Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Simple dinners under $10
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
DarkPurple

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 3:54 pm
[quote="amother Clematis"]Evergreen in Lakewood sells wings for $0.69 if you buy at least 10lb
Quote:

I called them and they said no. Was it a one time thing?

How does anyone get full from wings??

DrMom

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 4:50 pm
amother DarkPurple wrote:
Who eats GEFILTE during the week?

People who don't feel the need to eat it every single Shabbat?

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 5:10 pm
DrMom wrote:

Or people who need a simple, cheap meal. I don't think it's so weird.
A loaf of gefilte fish can be cheaper than some of the other protein suggestions on this thread.

creditcards

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 5:46 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
Well she can cook a bag of macaroni or rice and use whatever protein is on sale- if any- cottage cheese, chicken, ground meat… she can add a can of corn or some carrot sticks for les than a dollar. That should be enough for 5 people especially if some are kids. It doesn’t have to be a gourmet meal every night..

How do you get your kids to eat those stuff, my kiss are so picky, they would rather eat cereal if they don't like the food. If I want them to eat regular food it can't be random things thrown together.

amother
Midnight

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 6:06 pm
Who eats GEFILTE during the week?

It looks and tastes different than shabbos gefilte fish... one of my kids favorite suppers. Also, I use the cheaper gefilte fish when I make it during the week. On Shabbos its only A & B.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 6:10 pm
DrMom wrote:

But it’s primarily a shabbat food and lots of people do eat it often on shabbat

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 6:19 pm
But it’s primarily a shabbat food and lots of people do eat it often on shabbat

If people are trying to save money, it's worth it to think outside the box. Some people here mentioned pareve cholent as a cheaper meal for during the week.
I've made potato kugel as a filling, inexpensive side dish for during the week even though most people think of that as a Shabbos food. Same thing.
Neither of those are that different than eating gefilte fish during the week.

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:06 pm
creditcards wrote:
How do you get your kids to eat those stuff, my kiss are so picky, they would rather eat cereal if they don't like the food. If I want them to eat regular food it can't be random things thrown together.

My kids are probably the most picky out there!
No one eats fish
No one eats chicken on a bone
One doesn’t eat any chicken, meat, fish or eggs
One won’t touch pasta

They all eat pizza
We have that 2x a week
All aside for one eats pasta with melted cheese- that’s another 2 suppers a week
And some of them will eat schnitzel aside for the one who won’t touch chicken
I’m really at a loss when it comes to supper time
I only clicked on this thread because I’m desperate for ideas… I don’t even care how much it costs as long as it’s something everyone will eat!

amother
Lily

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 3:47 am
amother Tuberose wrote:
My kids are probably the most picky out there!
No one eats fish
No one eats chicken on a bone
One doesn’t eat any chicken, meat, fish or eggs
One won’t touch pasta

They all eat pizza
We have that 2x a week
All aside for one eats pasta with melted cheese- that’s another 2 suppers a week
And some of them will eat schnitzel aside for the one who won’t touch chicken
I’m really at a loss when it comes to supper time
I only clicked on this thread because I’m desperate for ideas… I don’t even care how much it costs as long as it’s something everyone will eat!

Same here! Sad Yesterday I made lentil stew and the baby and toddler LOVED it! But the bigger kids wouldn't touch it. I made it because I want my little ones who will eat to get used to some real food, so they don't grow up like the others. But I did save some of the ideas here and I'm hoping to give some a try.

For you, Tuberose, here's what some of my picky kids will eat. Blintzes with cream cheese, Pesach cottage cheese pancakes (some kids sometimes), chocolate chip pancakes (some kids sometimes). They're cheap and fairly nutritious protein sources, so I guess they fit for this thread. But not as traditional or maybe as filling for those who are used to read food.

Blintzes: 1 cup flour, 2 eggs, 1 1/3 cups water, pinch of salt, splash of olive oil, mix with stick blender and fry. Most kids put cream cheese on and roll it up and eat. (I actually don't like this at all- it has no taste! Only for the pickiest eaters who won't touch anything with taste. If you have regular people, add some fried onions to the cream cheese at least!)

Cottage cheese pancakes: 2 cups cottage cheese, 1/2 cup potato starch, 2 eggs. Mix and fry. We like them best bug, the size of a small frying pan, 1 for each kid. With cucumber slices.
Because it's all they'll eat!!!

keym

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 8:03 pm
I'm just going to mention that Gourmet Glatt in Lakewood has ground beef and chicken mixed for $5.49/lb.
$10 worth bought almost 2 lbs and I was able to make a very generous amount of meatballs.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 8:29 pm
Soup and half a sandwich? Who gets satisfied with that?

I'll never forget the time I made a huge delicious hearty soup and homemade rolls for dinner plus a big vegetable salad, and my kids sat down by the table, ate a portion, and then asked what's for dinner.

amother
Tuberose

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 10:33 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
I'll never forget the time I made a huge delicious hearty soup and homemade rolls for dinner plus a big vegetable salad, and my kids sat down by the table, ate a portion, and then asked what's for dinner.

Probably because the meal was missing a protein
Soup is an entree
Salad is a side
Were the rolls supposed to be the main?

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 11:08 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
Probably because the meal was missing a protein
Soup is an entree
Salad is a side
Were the rolls supposed to be the main?

No it had a ton of beans and lentils plus veggies and potatoes.

amother
Tuberose

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 11:17 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
No it had a ton of beans and lentils plus veggies and potatoes.

I believe you that it was very filling but they were probably waiting for the chicken or fish..

amother
Milk

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 11:22 pm
Loaded nachos when tortilla chips are on sale. Refried beans, guacamole, pico de gallo with diced tomatoes, garlic mayo and spicy mayo drizzled prettily. Everything homemade. Add some taco meat if you have some ground beef.

amother
Midnight

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 11:23 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:

I once tried making a hearty bean soup with a rice side dish. I was feeling very clever at the time, like I had figured out a way to make a Very Healthy Filling Low Cost Meal.

My kids still talk about that time that "Mommy thought she made supper" LOL

My oldest earnestly explained to me that bean soup and side dish is Just Not a Meal!
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics