Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Getting a passport
1  2  Next

Tehilla

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 1:26 pm
Isn't there a yiddishe place that helps you get passports? Half the family has, and half not and we want to get everyone passports. Thanks for any help.

Toot

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 1:34 pm
Which country?

red sea

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 1:35 pm
I don't know but its not that difficult to do it at the post office. Bring passport photos - most drug stores & photo places do that, bring birth certificates, filled out the forms (you can download & print- I think do not sign them until you are there, cash or checkbook, bring you and your husband & your drivers licences - if only one of you can go you need to download a second form & have it notarized and bring that along too.

Tehilla

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 1:35 pm
sorry, US, in Brooklyn. I didn't mention it because I put it under NY related inquiries.

Toot

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 1:38 pm
Oh sorry, didn't realize this was a NY related inquiry. I don't know of any Jewish organizations, but you'll probably have to go in to the passport bureau to get it. Unfortunately, if it's your kids' first passport, they'll have to go as well.

http://travel.state.gov/passpo......html

Tehilla

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 1:40 pm
thanks.

Twizzlers

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 3:19 pm
I think any place other than the post office will charge an arm and a leg to "help" get a passport, but its really unnecessary unless u are in a big rush.

if u need, Lipsco on New Utrecht in BP does it.

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 3:28 pm
Is there a specific reason you need a jewish place?

Tehilla

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 3:29 pm
not really. I just hate the idea of waiting in line with my kids at the crowded post office...

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 3:30 pm
well, if you're able, go first thing in the morning the passport window is open.

red sea

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 3:31 pm
You can go to an less crowded post office - just pick a quieter neighborhood than others.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 3:32 pm
oh my dd wants one too - in case she visits her friend in vancouver ...

anybody know how long it takes to get one ...

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 3:35 pm
greenfire wrote:
oh my dd wants one too - in case she visits her friend in vancouver ...

anybody know how long it takes to get one ...

I don't remember how long it takes to get one in the states, but when I applied for my kids here, we got it the next week LOL .
The Argentenian one we didn't get for 2 1/2 months.

red sea

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 3:40 pm
It usually takes about a month to get it but if its busy season sometimes it can take longer

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 3:48 pm
wow - I guess there goes the summer in vancouver ...

Tehilla

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 3:48 pm
green there is an expedited service. that much I know. you just have to pay extra.

Toot

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 3:55 pm
I had to renew mine before last Pesach, and they were so backed up. You had to wait months before getting it in the mail. I was going to Israel a few weeks later, so I had to go in to the passport place downtown (not just the post office) and wait all day for it. It was not fun.

My parents, on the other hand, were in the same situation, but they went to Stamford CT instead of NYC. They were in and out in under an hour (might have been as little as 15 min.)

In either case, you need to call their automated system and make an appointment.

red sea

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 3:56 pm
yeah, there is a 3 week one I think and a few places you can get it the same or next day, for extra $ of course. Do you need a passport for Canada yet? I think a birth certificate or drivers license may still be enough depending, you should look into it still, there is a way.

Toot

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 3:58 pm
I think you do need for Canada, that was part of the reason the whole system is so backed up. Now many more people need a passport than before.

red sea

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 4:07 pm
here greenfire

govt info on us / canada travel

or in english

about.com
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries