Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Please help me get rid of my smartphone!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 9:59 am
I have a smartphone that I've been using for years bec I needed it for work. I always promised myself and others that I only have it for work and would love to get rid of it. Well, now it seems I don't really need it for work anymore and I've been trying to get rid of it for past few months. I purchased a flip phone and iPad to transfer important apps like bank and Uber/Lyft, which I heavily rely on as I don't drive. However, I can't seem to do this! Who can transfer everything for me? Also, everyone has my cell number for my smartphone and I use to keep track of everything- all my appointments and personal notes etc. However I feel so uncomfortable like I'm not true to myself and for the sake of my children's chinuch especially, I so badly want to stop using it. Any suggestions?

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:23 am
Get a computer for your house. I never had a smartphone but a had a tablet and laptop and felt like it was easy to take along everywhere. Now I brought a desktop and set up in a room. That way I get to shop online, have the access but very minimal and not in a distracting way.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:25 am
Someone sent me this the other day and I was blown away. maybe it will give you some inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yzNNR2jcMU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsltwEAUqGk

Good luck!!!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:25 am
I already have a computer and laptop at home for work. So realistically speaking, can I transfer everything over myself or do I need cell phone store to do for me?

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:35 am
Hire an IT guy to do it for you

mha3484

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:44 am
If you have an Ipad and I Phone the apple store should be able to help you with this.

Odelyah

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 11:25 am
first of all yasher koach!! I am so inspired by your post. just want to add that I recommend transferring your phone number to your new flip phone so that you will start using that as your phone. you can still access your apps etc on your old phone via wifi, until you finish setting everything up on the ipad. if you don't know how to transfer your phone number your cell phone provider can help you. bracha v'hatzlacha!!!

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 11:46 am
Good for you!
If you have an iphone and back up everything to your icloud and sign in to your icloud on your ipad you can transfer everything.
Are you in America? you should be able to transfer your number to your flip phone. I think the only place that doesn't work is in Israel if you want to have a kosher number.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 11:48 am
amother Navy wrote:
Good for you!
If you have an iphone and back up everything to your icloud and sign in to your icloud on your ipad you can transfer everything.
Are you in America? you should be able to transfer your number to your flip phone. I think the only place that doesn't work is in Israel if you want to have a kosher number.

yes, I'm in America.

amother
Moccasin

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 1:27 pm
I got a flip phone a few months ago to use and only use my smartphone for banking and other things at home. (I never had access to internet/shopping/ social media or even whatapp on it any way) I transferred my number to the flip phone right away or I would have just fell back on the smartphone for convenience.
My issue is that the flip phones are very delicate the first I got lasted 2 months (LG classic) before it fell and broke, then I got a refurbished one from tag that was very strong but it was damaged and didn't last 2 days so I returned it. I bought the fig phone and had that for 2 months and now it broke. I'm very happy using a flip phone but I need to find one that won't break - I am a super crazy busy mother. my smartphone is waterproof and never broke in 3 years I have been using it.
does anyone have any recommendations?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 1:41 pm
How did you transfer the number?

amother
Moccasin

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 3:31 pm
I just moved my sim card over. got a new number for my smartphone - I don't really use it for calling.

iluvu

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 9:18 pm
Buy a phone cover and it shouldn't break

SR97

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 9:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
I have a smartphone that I've been using for years bec I needed it for work. I always promised myself and others that I only have it for work and would love to get rid of it. Well, now it seems I don't really need it for work anymore and I've been trying to get rid of it for past few months. I purchased a flip phone and iPad to transfer important apps like bank and Uber/Lyft, which I heavily rely on as I don't drive. However, I can't seem to do this! Who can transfer everything for me? Also, everyone has my cell number for my smartphone and I use to keep track of everything- all my appointments and personal notes etc. However I feel so uncomfortable like I'm not true to myself and for the sake of my children's chinuch especially, I so badly want to stop using it. Any suggestions?

My husband gave up his smartphone and got the quin phone-kosher. It has apps and he loves it!! He never had such an amazing kosher phone!!

amother
Caramel

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 10:27 pm
Back up all your contacts (should be a setting) and transfer your sim. I buy my flip phones on eBay used because eventually they break. I don't understand why anybody spends 200 on one dumb phone. I only get it if you're spending it on one of these special phones that has a few apps.

You can put Whatsapp on the computer or your phone with no data.

Personally I have my phone which is a flip phone and another phone that is a work phone. If I'm going somewhere for a long time I take both with me but if I'm going to a school or dinner or a wedding I just take the flip.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics