Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
At what age

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 6:24 pm
Should kids learn how to wipe themselves after #2?
DD is 4 and I always wipe her - she's tried doing it herself and obvs it wasn't too clean TMI.
Recently she mentioned that she asked her morah to wipe her and the morah told her she should wipe herself. I'm assuming this means most children her age don't need help?

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 6:25 pm
At 4 schools aren’t interested in helping. Teach her, and supervise. Explain to her how to do a better job.

amother
Mayflower

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 6:26 pm
I teach them at 4. As a former playgroup morah I always wiped kids and at 5 I taught them how to do it.

amother
Glitter

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 8:40 pm
I think 5 is the youngest age that can wipe themselves properly.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 8:45 pm
School expectations and developmentally appropriate expectations are completely different things. Just in general.

nelliesmellie

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 8:45 pm
My oldest DD’s preschool Morah (4 years old) told me to teach her to wipe and thats why we bathe kids every night- at the beginning they’re not good at it but they get better. It’s also a liability thing for teachers to be in the bathroom with skid unless it’s an emergency. Save your kid thr embarrassment of having thr teacher say no (and she may start holding it in if she doesn’t think she’ll get help which can lead to a host of other problems) and teach her to wipe and wash very well with soap after.

amother
Begonia

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 8:48 pm
I still wipe my 6 year old 🙈

amother
Chicory

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 8:49 pm
amother Begonia wrote:
I still wipe my 6 year old 🙈

Ugh same- almost 7...

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 8:51 pm
My kids learnt not to go in school. I still wipe my 4 year old, at least till 5. Otherwise they stink.

bsy

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 9:15 pm
I wipe my 4 and 6 year olds. I told them to do their best if they need to in school and I'll wipe them again at home.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 6:31 am
my DD6 does the best she can but she still has streaks in her panties. I wipe her tush when she gets home from school and she showers every night.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 8:51 am
amother OP wrote:
Should kids learn how to wipe themselves after #2?
DD is 4 and I always wipe her - she's tried doing it herself and obvs it wasn't too clean TMI.
Recently she mentioned that she asked her morah to wipe her and the morah told her she should wipe herself. I'm assuming this means most children her age don't need help?

4 to 6, though most 4 year olds cant.

My 4 year old said her morah wipes the kids (private home playgroup), which honestly would be my expectation. I don't know what happens in school settings. [Dd4 said she doesn't like to do that at morah]

Maybe this is why, as someone mentioned above, kids arrange themselves not to do this in school. Not saying its a good thing, but it's been universal among my 8 kids in school so far and for me as a kid. I never said anything and don't believe it's healthy, but I know they don't.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 9:39 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
School expectations and developmentally appropriate expectations are completely different things. Just in general.

True but don't expect them to wipe the kid
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics