Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
"Can we have your makeup?"

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 10:05 am
Maybe I'm overreacting.

Teen dds casually asked me if they can have my makeup to take with them for play. They don't yet have their own makeup, and they're springing this on me last minute so I don't have time to get them any. There seems to be no other option.

I have ONE good concealer (almost finished). ONE good mascara. And so on. I use them every day before I go to work...if they get used up or lost, I'm sunk. I won't have time to get new ones before Monday. And makeup is not cheap! And it's hard to find my perfect color and product each time.

Am I crazy? They're good girls, but like hello! It's my makeup, and you just want to run off with it and scatter it all over some dressing room with your friends while you run around in the pre-performance chaos?

I'm nuts, right?

amother
Nemesia

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 10:07 am
Why doesn't the school provide makeup for the play?
If they do have to bring their own, you can do it for them at home.

scintilla

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 10:08 am
You're not nuts for not wanting to give it to them to take with, but they're also not nuts for asking - perfectly normal for teenagers not to realize any of the factors you mentioned.

When is the play? Can you order cheap something on Amazon to arrive in time (or to arrive by Monday for you), get from a drugstore motzei shabbos, have them share with a friend? Make them up before they leave?

amother
OP

amother Nemesia wrote:
Why doesn't the school provide makeup for the play?
If they do have to bring their own, you can do it for them at home.

That's what I offered, but apparently there won't be enough time.

amother
Forsythia

Not overreacting
I love this quote : 'a lack of planning on your part does not qualify an emergency on mine.'
Tell them no, and that they can use other friends' mother's makeup

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 10:10 am
Where do you live?
I'd run to target/walmart/drug store and buy them cheap stuff.

amother
Offwhite

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 10:13 am
Go to the drugstore and buy them some cheap stuff.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 10:13 am
I would also say no. But I'd offer to give them $15 to take to Walgreens or other drugstore and get some cheap makeup.

amother
Oleander

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 10:17 am
Perfectly normal request. You have every right to say no. Do you remember being in play on m”s using your mothers makeup? I do! It’s normal to ask. Just buy them cheap makeup on Amazon or cvs, and you’re good

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 10:25 am
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
Where do you live?
I'd run to target/walmart/drug store and buy them cheap stuff.

Not really happening with 3 hours to Shabbos.

I like the idea of ordering more makeup for myself for Monday, but I'm not sure if I'll have time for that, either. I'll see what extra things I have lying around. Nothing too exciting, but it will be better than nothing.

Thanks for all your ideas!

amother
Narcissus

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 10:25 am
I put it on my daughter last week before she left. Shabbos was over at 6:10. She was supposed to be there at 6:45! Luckily we live 3 minutes away. At 6:25 I did her makeup. She wouldn’t have known how to do it herself anyway. I’m surprised your girls know how to do their own makeup if they don’t wear yet. I would not have wanted to send her with things I use . If I had to send her with my makeup I would have sent old things that I don’t really use.

happy7

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 10:27 am
They have no idea how much makeup cost. Their request is very normal, and your refusal is also normal.

jflower

Post Fri, Jan 20 2023, 1:54 pm
Is there a dollar tree near you? They have cheap makeup.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children