Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Help sheva brachos
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 11:54 am
I need some advice please.
I'm making sheva brachos for about 40 ppl.
I was planning on making chicken on the bone but someone asked me why I'm not making meat.
One of the Ladies I'm making it with said nobody serves chicken on the bone at a simcha anymore (and added "my kids don't touch it!"I hope my guests will! Wink )
Hers the question:
1-Considering price of chicken nowadays how much more do you think it will be to serve meat?
2- how many pounds of roast(raw) do I need for about 40 ppl?
Working on a budget here, any input appreciated!
(The rest of the menu is challa & a couple of dips, deli salad, zuchini soup, jasmine rice and green beans to be served with meat or chicken, and then ice cream,cookies and fruits)

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 12:06 pm
No idea as to your questions but your menu sounds delicious and I would happily eat (and serve!) chicken on the bone at a simcha.

Mazel tov!

amother
Stone

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 12:19 pm
Even though chicken on the bone isn't elegant I think it's fine for Sheva brachos.
I make Sheva brachos a lot for friends never thought to serve meat.
I just made a chasuna and we served chicken on the bone. It wasn't my choice the other side choose the menu but it was fine.
That said if you do chicken on the bone just make sure there are no feathers and maybe do a stuffing or something to put under the skin but not necessary.
Your menu sounds delicious.

amother
Tuberose

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 12:28 pm
Sounds perfect yum everyone will eat it.

No need to go out of budget for 1 persons opinion- great group of people getting together to celebrate that's all that matters ... and I personally like chicken

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 12:32 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
Sounds perfect yum everyone will eat it.

No need to go out of budget for 1 persons opinion- great group of people getting together to celebrate that's all that matters ... and I personally like chicken

Chicken is perfect.

I live in Jerusalem and were lucky to get a protein at a simcha.

I know the standards are different in NY. I have loads of family there but still, it is beautiful to serve.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 12:33 pm
Maybe do boneless chicken with a mushroom sauce instead of meat?

tichellady

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 12:38 pm
if you want to do meat I would do meatballs. I don't think you need to serve meat

Tof Umachol

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 12:42 pm
Your menu sounds perfect to me.
Then again, I am in Israel and we keep things simple around here.
In my opinion, the atmosphere is much more important than fancy or expensive food.
Mazel Tov!

amother
Broom

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 1:29 pm
How's the price of chicken steak by you?

For some reason it is considered 'more elegant'.

My parents married off this year, prices were just starting to rise, but not crazy like now.
The hall told my parents they cannot raise their price but they always offered a choice of 2 mains on the menu, now you can no longer choose 2 cutlets. Has to be 1 cutlet and 1 on bone.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 11:49 pm
Thanks everyone! Chicken it will be!

amother
Skyblue

Post Thu, Jan 19 2023, 11:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
I need some advice please.
I'm making sheva brachos for about 40 ppl.
I was planning on making chicken on the bone but someone asked me why I'm not making meat.
One of the Ladies I'm making it with said nobody serves chicken on the bone at a simcha anymore (and added "my kids don't touch it!"I hope my guests will! Wink )
Hers the question:
1-Considering price of chicken nowadays how much more do you think it will be to serve meat?
2- how many pounds of roast(raw) do I need for about 40 ppl?
Working on a budget here, any input appreciated!
(The rest of the menu is challa & a couple of dips, deli salad, zuchini soup, jasmine rice and green beans to be served with meat or chicken, and then ice cream,cookies and fruits)

Please reconsider the jasmine rice and do something more neutral that more people like

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 12:14 am
amother Skyblue wrote:
Please reconsider the jasmine rice and do something more neutral that more people like

Never heard that jasmine rice has a strong taste. You don't like it?
Everyone eats it in our house!

amother
DarkRed

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 12:19 am
amother Skyblue wrote:

Jasmine has a distinct taste?

amother
DarkRed

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 12:20 am
I'd probably go with some kind of cutlet. Maybe chicken marsala idea...
I think it just looks more appealing than chicken on the bone

amother
Maple

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 7:30 am
Jasmine rice is delicious better than other types. Chicken is delicious.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 7:38 am
I love chicken on the bone
But I would take out the h bone so that when you eat the thigh there is only 1 bone left in the plate. Just much neater to eat
Save the rib bone for soup

If you do cutlet you might as well do a chuck roast for that price.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 8:17 am
What about chicken capons? By us they’re about the same price as chicken on the bone $2 a piece and much more elegant

Ruchi

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 8:39 am
amother Silver wrote:
No idea as to your questions but your menu sounds delicious and I would happily eat (and serve!) chicken on the bone at a simcha.

Mazel tov!

I just had chicken on the bone served at a simcha. It was breaded and absolutely delicious. Go for chicken and keep to your budget. No need to splurge on meat.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 10:08 am
I think it is ridiculous to state that meat is more elegant for a SB than chicken on the bone.

However I would serve a boneless chicken rather than with a bone because some people do not know how to eat chicken on the bone properly. Depending on price per serving, you can buy chicken breast on the bone and just pull off the meat very easily - you literally just pull it off the ribs.

One of the problems with a meat dish is that in general you need a good cut of meat for a roast which is significantly more expensive PER SERVING than a chicken dish.

There are many easy and elegant ways to serve chicken and chicken recipes are easily scaled up to feed 40

tichellady

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 10:25 am
amother Skyblue wrote:

imo jasmine rice is the most neutral food out there
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics