Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Matbucha

Tila

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 4:18 pm
any easy and tasty recipes???

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 4:32 pm
1 diced onion
3 red peppers
3 tomatoes
ketchup
crushed red pepper
cumin
saute onions and diced peppers until peppers are soft and onions are translucent. Add tomatoes, ketchup (just enough to partially cover vegetables). Add spices, stir, and simmer appr. 1/2 hour.

It makes quite a bit, so you can do less peppers and tomatoes. I used to put in a little crushed red pepper, but my kids don't eat it, so I've been putting in more. The recipe doesn't call for salt, but we like salt, so I add it. I blend a little of it after because I don't want all chunks.

Last edited by yo'ma on Sun, Jun 15 2008, 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Helani

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 6:18 pm
2 green peppers
6 tomatoes
4 cloves garlic
2 TBS paprika
salt, pepper
2 TBS olive oil

Saute garlic and peppers in olive oil until soft. Add the rest of ingredients and cook until liquid boils out and it reaches a good consistency (abt 45 minutes).

pacifier

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 6:35 pm
I'm not sure about quantities....

you could use a can of whole, peeled tomatoes which you can cut in quarter. roast 2 peppers in the oven until black on all sides. you'll just have to peel them under cold water. then slice the peppers, add them to the tomatoes.
salt, garlic, oil,paprika and whatever spices you like(oregano,basil,thyme would add a touch of Mediterranean taste).
let simmer for the longest time possible, stirring every few minutes and making sure that it doesn't burn.

AGINY

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 7:00 pm
Tried and true, no fail.

You can make as much as you want, the amounts are:
for each two cans of hunts stewed tomatos (not pealed tomatos and not tomato sauce) you use one jalepeno and one clove of fresh crushed garlic.

Heat a drop of oil till HOT. Add jalepenos and garlic and then right away add the stewed tomatos. Bring to a boil then turn down to low and let it simmer for a loooooooooooooooooooooong time until ALL the liquid has boiled out and it is thick and a rich red.

This is a staple in my house, I make it pareve and use it as a base for shakshuka, as a topping for baked fish, and my husband puts it on everything that most people each ketchup with. I do ten cans at a time, but like I said, you can do as much or as little as you want. It stays a full two weeks in the fridge.

TheBeinoni

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 4:47 pm
ketchup in maboucha?!??!?!! shock

we do it like this (DH is Moroccan so we do things the "old country" way - always the tastiest!)

2-3 onions chopped
4-5 red peppers cut into strips, some shorter some longer
6 garlic cloves chopped into small pieces but NOT minced
tomatoes - use fresh, or use canned diced (about 4 cans)
sudani peppers (those small dried up red peppers) - I would use about 3, open them up so the seeds spill out and it will be SPICY but good!

spices to taste: tumeric (carcum), cumin, coriander, cardamom, salt, cayenne pepper or paprika harifa (or both!)

saute in OLIVE oil onions, peppers (excluding sudanis), and garlic till they become soft
add in spices to taste
add sudani peppers
then add tomatoes, cook on low heat for a few hours, adjusting the spices to taste

Tila

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 10:50 am
YUM!!!!! No roasted red peppers?????

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 12:35 pm
In Israel real Moroccans peel the peppers and tomatoes before cutting up. Peppers and tomatoes medium cubed or peppers in strips. Ashkenazim make it with canned, peeled, tomatoes as do young girls who work.

The Tunisaim have something similar called makbuba, but much more charif. My dil makes it.

TheBeinoni

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 1:44 pm
Tila wrote:
YUM!!!!! No roasted red peppers?????

depending on how much time I have, I roast the peppers first then peel them, but I dont always have time for this and I hate buying the ready made, dunno why, but I prefer fresh!

Quote:
In Israel real Moroccans peel the peppers and tomatoes before cutting up.

oh so the ones who use cans are less moroccan Tongue Out

it comes down to $$$ and time available. some ppl claim that real tomatoes come out better (of course there is more prep and takes longer to cook) and then there are others (all real moroccans I can assure you - born in morocco and everything!) that say they taste no significant difference. the beauty of cooking is thatyou make it your own, so just find a way that works for you and that DH (and you!) cant get enough of! Smile

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 2:03 pm
My friends say w/o peeling it is ma-ghil. So I ask them to make it for me when I have a simcha. Actually my Temenia dil makes an excellent matbucha because ds loves it, not sweet like the ready made.

Capitalchick

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 11:28 pm
The tunisian equivalent is called "mecbouba", and it goes a little something like this: Smile

Fill a pot with chunks of red and green peppers (you'll need lots! Maybe 4 of each), and also chunks of tomatoes (around 6 or 7). Slice up about 8 or 9 cloves of garlic and add to the pot. Then cut one banana pepper (they're long and kind of a light neon green pepper....I think sometimes they're called hungarian peppers). Add to the pot. The pour about 1/2 cup of oil into the pot and turn on the stove to medium high. The veggies will all start to sweat. Once their liquid is boiling, turn the temp down to simmer and just leave it on the stove simmering (no stirring) until it is reduced by about 85%. It shouldn't be watery. It's AMAZING!!!

TheBeinoni

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 8:49 am
ADVICE about the roast peppers:

What you can do is one day if there is a sale on red peppers buy a ton and roast them all that day. chop them the way you like and FREEZE them! They last for a good amount of time and that will cut down your prep time drastically! At the end of the day roast peppers are the best for mabouha because it gives the dip a soft, mushy consistency. YUMM!

Tamiri

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 8:52 am
I used a can of crushed tomatoes along with fresh tomatoes and pepper and garlic for the matboucha this week. Came out great! I also omitted the fresh hot pepper and cheated with just some hot pepper flakes. Totally delicious, piquant tomato-ey flavor.

ozeret

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 4:00 pm
Can you freeze matbucha?

Also, what's the difference between turkish salad and matbucha?

Thanks!!

TheBeinoni

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 11:38 pm
turkish salad has eggplant. matbouha does not.

yes - DEF freeze it!!!!! of course it tastes best the day its made, but its worth it to make a HUGE batch and divide it among tupperwares! very convenient!

Beauty and the Beast

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 12:31 am
I make matbucha many times, but watch out for those seeds from the hot peppers.... DO NOT TOUCH YOUR EYES... IT BUUUURNS!

Tamiri

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 2:21 am
ozeret wrote:
Can you freeze matbucha?

Also, what's the difference between turkish salad and matbucha?

Thanks!!

Ditto HotMama, it freezes beautifully.
Turkish Salad and Matbucha are totally different. Matbucha is essentially cooked-to-death tomatoes, Turkish salad (sorry, no eggplants in it from what I can tell after about 35 years of eating it) is a fresh salad, more like a salsa. It has tiny chopped veggies in it including lots of onion, parsley and other stuff. I think a little tomato paste binds it all together.

ozeret

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 12:12 pm
Thanks for the help Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics