Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Expensive recipes
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 6:39 pm
Am I the only one who finds that so many recipes in frum magazines include ingredients that are quite expensive?
Especially the "quick" ones that call for frozen pre-made ingredients...
Think about a shabbos dessert that includes ice cream ($8), frozen choc chip cookies ($7), Jar of lotus ($6) etc. etc. That's a very expensive dessert!!!

It's just honestly way out of my budget. And that's without mentioning the many meat recipes for weeknight meals. Crispy beef? Pepper steak? Sandwich steaks? Not in my house!! Even salmon is not for a weeknight dinner!

It's not only magazines. When I scroll through BCP I feel like an alien. So many of those recipes are entirely unaffordable.

Perrys

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 6:44 pm
You can adapt them . I use parts of recipes. I just made the poppers and they smell amazing

bsy

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 6:45 pm
Same. I never have these ingredients just waiting to be pulled out of the freezer 🤣🤣

mha3484

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 6:47 pm
I see it as inspo and adjust to what I have. I rarely use it verbatim.

amother
Mimosa

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 6:51 pm
Same. The cost of one recipe can feed my family all week.

imaima

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 6:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
Am I the only one who finds that so many recipes in frum magazines include ingredients that are quite expensive?
Think about a shabbos dessert that includes ice cream ($8), frozen choc chip cookies ($7), Jar of lotus ($6) etc. etc. That's a very expensive dessert!!!

It's just honestly way out of my budget. And that's without mentioning the many meat recipes for weeknight meals. Crispy beef? Pepper steak? Sandwich steaks? Not in my house!! Even salmon is not for a weeknight dinner!

It's not only magazines. When I scroll through BCP I feel like an alien. So many of those recipes are entirely unaffordable.

Aren’t magazines too expensive too?

amother
Iris

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 6:52 pm
amother OP wrote:

What's making you buy an $8 a week magazine?

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 7:07 pm
The prevailing attitude is the magazines present lifestyles of the rich and famous

Everyone else keeps a low profile and makes simple things

Stick to the Spice and Spirit Chabad cook book and you wont go wrong

amother
Jean

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 7:10 pm
amother Iris wrote:

The jewish magazines are being marketed only to the rich?

Some of us like to read on Shabbos and this is our "splurge". Or maybe she got it from her neighbor/friend/sister....

amother
Jean

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 7:11 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
The prevailing attitude is the magazines present lifestyles of the rich and famous

I don't agree. I do think that a large majority of the frum world are making these recipes.

TravelHearter

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 7:13 pm
I hear you, but there are definitely recipes that are doable. I know what recipe you’re talking about, I just saved it for a splurge week. It was great:) No I won’t spend the at money every week. Shabbos I don’t go crazy over the money either (we don’t have meat or anything like that but I mean ingredient wise); Hashem pays it back.

amother
Offwhite

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 7:15 pm
Of course they are. It's rare I try any of those recipes. What I like best are the down to earth informal surveys where, for example, they ask a bunch of staff members to provide their no-fail chicken recipe or favorite easy dessert or such. Those tend to be regular, normal recipes and I actually do use some of those ideas.
Otherwise, I just enjoy looking at the recipes but knowing I'm not going to actually make any. It's like looking a high fashion magazine such as Vogue. Fun to look at, but nothing I'll be buying or wearing.

amother
Begonia

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 7:36 pm
I totally agree. But the first time I really really felt it badly was when BCP storied a recipe the other day for dinner and they were cooking 3 packs of some steak- each one costing upwards of $20! So that’s minimum $60 for one evening meal!!

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 7:38 pm
amother Iris wrote:

I don’t. I bh have good friends that pass them down when they finish them. In fact one persons magazine goes to four people after

bsy

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 7:56 pm
amother Begonia wrote:
I totally agree. But the first time I really really felt it badly was when BCP storied a recipe the other day for dinner and they were cooking 3 packs of some steak- each one costing upwards of $20! So that’s minimum $60 for one evening meal!!

Yes. Skirt steak salad that the whole family loves etc etc..... Yes I'd also like expensive steaks lol. Not practical for most regular families.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 7:57 pm
amother OP wrote:

Crispy beef sounds interesting. We're can I find that recipe? I may save it for an occasion.

amother
Diamond

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 8:01 pm
I live in town and have a wide circle of friends in various financial brackets and none of us make these London broil salads or steaks for a regular evening dinner. We keep those recipes around for special occasions like a birthday dinner or a siyum celebration. Even pulled beef is a special occasion dinner and I see it posted as a weekday dinner all the time. OP, you're much less unique than you think Smile

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 8:02 pm
I read the magazines at my MIL's house or get it from a cousin when she finishes reading it.

ectomorph

naturalmom5 wrote:

"Aspirational materialism"
Otherwise I could have written this. Great post natural mom I 💯 agree

ectomorph

amother OP wrote:
I read the magazines at my MIL's house or get it from a cousin when she finishes reading it.

It's completely crazy and it's why I don't allow Mishpacha Ami or Binah in my house.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics