Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Not another "Help with Communities in the North" post

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 7:50 am
BS"D

Hi Ladies,

We recently made aliyah to JLM. Although we've been mostly happy here, neither my husband nor I are really city people and we're itching to move on within the next few years.

A little about us:

I'm more Torani, my husband is more Chardal. (I think that some (appropriate) secular books and music are fine or even positive for my kids' development, he would really prefer that they had only Jewish media). We don't have a TV, we don't plan to buy smartphones for our kids. We are VERY tzioni, and it's very important to my husband that we live in a community that has similar ideals. If there's not a photo of Rav Kook in the school, he's not interested in sending there. We have two girls who are both in mamad ganim right now and will probably attend the local mamad school BzH. (There is private Chardal school in the neighborhood that is a possibility.) Our daughters have integrated well with the language (not fluent yet, but can play and learn in Hebrew), so I don't think they'll need support services in English, especially not by the time we leave JLM. We live in a pretty Israeli area right now so my Hebrew has also improved substantially, but I have a long way to go. (I'm planning on going to ulpan in the next couple of months, I would really like to be fluent one day.) My husband is a native Russian speaker, and he also speaks English fluently and some Hebrew. He works remotely in high tech and I'm a SAHM. I get along well with our Israeli neighbors here and the "Israeli" culture is a lot closer to what my husband is used to from Russia, but I also like that there are a few anglos in the neighborhood that I can hang out with without the language barrier. We don't have a car right now because we don't need one where we live, but we plan to buy one before moving.

Our wish list:

1) Schools that are warm and have a strong Torani character--I.e. that the families who send there are Dati (preferably mostly Torani), where the kodesh learning is engaging but the chul learning is also "positive." (Maybe there's a science fair or a math club?) Where we won't be the only family with a daughter who dresses tzanua outside of school and who doesn't have a smartphone. Separate youth groups. At the same time, I wouldn't feel comfortable in a chardal community where I'm the only one not wearing tights or reading secular fiction books, and I do want my kids to have a decent secular education. (Enough that they can go to college if they want.) I don't mind driving 15-20m to school if that's what ends up happening, but I also know that realistically it will be better for my kids to live near their friends.

2) I have promised my mother (perhaps foolishly) that we won't live over the green line. Yes, I know, this severely limits our options.

3) I would like to be able to have a house or a "Duplex"/"Rowhouse" with a garden. Our budget is probably between 2 and 2.5m NIS. (Feel free to tell me that this isn't enough and I'm dreaming Laugh ) We would also like to rent a house or an apartment for a couple of years before buying, so ideally a community that has some rental options. We would definitely consider buying on paper.

4) A few anglo families that are friendly and would come over if I invited them for Shabbat/YT. I don't need it to be the type of community where everyone invites, though that would be nice! I like hosting.

5) Nice playgrounds and some greenery would be ideal. I would rather live somewhere that doesn't have constant construction, though I realize pretty much everywhere in Israel is "under construction" at the moment.

6) Ideally, a big supermarket and clothing stores etc within a 20-30m drive. Would also prefer a big city within 40m-an hour (Haifa or Tiveria).

7) Would prefer cooler climates, but I'm flexible.

People have suggested: Yavniel, Charish, Maalot, Karmiel, Pardes Chana, Moreshet. If you live in one of those places and you think it would/wouldn't be a match for us, feel free to reply! Also very interested in hearing other ideas. Thanks very much in advance!

amother
Sand

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 9:27 am
Two communities that come to mind that meet most of your requirements are nof ayalon and mevo choron.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 9:44 am
I second Nof Ayalon, if your budget stretches that far. But your best bets are really over the green line. Does your mother understand that it doesn't necessarily mean living in a trailer on a hilltop, surrounded by angry Arab villagers?

grivky

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 9:44 am
You sound similar to me in a lot of ways.
חריש / Harish seems to fit VERY well with what you’re looking for.

1. Torani and chardal schools
(We’re part of a garin torani community with a shul , Rabbi, shiurim, events…)

2. Not over green line

3) There are some attached houses for sale around 2.5

4) lots of friendly, frum anglos.l

5. Amazing playgrounds. We have a forest.
Yes, there is construction here.

5) a few big sumermarkets , stores in the city, more to come in the future. 20 min from Hadera

7) climate is warm

Feel free to pm message me!

amother
Lightgray

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 6:42 pm
Definitely check out Karmiel and Moreshet !

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 4:12 pm
Thanks so much to everyone who answered so far! Especially grivky, who was super helpful in DMs Smile

lightgray, do you live in either of those places or know more about them?

ora_43

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 4:30 pm
Charish sounds like it might be a good fit. I knew a lot of people who live there (like, weirdly a lot, I think about half the young families from my old neighborhood moved there LOL ) and they are a lot like how you describe yourself.

IDK how many English speakers there are, but definitely at least a few.

There are also a couple of Haifa neighborhoods that might be a match - Neve Shaanan, and Kiryat Shmuel (<- technically in Haifa, but actually in the Krayot, which, warning, is very warm). Neve Shaanan has nicer weather, Kiryat Shmuel is more heavily religious.

Aylat

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 4:35 pm
amother Sand wrote:
Two communities that come to mind that meet most of your requirements are nof ayalon and mevo choron.

I read the OP and thought immediately of Mevo Choron, but it's not in the north and it sits right on the green line.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 5:22 pm
Moreshet is not Torani, and it is very hard to find a rental. Karmiel or Harrish seem like a better bet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions