Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
KK
Previous  1  2

watergirl

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:33 pm
It’s actually something that came from gaming culture. It’s the opposite of rude, but my assumption (proved by this thread) is people using it or reading it have no idea what it really means. It means “k kewl”.

Here is the common explanation (read the whole thing):
https://www.urbandictionary.co.....rm=kk

amother
Jean

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:36 pm
I find it the opposite. When someone just writes K to me it sounds like they are unhappy or upset. Kk sounds like okay sure to me.
Mid 30s. So not in my 50s trying to be cool, nor a young 20 year old

zoom

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:38 pm
I always thought it meant k kool

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 10:12 pm
Lots of interesting answers!
FTR, I'm 24 and the people texting it to me are all around my age.

nicole81

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 10:38 pm
amother Almond wrote:
As a millennial I remember this was slang we typed in AOL instant messenger. I haven't used it since I was a teen because it feels very much of it era... Maybe some still do?

Lol maybe it really is a millennial thing! I use it, and so do some of my friends and coworkers who are elder millennials and never thought anything of it.

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 10:43 pm
amother Garnet wrote:
K is way more rude than kk

Kk is like okey dokey.

K is like we’re done

Yep exactly this.
K is abrupt.
KK is cheerful bouncy, okidoke!

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 3:45 pm
amother Lightgray wrote:
Yep exactly this.
K is abrupt.
KK is cheerful bouncy, okidoke!

Exactly this.
And I'm not under 25 lol.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 4:43 pm
I am age 50+ when I get the KK from anyone- it sends a distinct message to me- shuts me down and the text conversation is over.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 4:46 pm
I'm in my 60's and I say KK when I get asked for permission for something and I am in a good mood.
Or when my older kids tell me they'll be out late with friends. Sounds nice. KK

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 5:08 pm
If you text me “k” I will ignore the text. It is soooo annoying! Write something like “okay” “sure” “ got it”. I hate “K”

I respond with kkk many times when no other comment is necessary.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 7:11 pm
flowerpower wrote:
If you text me “k” I will ignore the text. It is soooo annoying! Write something like “okay” “sure” “ got it”. I hate “K”

I respond with kkk many times when no other comment is necessary.

I'm fine with k or kk, but kkk just has too much of a negative association.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 7:17 pm
amother Vermilion wrote:
I'm fine with k or kk, but kkk just has too much of a negative association.

If you know me- nothing is associated with negative. I’m a verrrrry positive person. And speaking of which- I texted my friend a long response of advice she asked for. Her response “k”.😀

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 7:29 pm
watergirl wrote:
It’s actually something that came from gaming culture. It’s the opposite of rude, but my assumption (proved by this thread) is people using it or reading it have no idea what it really means. It means “k kewl”.

Here is the common explanation (read the whole thing):
https://www.urbandictionary.co.....rm=kk

Fascinating. And here I always thought it stemmed from laziness to move your thumb from the “O” to the “K”. Smile

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 7:31 pm
amother Dahlia wrote:
I agree. I have heard from teens they feel the opposite tho. That just 1 k is rude. But im with you.

This is what my teens have told me- k is rude. That’s how I do it though.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 7:36 pm
flowerpower wrote:
If you know me- nothing is associated with negative. I’m a verrrrry positive person. And speaking of which- I texted my friend a long response of advice she asked for. Her response “k”.😀

Haha. I hear. For me, no matter how positive a person you are, kkk always makes me think of white supremacists in white hoods. Maybe it's cultural?

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 8:39 pm
PLEASE don't use KKK. Consider yourself lucky that you're too young for this acronym to freeze the blood in your veins. To people of a slightly earlier generation than yours, KKK is the equivalent of a swastika. The Ku Klux Klan is still around and still doing its dirty work, but its place in the limelight has been taken by Alt Right, Proud Boys and other white supremacist groups. Different names, same agenda.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 8:50 pm
zaq wrote:
PLEASE don't use KKK. Consider yourself lucky that you're too young for this acronym to freeze the blood in your veins. To people of a slightly earlier generation than yours, KKK is the equivalent of a swastika. The Ku Klux Klan is still around and still doing its dirty work, but its place in the limelight has been taken by Alt Right, Proud Boys and other white supremacist groups. Different names, same agenda.

Fine. Well stick with kk then.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette