Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Is there any alternative to melatonin
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sat, Jan 21 2023, 11:18 pm
My doctor, a frum woman and very trustful , advised me to use Benadryl over melo.

amother
Charcoal

Post Sat, Jan 21 2023, 11:22 pm
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
My doctor, a frum woman and very trustful , advised me to use Benadryl over melo.

My doctor advised the exact opposite (and only for very limited use, because of an absence of studies showing long term safety in melatonin. Benadryl he said specifically not to).

For me, I find magnesium chelate and a weighted blanket help.

And of course ideally getting sunlight during the day and physical activity (exercise for me).

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Jan 21 2023, 11:29 pm
We use a bach remedy called White Chestnut. 2 drops on the wrist or in a bit of water 20 mins before bedtime - is magical BH! Sorted my insomnia when I struggled with it for months - wasn't funny, was terrible, couldn't sleep more than 5 mins at a time once or twice in 24 hours - such suffering and White Chestnut helped!

It's helping my children now a lot! Helps with winding down faster, sleeping through and sleeping better

amother
Aster

Post Sat, Jan 21 2023, 11:43 pm
sandyish wrote:
Tart cherry juice is a safe juice you can give your kids that is scientifically proven to raise their melatonin levels!

I’m surprised this isn’t widely known, consider this a PSA! Feel free to read the studies and you will see how effective it has been proven to be. It is also totally natural with no side effects. You may want to dilute or sweeten for taste, I’ve never tasted it so I’m not sure how concentrated or tart it is.

Link to OU tart cherry juice:
https://www.amazon.com/Dynamic.....ss_tl

Study: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22038497/

“Results: Total melatonin content was significantly elevated (P < 0.05) in the cherry juice group, whilst no differences were shown between baseline and placebo trials. There were significant increases in time in bed, total sleep time and sleep efficiency total (P < 0.05) with cherry juice supplementation. Although there was no difference in timing of the melatonin circardian rhythm, there was a trend to a higher mesor and amplitude.

Conclusions: These data suggest that consumption of a tart cherry juice concentrate provides an increase in exogenous melatonin that is beneficial in improving sleep duration and quality in healthy men and women and might be of benefit in managing disturbed sleep.”

Does the cherry actually contain melatonin? Wouldn't that have the same side effects she is trying to avoid?

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Jan 21 2023, 11:48 pm
Oh great point! Bach remedy White Chestnut has no side effects!

amother
Firethorn

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 12:04 am
It needs to start before bedtime, hyperactive children should ideally be off sugar, food dyes, msg, also potentially gluten and dairy. These are all excitotoxic.

Methylated b vitamins earlier in the day. Methylation is the process that converts serotonin into melatonin. But not too close to bedtime because they can be energizing.

Lots and lots of magnesium throughout the day. Taurate, malate and threonate should not give loose stools, they aren’t laxative like that. Footsoaks with magnesium flakes and epsom salt are super.

You can diffuse some sleepy essential oils.

Bioray sleepy is a good herbal sleep aid for kids. Gaba, l theanine and 5htp can help with sleep as well. Lemon balm and Chinese skullcap are great sleep herbals.

gr8Life

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 1:18 am
Valerian root - old country remedy to calm down and sleep

amother
Broom

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 1:33 am
amother Snowflake wrote:
Especially magnesium foot soaks. My kids who have a hard time winding down do a foot soak for 20-30 minutes and it really helps them calm their system, settle in to sleep earlier than usual, and sleep better.
Which magnesium do you use for the soak?

amother
Snowflake

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 1:39 am
amother Broom wrote:
Which magnesium do you use for the soak?

https://www.amazon.com/Yareli-.....ss_tl about one cup of this plus
https://www.target.com/p/epsom.....metab half to three quarter cup of this in a negel vasser bowl with warm water at least up till ankles.

amother
Pistachio

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 5:36 am
[quote="sandyish"]
Tart cherry juice is a safe juice you can give your kids that is scientifically proven to raise their melatonin levels!

How much would you take instead of 3mg melatonin?

Does anyone use lornithine?

Rappel

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 6:42 am
You can feed them turkey for supper

amother
Lightgreen

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 9:41 am
amother Clematis wrote:
Can u share studies that are showing that it's not safe for long term use?
We've tried many of the alternatives and my
6 year old son will literally be up until midnight if not for blessed melatonin. Tiny piece. (Yes, we've tried two weeks and it did not regulate. Up latest 7 and falling asleep only midnight)

Google it. There's only a couple of articles available at the moment, because using melatonin for kids is a fairly new thing. The first long term studies are now completing, hence the info coming to light now.

I don't want to change the subject here. But I do want to point out the hypocrisies among ourselves. We were so quick to discount any Covid treatments because of lack of long term studies, but we totally ignore the lack of long term studies in other areas such as this. Melatonin is a hormone. It's not a simple vitamin, or unimportant substance in our bodies. We are essentially feeding our kids hormones without knowing any long term ramifications.

How did all the previous generations handle such kids? This is not a new problem that was just invented.

taketwo

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 9:48 am
You have to wind them down starting at dinner time. Talk softly, move slowly, dim lights. Set the tone. If you're being jokey, silly, playing games with them and then going into the bedtime routine, you're not setting yourself up for success.

Calm voices, dim lights, warm baths. Noise machine.

smiletoworld

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 10:53 am
amother Seashell wrote:
We use a bach remedy called White Chestnut. 2 drops on the wrist or in a bit of water 20 mins before bedtime - is magical BH! Sorted my insomnia when I struggled with it for months - wasn't funny, was terrible, couldn't sleep more than 5 mins at a time once or twice in 24 hours - such suffering and White Chestnut helped!

It's helping my children now a lot! Helps with winding down faster, sleeping through and sleeping better

Where can I find it?

mom16

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 11:39 am
amother OP wrote:
Is there any alternative to melatonin, a supplement, vitamin , remedy etc
That can help calm my hyper children at bedtime?
Yes we have a structured bedtime routine, yes we do baths, stories, shema etc
They are just very restless energetic type of kids and it takes them forever to fall asleep, which affects their functioning the next day.
I am wary of giving melatonin as there have been recent studies that say it’s not the safest for long term use.

Omg same here! I've tried so so so many things already but wasn't successful with any. Some of them include Room darkeners,Sound machine, Night light, Weighted blanket, Magnesium baths & lotions and what not. He's 5 by now but was never a good sleeper. I always wonder if it's a concern that he barley sleeps. It's not like he's ever tired. He can go to sleep at 1AM and be up by 7 AM and function normally the other day as if he has 12 hours of sleep. I'm at my wits end. Yes I've tried to put him to sleep at different timings but that didn't help either. Melow chew didn't help the first time but I think the second time it did but I really refrain from using it. Dunno what to do

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 11:40 am
amother Aster wrote:
Does the cherry actually contain melatonin? Wouldn't that have the same side effects she is trying to avoid?

No, it doesn’t contain melatonin, but it induces the body to produce it.

simchamommy

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 3:23 pm
when it's fresh cherry season I've found that to work as well, or even frozen cherries
a few before bed seemed to do the trick

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 7:17 pm
smiletoworld wrote:
Where can I find it?

I get it from a homeopathic pharmacy in Hendon London, Jewish owned https://www.gouldshomoeopathic.com/. Phone in and he ships all over the UK. Maybe he'll ship international too - call them up. 0044 (0)208 457 2750 or 0044 (0)203 457 2753

Otherwise try google for a homeopathic pharmacy in your country. Or I'm sure if you google Bach remedy White Chestnut you'll find it on amazon or similar https://www.amazon.com/Ainswor.....ss_tl

mom16

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:42 pm
simchamommy wrote:
when it's fresh cherry season I've found that to work as well, or even frozen cherries
a few before bed seemed to do the trick

So what exactly is tart cherry juice? Just the juice of cherries?

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:08 am
Thanks Seashell, I'm going to try it for my 7 year old who takes hours to fall asleep at night and can't get up for school the next morning.

Really hope this helps!
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics