Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Desperate! How to get baby discharged from NICU
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 5:17 pm
Chana Miriam S wrote:
I am curious how they read the 02 sat on a baby that would interfere with the reading? It only takes about thirty seconds max if you use the right equipment.

I know adults can sometimes be hard to read, so there are different devices that can be used. Like one that attaches to an earlobe.

What is the 02 reading? Just curious. I know nothing about babies in NICU.

I never went to Maimo, BUT I was transferred to a hospital with a higher level PICU because my baby was reading 70 on the pulse ox in the ER. She was 96 when we got to the second hospital and they told me the reading had been inaccurate (they said she wouldn't have been able to be screaming the whole time if she was at 70).

The pleth apparently looked fine to the original doctor and he thought it was accurate or he wouldn't have ordered the transfer.

(They usually read for babies from the toe, and they get poor readings all the time.)

TravelHearter

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 5:19 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
Oh please. Stop being ridiculous. No one said babies are growing into toddlers in the nicu. But the hospital may decide to keep them there an extra week or month more than necessary. It may not be a big deal to the hospital but its a very big deal to the postpartum mom and family.
Also most babies don't leave the nicu when they are "perfectly healthy." They leave when they are stable enough to be at home with regular care from the pediatrician. Its a grey area and the hospital can definitely make it work to their advantage
Honestly your post just makes you look stupid.

Please don’t call someone stupid. Whether you agree with her or not, there’s a respectful way to say it. And I have nothing to do with that poster or this thread. Let’s tone it down.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 5:20 pm
OBVIOUSLY sometimes hospitals are doing their jobs....but just like everything else there are sometimes when they are incompetent and yes keeping you way longer than usual. I had this with my daughter. I told them I want to go home they said no she needs to take very strong meds, get an mri and other things. I refused and begged to leave. They brought a police officer and security to make sure I don't leave. Once weekend staff left and another top doctor came he discharged me straight away and said meds, and mri are completely unnecessary. Baby was also hooked up to a machine 24/7.
She also had a runny nose where she could barely breath I had to beg them for steam which is basic, something I would do at home for such a stuffed nose on a little baby.
Ask for a different doctor!

Sebastian

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 5:21 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
It's not a matter of letting hatzolah know. They know. It's a legal matter.

I dont believe it is. Other hatzalahs will take you to a diff hospital in the general area. I believe hatzala in crown heights doesnt automatically transfer to maimo. Its a hatzala of bp/flatbush thing and I agree it needa to change. I know someone who had chest pain and didnt call hatzalah so he wouldnt end up in maimo it is terrible.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 5:22 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
We should trust all doctors? Seriously? Why? Parents need to advocate. That's very important in every hospital. Especially in certain hospitals.

I didn't say to trust all doctors blindly.

But there's a thread I've seen among some frum communities where the talk is that the doctors keep the NICU babies hostage for the insurance money.
And it's so laughable and ridiculous and embarrassing and a chillul Hashem.

Sebastian

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 5:24 pm
Amother not everywhere. Just certain hospitals like maimonides

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 5:27 pm
Sebastian wrote:
I dont believe it is. Other hatzalahs will take you to a diff hospital in the general area. I believe hatzala in crown heights doesnt automatically transfer to maimo. Its a hatzala of bp/flatbush thing and I agree it needa to change. I know someone who had chest pain and didnt call hatzalah so he wouldnt end up in maimo it is terrible.

Crown heights is closer to methodist. I think legally, an ambulance cannot bypass a local hospital.
Hatzolah will make exceptions and take to Manhattan, but they can't do it every time.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 5:27 pm
amother Coral wrote:
Because people who have no medical knowledge all of a sudden become experts on their newborn infants.

It's actually the biggest chillul Hashem how these frum people bully the doctors in discharging their infants go home when they don't feel their ready.
Yes, generally, once they're admitted to the NICU, they want everything to check out before they're discharged.
That's because of the litigation happy world we live in.
Could you imagine a baby that was discharged with a documented low oxygen level and then turned blue at home with negative consequences? Wow, how quick those people would be to sue.

How about daven, show trust in your baby's doctors and nurses and show them appreciation?

And by the way, if you'd find out how little Medicaid based insurances pay (which I assume MANY frum people have), you'd laugh. The hospital would actually make more money discharging your baby faster and having the space to put another baby.

Yes and hospitals want you discharged as soon as possible it actually costs more for them to have you there. That's why there are so many outpatient centers and urgent care centers that have opened. So if the Dr thinks the baby needs to stay there is definitely a good reason for it.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 5:29 pm
amother Coral wrote:
I didn't say to trust all doctors blindly.

But there's a thread I've seen among some frum communities where the talk is that the doctors keep the NICU babies hostage for the insurance money.
And it's so laughable and ridiculous and embarrassing and a chillul Hashem.

Not doctors, but certain doctors.
It's laughable and ridiculous till you experience it yourself. Then it's not so funny anymore.

Sebastian

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 5:33 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
Crown heights is closer to methodist. I think legally, an ambulance cannot bypass a local hospital.
Hatzolah will make exceptions and take to Manhattan, but they can't do it every time.

Hatzalah in lkwd bypasses many closer hospitals and usually take to jersey shore for cardiac since they are the better hospital for that. They will take a yoledet to monmouth even though mant hospitals are closer. I dont think its a legal thing, unless it is in ny. Kimball is the closest emergency room and they usually dont go there.

I never heard of hatzalah in bp or flatbush taking to manhattan. Their policy is very strict.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 5:40 pm
amother DarkYellow wrote:
Yes and hospitals want you discharged as soon as possible it actually costs more for them to have you there. That's why there are so many outpatient centers and urgent care centers that have opened. So if the Dr thinks the baby needs to stay there is definitely a good reason for it.

It depends for what. They don't want people using the ER/hospital as a doctor when your doctor isn't available. That's why urgent cares were created. When they can't legally claim to have a good reason to keep you then they can't bill anymore and they will discharge you.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 5:43 pm
To the OP, please don't forget to speak to your loving caring father, Hashem. He is your best advocate! I kind of forgot to include him in the decision making when I was desperate desperate to leave.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:08 pm
Sebastian wrote:
Hatzalah in lkwd bypasses many closer hospitals and usually take to jersey shore for cardiac since they are the better hospital for that. They will take a yoledet to monmouth even though mant hospitals are closer. I dont think its a legal thing, unless it is in ny. Kimball is the closest emergency room and they usually dont go there.

I never heard of hatzalah in bp or flatbush taking to manhattan. Their policy is very strict.

I'm almost sure it's state protocol. In certain situations, they may bypass for example if someone needs trauma care and the closest hospital doesn't have a trauma unit, or if the patient is a a patient of a doctor of a specific hospital.

amother
Iris

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:13 pm
Sebastian wrote:

I was told by a Dr that they have to legally bring any trauma patient to the nearest trauma center which is Jersey Shore even though it’s an awful hospital. Both Jersey Shore and Monmouth are not good hospitals for anything more serious than childbirth. I have had personally and heard of many negative experiences there.

amother
DarkRed

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:15 pm
amother Coral wrote:
Because people who have no medical knowledge all of a sudden become experts on their newborn infants.

It's actually the biggest chillul Hashem how these frum people bully the doctors in discharging their infants go home when they don't feel their ready.
Yes, generally, once they're admitted to the NICU, they want everything to check out before they're discharged.
That's because of the litigation happy world we live in.
Could you imagine a baby that was discharged with a documented low oxygen level and then turned blue at home with negative consequences? Wow, how quick those people would be to sue.

How about daven, show trust in your baby's doctors and nurses and show them appreciation?

And by the way, if you'd find out how little Medicaid based insurances pay (which I assume MANY frum people have), you'd laugh. The hospital would actually make more money discharging your baby faster and having the space to put another baby.

There is a reason people don't trust the doctors and nurses there. Not to say there aren't some good ones but for the most part they earned their reputation.

amother
Latte

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:18 pm
Sebastian wrote:
Most dont believe its that bad until they experience it for themselves

If a woman or any other patient needs to go with hatzala, they end up in miamo. There are times when a low risk laboring woman needs to call hatzala. It happens. And then you are screwed.

Yes to all of this. I was a low risk laboring woman who needed to call hatzala. Hatzala refused to take me anywhere but Maimonides. And I did not believe that it was that bad until I experienced it for myself.

If this would ever happen again, I would sooner risk giving birth in a car myself than go in an ambulance to Maimonides.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:19 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
There is a reason people don't trust the doctors and nurses there. Not to say there aren't some good ones but for the most part they earned their reputation.

Tov she'b'rofim...

iluvy

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:26 pm
amother Slateblue wrote:
This
The wave on the monitor will tell you if it’s a good or bad reading and the hospital monitor is way better at pickling up a good reason than the home Pulse ox (which even those you can usually still get a fairly good reading even if baby is active. The HR will probably not be accurate, but oxygen usually does show up pretty accurately).

My baby's o2 alarms would go off every time she moved, and the nurse would just turn it off. She said the pulse ox easily shows desaturation with movement. (Not Maimonides)

sweet

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:05 pm
Sebastian wrote:
Amother not everywhere. Just certain hospitals like maimonides

Lots of hospitals are this way too.

A relative of mine was in chop and they made the child do loads of extra tests , 4 mris, and lots more testing, for an unrelated medical issue that they were admitted for.
all bec. Child came in through the e.r. with jersey care insurance and they wanted to squeeze out every dollar from insurance.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:30 pm
sweet wrote:
Lots of hospitals are this way too.

A relative of mine was in chop and they made the child do loads of extra tests , 4 mris, and lots more testing, for an unrelated medical issue that they were admitted for.
all bec. Child came in through the e.r. with jersey care insurance and they wanted to squeeze out every dollar from insurance.

or maybe a sick.child was brought in and they wanted to make sure all was OK before sending the child home. or maybe if you want to paint them with a worse brush, perhaps they were testing to stave off a law suit just in case something was wrong with the child (who came in sick after all!) and they didn't find it without further testing-maybe they weren't skilled enough

But please believe me when when I say that chances are the care was driven by residents who have absolutely no idea what insurance you have and whose bosses are attending doctors being paid a fixed salary and don't either know what insurance you have!
It is so frustrating to keep on rereading this misinformation regarding keeping patients and ordering tests in a hospital setting so that the hospital makes more money. Many complaints.about hospitals are valid, but the part about trying to milk your insurance company.... not so much.
Page 4 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics