Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Unique Family Words {now anonymous enabled}
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 6:17 pm
We dropped this some decades ago because we didn't want to bring it into the next generation and our spouses didn't want to either. But we used it for 2 decades growing up. Can't Believe It
Bah for poop
You can imagine how we laughed at 5 years old when we learned pasach beis.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 6:24 pm
amother Vermilion wrote:
We dropped this some decades ago because we didn't want to bring it into the next generation and our spouses didn't want to either. But we used it for 2 decades growing up. Can't Believe It
Bah for poop
You can imagine how we laughed at 5 years old when we learned pasach beis.

Similar . We called it “Eh-Eh”, so we did the same with segol Aleph.

amother
Crocus

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 6:28 pm
Our made up word is over 65 years old. I was born when this word was already in the family. The word is Caloupie. ( ca-lou-pee). It means to take a nibble from the Shabbos food. ''Who caloupied the chicken/kugel?'' or ''Ma, Yossi is calouping all the cake! It is still being used.

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 6:35 pm
My grandparents were Hungarian.

Whenever there was a mess my grandmother was upset about the "wasár (vushar)" which literally means a market/shopping center.

I've subconsciously started using the term when the house is messy and I've heard my kids use it too.

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 6:59 pm
amother Crocus wrote:
Our made up word is over 65 years old. I was born when this word was already in the family. The word is Caloupie. ( ca-lou-pee). It means to take a nibble from the Shabbos food. ''Who caloupied the chicken/kugel?'' or ''Ma, Yossi is calouping all the cake! It is still being used.

We say "dgibah" same meaning!

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 7:06 pm
Tosh-tosh is a washcloth (pronounced tawsh-tawsh, not like nosh)

Boulies are blueberries

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 7:07 pm
We have an empty space in our house that ciuld so have been made into a room, but we havent done it yet.

We called it the waiting room when we moved in cos its lit a waste of space.
Even my 3 yr old calls it that.

If you know me say hi!

amother
Begonia

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 7:09 pm
Italian ices- kratzer ices (scratch ices, cause you scratch it with a spoon).
Fuchy (pronounced with a ches)- #2
Budy- bath
Chaluptchas- written on the bag, when hiding ices.

amother
Chicory

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 7:16 pm
amother Magenta wrote:
Similar . We called it “Eh-Eh”, so we did the same with segol Aleph.

Same. Now I'm wondering if there are two families using the same term or if this is my sister Wink.

amother
Maize

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 7:18 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
Same. Now I'm wondering if there are two families using the same term or if this is my sister Wink.

Growing up, I knew a family who used this term, now I'm wondering too

amother
Iris

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 7:20 pm
We have so so many, we often joke about writing our own family dictionary! Honestly sometimes in public I accidentally use a made up word. It’s so ingrained I don’t even realise... LOL

agreer

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 7:35 pm
I've been saying it's "frostnipistan" instead of freezing since last week. But I assume that may gain popularity.

amother
Gardenia

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 7:36 pm
fbc wrote:
We say shmoopy instead of poopy Smile

us too.. no idea where that one came from though!

metacognizant

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 7:49 pm
We have so many of these!

The most useful is “sperg” (as in ASPERGER’S SYNDROME, which my husband and oldest son have). A sperg is a long winded monologue on a topic that interests the speaker but not the listener. To sperg is to make such a monologue. This word is not used mockingly. My husband used it early in our relationship and clearly it was a word already in his vocabulary. My kids think it’s a real word though. I use it every single day. “Herschel, I have been listening to you sperg about pythons for 40 minutes and now you absolutely have to stop.”

A bongle is my husband or sons. A bonglette is my daughter.
Rangow is the noise an angry baby makes when it’s crying, or a baby that makes such a noise.
To be angee is to feel pretend, good natured indignation.
To shmurgle is to mess with something.
A shishel is a sink liner. (Is this a real word? My father and his parents use it as if it were, but I’ve never heard it anywhere else.)
A jowabunga is a hangnail.

Last edited by metacognizant on Thu, Jan 19 2023, 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 8:04 pm
metacognizant wrote:
We have so many of these!

The most useful is “sperg” (as in ASPERGER’S SYNDROME, which my husband and oldest son have). A sperg is a long winded monologue on a topic that interests the speaker but not the listener. To sperg is to make such a monologue. This word is not used mockingly. My husband used it early in our relationship and clearly it was a word already in his vocabulary. My kids think it’s a real word though. I use it every single day. “Herschel, I have been listening to you sperg about pythons for 40 minutes and now you absolutely have to stop.”

A bongle is a child in our family.
Rangow is the noise an angry baby makes when it’s crying.
To be angee is to feel pretend, good natured indignation.
To shmurgle is to mess with something.
A shishel is a sink basin. (Is this a real word? My father and his parents use it as if it were, but I’ve never heard it anywhere else.)
A jowabunga is a hangnail.

Shishel is Yiddish for basin. Like the bowl used for negal vasser or the bucket you use to soak clothes in.

amother
Alyssum

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 8:07 pm
Zurech for zip ties.
Because somebody Zurech is the king of zip ties in our community.
He puts together pisom veramseis with zip ties.

amother
Alyssum

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 8:09 pm
Chruzhel/for nuts
(When someone is acting nuts.)

Chruni for an adorable kid.

amother
Alyssum

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 8:12 pm
Lemaal for normal in Yiddish.
From a toddler’s mispronunciation.

metacognizant

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 8:24 pm
amother Vermilion wrote:
Shishel is Yiddish for basin. Like the bowl used for negal vasser or the bucket you use to soap clothes in.

Got it. But a sink liner?

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 8:30 pm
amother Garnet wrote:
When I said, "I have to stay home on this day, I have stuff to take care of", my teen DD who was home said, "aww, my favorite nickname!" I said, "okay, you now have dubbed yourself", and henceforth, she is known to the family as "Stuff".

Funny you should say that. I'm sometimes called "Ms. Stuff" at work because I often label files and storage boxes "Personnel stuff" "Newsletter stuff" "Training stuff" etc.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics