.

How is it convenient to go to a hospital ypu hate and distrust?
And in most cases, why would hatzala take a low risk laboring patient to the hospital? they aren't a free cab service! take a car service or drive!

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:59 pm
amother Leaf wrote:
I'm laughing at the comments that are stating Maimo keeps babies for insurance money. They get paid much less than standard as 3/4 of Maimo pts tend to have govt insurance, and insurance companies generally look for any reason why they WON'T cover services.

OP, I know having a NICU baby is hard, I've been there unfortunately (in Manhattan) , over and over and over and over and over. I know what it is to travel postpartum back and forth and the feeling of guilt leaving a baby "stranded" in a hospital without mommy especially shabbos after shabbos after shabbos. I understand the hormones, and I understand the frustration when people make silly comments like "at least you get a full night's sleep" as you watch your baby struggling to breathe with a CPAP up their nose. I understand the feeling when the nurses say "he's getting ready to come home!" only to be told the next day baby wasn't regulating his body temp well enough and needed another few days. I understand the fear of seeing baby perfectly thriving in the nurses hands yet when handed over to mommy suddenly the baby is gagging and having trouble swallowing. I understand the back and forth phone calls with my usual pediatrician giving him updates on the baby and asking him if he agrees with the hospital staff's course of treatment. I get it. All of it.
OP I TOTALLY understand you. It's so hard to handle both physically and emotionally. But please trust the process. Most Nurses and Drs are not monsters, I truly feel they want what's best for baby. What would you do if your baby came home and turned blue chv from the lack of oxygen? Is it worth the risk? I wish you hatzlacha and please keep in mind that a positive result is not an excuse for irresponsible behavior.
I hope your baby comes home soon healthy and well and may you be able to enjoy your family!

Great post
Very well said. Nodding along...

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 8:03 pm
amother Currant wrote:
That's so interesting.

So basically there must be this huge population of perfectly healthy babies growing up in the NICU because the parents didn't fight like h3ll for their release.

Oh please. Stop being ridiculous. No one said babies are growing into toddlers in the nicu. But the hospital may decide to keep them there an extra week or month more than necessary. It may not be a big deal to the hospital but its a very big deal to the postpartum mom and family.
Also most babies don't leave the nicu when they are "perfectly healthy." They leave when they are stable enough to be at home with regular care from the pediatrician. Its a grey area and the hospital can definitely make it work to their advantage
Honestly your post just makes you look stupid.

Sebastian

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 8:07 pm
amother Gladiolus wrote:
How is it convenient to go to a hospital ypu hate and distrust?
And in most cases, why would hatzala take a low risk laboring patient to the hospital? they aren't a free cab service! take a car service or drive!

Most dont believe its that bad until they experience it for themselves

If a woman or any other patient needs to go with hatzala, they end up in miamo. There are times when a low risk laboring woman needs to call hatzala. It happens. And then you are screwed.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 8:12 pm
Sebastian wrote:
Most dont believe its that bad until they experience it for themselves

If a woman or any other patient needs to go with hatzala, they end up in miamo. There are times when a low risk laboring woman needs to call hatzala. It happens. And then you are screwed.

I think someone needs to let Hatzala know to stop taking patients there..Methodist and Lutheran and Coney Island are pretty close by... Maine 3 minutes further using a siren. And Downstate is right near Crown Heights. If this chat is representative of the "community needs" then this has to happen asap. Why should Hatzalah allow more frum people to be mistreated and held against their will at a place that is like no other in the lack of quality care.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 8:13 pm
There's a reason maimomonides has a huge campaign against it. It's a horrible hospital, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I went to the city. I have friends who went all the way to long Island or Staten Island... from Brooklyn 20 min away from maimo. I don't doubt op for a second.

I voluntarily took my own 4 month old to the hospital with RSV and they wouldn't discharge me either. They said baby wasn't making enough wet diapers. Yes baby wasn't peeing bc baby wasn't nursing. Baby wasn't nursing bc couldn't take a bottle and I was physically unable to nurse with all the machines and wires stuck to his body. I had to put up a fight and this is not a newborn, no oxygen concern, that I voluntarily admitted!

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 8:14 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
Why are so many people having similar experiences if you say this isn't true?

Because people who have no medical knowledge all of a sudden become experts on their newborn infants.

It's actually the biggest chillul Hashem how these frum people bully the doctors in discharging their infants to go home when they don't feel they're ready.
Yes, generally, once they're admitted to the NICU, they want everything to check out before they're discharged.
That's because of the litigation happy world we live in.
Could you imagine a baby that was discharged with a documented low oxygen level and then turned blue at home with negative consequences? Wow, how quick those people would be to sue.

How about daven, show trust in your baby's doctors and nurses and show them appreciation?

And by the way, if you'd find out how little Medicaid based insurances pay (which I assume MANY frum people have), you'd laugh. The hospital would actually make more money discharging your baby faster and having the space to put another baby.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 8:14 pm
amother Gladiolus wrote:
not an acceptable answer. part of choosing a dr to deliver you.is choosing the hospital he/she delivers in.
and I know this will not be politically correct, but did anyone think of paying for medical care so that you can have more choices of where to deliver?

This is a very privileged way of talking, I hope you realize.
Yes, many people pay for better medical care. But it's not an option for everyone.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 8:16 pm
amother Gladiolus wrote:
I think someone needs to let Hatzala know to stop taking patients there..Methodist and Lutheran and Coney Island are pretty close by... Maine 3 minutes further using a siren. And Downstate is right near Crown Heights. If this chat is representative of the "community needs" then this has to happen asap. Why should Hatzalah allow more frum people to be mistreated and held against their will at a place that is like no other in the lack of quality care.

It's not a matter of letting hatzolah know. They know. It's a legal matter.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 8:17 pm
amother Coral wrote:
Because people who have no medical knowledge all of a sudden become experts on their newborn infants.

It's actually the biggest chillul Hashem how these frum people bully the doctors in discharging their infants go home when they don't feel their ready.
Yes, generally, once they're admitted to the NICU, they want everything to check out before they're discharged.
That's because of the litigation happy world we live in.
Could you imagine a baby that was discharged with a documented low oxygen level and then turned blue at home with negative consequences? Wow, how quick those people would be to sue.

How about daven, show trust in your baby's doctors and nurses and show them appreciation?

And by the way, if you'd find out how little Medicaid based insurances pay (which I assume MANY frum people have), you'd laugh. The hospital would actually make more money discharging your baby faster and having the space to put another baby.

We should trust all doctors? Seriously? Why? Parents need to advocate. That's very important in every hospital. Especially in certain hospitals.
Page 3 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics