Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Anything to help Ds 12 grow taller?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 11:35 pm
My son is taking growth hormones. He does not have growth hormone deficiency but something else affecting his growth. Chasdei Hashem it is working! We thank Hashem every day that he is growing! Along with physical height came an improved self esteem and confidence. If your child needs then pls give. It costs about $6000 a month. Bh our insurance covers it!

amother
Moccasin

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 1:50 am
There are some patient assistance programs that cover the total cost of growth hormones. Usually the doctor can set up an application for that in case insurance rejects it. There are also copay cards that can cover almost the entire cost.

amother
Jean

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 6:21 am
amother Watermelon wrote:
Did you go to an endocrinologist? They will do a bone xray and bloodwork.

My ds took Anastrozole for a while. It's a tiny pill.

My ds was in the low teen percentile all his life. He went on Anastrozole. By 6 months ago he grew over 3.5 inches. His percentile went up to the 20s, bh. (This was over the summer)

Please note: I was warned that he may have grown this without any intervention, but his expected growth with no intervention was 5 2".

We also wanted ds to always know that we tried our best to do something about his height. I have some Male family members that are under 5 4" and they aren't to happy about it.

Bh today dc is 16 and is just over 5 4". He is stopped taking Anastrozole. Hopefully he will grow a bit more.

what is anastrozele?
only by prescription?

how is it diff to growth hormone?
why dont more people give it?

amother
Jean

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 6:23 am
amother cornflower wrote:
If you read Yiddish, Hamaspik Gazette gave out a book with a chapter on how to help short children grow taller.
Can be very useful.
if you pm me, I will send you their suggestions.

how can I pm you?

amother
Jean

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 6:24 am
amother Bluebell wrote:
Agree

Zinc!!

Protein

Milk is not a good source of calcium though

Curious about the basketball players, is it true?
dh is very tall and plays, but only started after 16

can you just give zinc?

I did a hair test for my child and the zinc was normal.

shouldnt you test if you need it?

amother
Jean

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 6:26 am
#BestBubby wrote:
From some google research here are some non-hormone suggestions:

Protein - especially milk which contains calcium and vit. D for strong bones

and Eggs

Multi Vitamin + a ZINC vitamin

high impact exercise - like running, jumping, basketball (jumping).

Ever notice basketball players and runners are very tall?- they weren't as kids.

high impact exercise causes tiny stress fractures, that add bone when they heal.

Yoga, doing stretching exercise, hanging from arms, standing on head (loosens spine)

Getting 9 - 10 hours of sleep for growing kids

Do NOT lift heavy weights as that compresses the spine.

which foods are highest in zinc?
and what are the richest sources of protein?
e.g if you say cheese then which cheese?

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 6:32 am
My kids are short. They were both under 5 feet at their bar mitzvahs. My 14-year-old is still 4'11. My 16-year-old had a growth spurt this past summer and is now around 5'5 or 5'6. As long as my doctor isn't concerned, neither am I. My 16-year-old's voice didn't start changing yet, so he still has time to grow more. My 14-year-old isn't showing signs of puberty yet, so I'm not concerned about him either.

tweety1

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 9:15 am
amother OP wrote:
Wow thank you all! Dr wasn’t concerned but he said he’s in the 10 percentile. Meaning the other 90 are taller than him. He also gave me a referral to an endocrinologist. But I wanted to do some research first. Bh he eats very well. Likes good healthy food. But he doesn’t move a limb!! Besides going down the block to his bus stop. He’s the child that can sit and read or draw for hours without getting tired. He doesn’t sleep too much either. I try that he be in bed for 10. Ok, so will get him to do some stretches. Should I get that over the door bar?? Or just teach him some yoga steps? I appreciate all advice!

My dc also eats very well. Dc is a healthy eater too. Dc loves healthy food and really doesn't like junk, snack, ice cream. These things dc never touched. Even as a little kid, used to take one piece of a snack and give me the rest, one lick of a lolly and throw it out. Dc sleeps well too but is tiny. Very narrow. I told my dr alot has to do with genetics. Dh has a brother that's the exact same way. Dc does get exercise in. Walking to/from school. Not much. 10 min each way.

amother
Aster

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 9:34 am
What's considered short? My son is complaining that he's the shortest in his grade and he's 5"3.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 9:42 am
The 5 building blocks of growth are - getting enough:
Sleep
calories
hydration
exercise
calcium

I saw growth with my petite daughters when I made sure they were getting enough exercise - particularly over the winter when they tend to stagnate, I enrolled them in gymnastics, sports, ice skating, etc....(whatever interested them).

amother
Jean

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 9:43 am
Chayalle wrote:
The 5 building blocks of growth are - getting enough:
Sleep
calories
hydration
exercise
calcium

I saw growth with my petite daughters when I made sure they were getting enough exercise - particularly over the winter when they tend to stagnate, I enrolled them in gymnastics, sports, ice skating, etc....(whatever interested them).

do you know the best sources of calcium? (not milk)

I dont like calcium supplements and plant based isnt absorbed as well as animal

amother
Offwhite

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 9:49 am
there was a book I remember buying with excercises how to grow taller (bought it when I was a kid). It was mereley kind of yoga excercise streches...

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 9:58 am
amother Jean wrote:
do you know the best sources of calcium? (not milk)

I dont like calcium supplements and plant based isnt absorbed as well as animal

We never got far with the supplements anyway (DD hated them). Just lots of cheese stix for snacks, pizza, green vegetables, almonds, orange juice with added calcium....

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 10:11 am
amother Skyblue wrote:
last checkup about 4 months ago, he was 4'8'' and about 70-75lb (don't remember exactly)

Age?

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 10:47 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Age?

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 11:13 am
tweety1 wrote:
Just don't do hormones. I have a good friend who's niece grew in the width instead of the length as a side effect. She was tiny skinny girl.
Eta: I'm saying this as a mother who has very short 16 year old. Dr only wanted me to do hormones. I refused. Dc had a growth spurt between ages 14-15. Still pretty short but ok. I later learned from my mil that her kids always had a growth spurt that age. While I'd love for dc to be a good few inches taller I ain't giving hormones.

What's with the fear mongering? Some children are deficient in GH and need the supplements.
Growing in the width happens to many preteens at that stage. Not necessarily connected to the GH. It's not even a listed side effect.
I have adult in law siblings that are very short and are resentful till today that their parents didn't do anything to try to help them grow. You also need to think about your child's perspective.

Op definitely first stop should be your endocrinologist. You can't lose. See if there's a medical reason. Once you have that info you can decide what you want your next step to be.

My son is deficient in GH and insurance is covering it without an issue. B"h he's on it for 2 years and growing nicely.
If you can help your child why shouldn't you?

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 11:32 am
The first thing the endocrinologist will do is check bone age--an x-ray of the hand that determines where your son is up to in his growth. Sometimes kids have a delayed bone age, meaning they will have more time to grow after their peers have stopped growing. There is also bloodwork they will do to check for other possible causes of slow growth, including celiac disease. The last step is a growth hormone stim test, which needs to be done over several hours, to determine if your child is growth hormone deficient.

I have had two children found to be growth hormone and insurance covered growth hormone for them. There are copay assistance programs available so I had no out of pocket cost. BH both of those children have grown very nicely (vertically, not horizontally!) with the growth hormone. (One DD ended up with an adult height of just 5 ft--she would have been much shorter without the treatment.) Another of my children was found not to be growth hormone deficient but insurance paid for growth hormone for a couple of years because his projected adult height was under 5'4". It was amazing to see him outgrowing his clothes (when he had been the same size for a long time).

For the person whose son took Anastrazole, I believe that it is a hormonal treatment to delay puberty and thereby enable him to grow longer. I think there are other similar medications that can be given in these situations as well, where there is no growth hormone deficiency but they want to give the child more time to grow naturally. This is another thing to discuss with the endocrinologist.

12 years old is not too young to start. He iy"H has several more years of growth ahead of him and you want to maximize his growth during those years.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 12:02 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
What's with the fear mongering? Some children are deficient in GH and need the supplements.
Growing in the width happens to many preteens at that stage. Not necessarily connected to the GH. It's not even a listed side effect.
I have adult in law siblings that are very short and are resentful till today that their parents didn't do anything to try to help them grow. You also need to think about your child's perspective.

Op definitely first stop should be your endocrinologist. You can't lose. See if there's a medical reason. Once you have that info you can decide what you want your next step to be.

My son is deficient in GH and insurance is covering it without an issue. B"h he's in it for 2 years and growing nicely.
If you can help your child why shouldn't you?

I have to chime in, it's definitely neccessarily to take the child's perspective too! He/she will be the one who needs to live with the height, not the parent.
AFAIK there are only *two* instances where being short is a true advantage. When flying. And being a gymnast.

amother
Jean

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 12:35 pm
amother cornflower wrote:
If you read Yiddish, Hamaspik Gazette gave out a book with a chapter on how to help short children grow taller.
Can be very useful.
if you pm me, I will send you their suggestions.

how can I pm you?

amother
Jean

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 12:57 pm
I read that diet wont change height unless they are undernourished?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children