Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
16 year old daughter did not start to menstruate
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 7:31 pm
I wonder if I have to worry. I have 16 year old twin girls. One got her period when she was 12 and a half. My other twin daughter still did not get her period. Any advice? I recently moved to a new city and Dr. does not know her so I do not feel comfortable to bring it up.

red sea

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 7:33 pm
What did her old Dr tell you? Can you call the old Dr on the phone? And if you are worried about her - you shouldnt be concerned with how well the new dr knows you, they still are a dr & thats what they are there for.

Last edited by red sea on Sun, Jun 15 2008, 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

mom7270

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 7:39 pm
I would definitely call a dr that you are comfortable with and ask. but I would also say not to worry because I got my period at 16 and my sister at 17 and bh we're both fine

Tefila

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 7:43 pm
Why is this posted in giving gifts LOL sorry couldn't resist Twisted Evil

Tehilla

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 7:45 pm
she wanted to be amother?

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 7:53 pm
I would think you can be amother in medical sections, no?

And yes, definitely have your daughter go to a doctor. 16 is not ancient, but it is late, esp. since her twin got it at 12. What does she think? Isn't she freaking out?

amother

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 7:56 pm
Well, she started to develope much later and she was still growing until recently, But I would like to hear similar experiences.
Thanks

amother

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 8:40 pm
I only got my period AFTER seminary Exclamation and Thank G-d I am normal and have kids.
My mother had me checked out and everything was fine. After seminary I DID though get some pills to help me get my period. But I took them for a while, and then periods started coming by themselves.

bebe3

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 9:15 pm
I remember a girl in my class did not get her period and her mother had her checked out. It turns out a small flap of skin that should have opened in that "area" did not and she had to have a small procedure to open it up. Maybe your daughter should have a physical to make sure everything is fine.

shnitzel

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 9:22 pm
Is she very thin? Not starting your period could ch"v be a sign of anorexia. Good luck.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 9:29 pm
the dr could take bloodwork and see if she is producing the proper hormones ...

amother

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 9:41 pm
yes she is extremely thin. She is 5 feet 3 inches and weighs 80 lb. I'm truly worried

amother

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 9:46 pm
amother wrote:
yes she is extremely thin. She is 5 feet 3 inches and weighs 80 lb. I'm truly worried

Please get her help. An eating disorder can cause the body to go haywire and not do what it's supposed to do. I can't say for sure if she does has an eating disorder as I don't know her, but from her height and weight, it sounds like she might. It's not a healthy weight at all for her height. She should be at least over 105 pounds.

simba

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 9:47 pm
That is very thin, I would have take her for a medical check and get blood drawn. It can be a symptom of a bigger issue.
Do not panic, just be thorough and make sure she is OK.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 9:48 pm
shock Has a she had a physical with a dr. who has witnessed her being at such a height/weight? I'd be more worried about that and is she getting proper nutrition than her cycles. Not having enough body fat or nutrients can mess up an already menstruating woman. I had friends in high school who were gymnasts...they were not that skinny bc they had muscle, but they had no fat and didn't get their cycles or even need bras until they stopped training (sometime in high school when it was clear they weren't going to the olympics, they tired of training all their non-school waking hours and BAM! finally hit puberty.)

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 9:48 pm
you probably should bring her to a nutritionist ... being weak from not eating is not fun ... eating properly so as to maintain a healthy skinny will benefit her in the long run ... she needs to be convinced of this ... skeletons are not really attractive either ...

good luck !!!

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 9:53 pm
She is clearly in need of some help. Why haven't you brought her to a doctor about this if you were worried?

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 10:02 pm
You should defenitaly have her checked out. It's important to know that everything is ok.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 10:23 pm
MY DAUGHTER DOES NOT HAVE AN EATING DISORDER . She is a top kid in school and is a happy kid. She loves to cook and eats very well.. Last year dr. told her she must gain 10 lbs. which she did... But she also grew 3 inches. So BMI is still below 15 percentile.

Cdlf

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 10:29 pm
I talk from experience when I say that the mother is always the last to know.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children