Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Simple dinners under $10
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Clear

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:02 am
amother OP wrote:
Am I the only one who buys mixed grind? On sale all the time, it's much cheaper than chicken or regular meat. I use just under a pound for dinner, if stretched by making sauce or mini meatballs it's always enough for me, dh, and 4 small kids. Maybe equivalent to 3 adults.

I live in an east coast town with multiple kosher stores- only one has the mixed.

If I use only one pound, I can feed me, dh, and a kid who doesn't really like the meal but eats it because there's nothing else. That's for a meal like meatballs or sloppy joes. We can do tacos for more people if I have lots of other fillings too.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:23 am
Parve cholent.

A heavy soup, no matter how full & heavy just wouldn't fly as a full meal for us. It helps as we need less of the other foods but not on its own/ just with bread.

Those suggesting dairy meals, I'd assume you don't keep Cy because those would be really expensive ( Cottage cheese is almost $5/ lb)

Chicken is still my second cheapest option, 4 chicken legs under $9, add some rice/ pasta & green beans & you feed 2 adults & 4 kids nicely.

amother
Nemesia

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:31 am
amother Snapdragon wrote:
Parve cholent.

A heavy soup, no matter how full & heavy just wouldn't fly as a full meal for us. It helps as we need less of the other foods but not on its own/ just with bread.

Those suggesting dairy meals, I'd assume you don't keep Cy because those would be really expensive ( Cottage cheese is almost $5/ lb)

Chicken is still my second cheapest option, 4 chicken legs under $9, add some rice/ pasta & green beans & you feed 2 adults & 4 kids nicely.

I agree with you about the soup and CY, but:
How are 4 chicken legs enough for 2 adults and 4 kids? That's not even 1 per person. Do you shred the chicken? Make a casserole?

amother
Snapdragon

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:35 am
amother Nemesia wrote:
I agree with you about the soup and CY, but:
How are 4 chicken legs enough for 2 adults and 4 kids? That's not even 1 per person. Do you shred the chicken? Make a casserole?

By leg I mean the drumstick + thigh.

amother
Nemesia

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:44 am
amother Snapdragon wrote:
By leg I mean the drumstick + thigh.

OK. Where I live, it would cost at least $12 for 4 quarters (leg+thigh).
I can get a package of 5 drumsticks (only) for around $8.
A lot of these prices are so location dependent.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:45 am
amother Nemesia wrote:
OK. Where I live, it would cost at least $12 for 4 quarters (leg+thigh).
I can get a package of 5 drumsticks (only) for around $8.
A lot of these prices are so location dependent.

Definitely

8x

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 11:14 am
I cook for 10 people. The protein costs $22-25, the starch about $5, and vegetables another $5-10.

Under $10 sounds like dinner for two.

jd1212

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 11:17 am
Made this last night and took 10 min- not super healthy with the ramen but was so easy and delish and granted one bowl is between the meal for 3 people. Multiply for your family.

Bowl of ramen, 7 scrambled eggs, frozen microwaved peas (both added at end) leftover chicken if you want. Splash of soy sauce and sesame oil if you have around.

amother
Tuberose

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 11:20 am
8x wrote:
I cook for 10 people. The protein costs $22-25, the starch about $5, and vegetables another $5-10.

Under $10 sounds like dinner for two.

Well she can cook a bag of macaroni or rice and use whatever protein is on sale- if any- cottage cheese, chicken, ground meat… she can add a can of corn or some carrot sticks for les than a dollar. That should be enough for 5 people especially if some are kids. It doesn’t have to be a gourmet meal every night..

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 11:24 am
So many meat meals! The lentil and bean recipes make more sense to somebody watching his budget.

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 11:25 am
A vote for Dinner Done baked ziti This is super easy and best of all it has no cottage cheese!

amother
Nemesia

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 11:27 am
DrMom wrote:
So many meat meals! The lentil and bean recipes make more sense to somebody watching his budget.

Right. Or sandwiches.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 11:28 am
I have a family of 8 but really tiny eaters so it's probably like feeding 4?
1 lb of ground meat, adding sides eg pasta or rice, feeds us all.

Yesterday was sesame chicken, sesame noodles, roasted butternut squash, and salad. Around $10-15

Sunday was baked ziti ($1 noodles, $3 cheese), coleslaw (1.59) and some salmon I got on sale for 5.99/lb. (Ate approx $6 worth) Also $10-15

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 11:29 am
Mushroom barly soup and rice
pareve cholent
eggs and bread
french toast
vegetable soup with pasta
bean soup

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 11:40 am
DrMom wrote:

No one here eats them unless they're in soup.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 11:52 am
I find as my kids get older, a lot of the cheap meals don't end up as cheap. Either no one likes it or they need to eat a lot to feel full. Thursdays is usually pasta and cheese night because my oldest gets cholent when he goes to learn so if he is not as full from pasta that's okay he will get something else.

We are a family of 7 and my 12 year old son has a big appetite. An average dinner is $4-5 per person. I shop strategically. When salmon goes on sale for $6.99 a lb I buy a bunch and stock my freezer. I get a case of chicken 2x a year which is a big help. If I serve meat its usually ground beef. Tonight I bought london broil to make steak sandwiches so you don't need as much meat since the bread and the side dish fills you up. I dont consider anything I cook extravagant and I love food and interesting ingredients. I put back tons of things at the grocery store because I cant justify the price.

$10 for two adults and maybe 3 little kids with small appetites could work but its not so simple when your kids get a lot older.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 12:24 pm
Of course this price range only really works for small/young families, bugger/older would need to multiply.

Cholov yisroel cheese goes on sale pesach, chanukah, and 9 days seasons. We buy about 10 bags shredded then for $2.5 then and each bag lasts 2 weeks, 4 oz is good for 1lb noodles. I imagine it will be more expensive by this summer but still loads cheaper than meat or chicken. Also, costco sells cholov yisroel shedded for very reasonable.

Lately I buy chicken fingers which are $8 a pound but are perfectly clean and just the right size so we are managing very well with just under a pound.

Personally fries are about as expensive as I'll go for a side dish ($4 if can't find cheaper variety) and I do make homemade sometimes for about half that.

amother
Tuberose

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 12:52 pm
You don’t need fries as a side
You can make baked potatoes

lamplighter

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 1:04 pm
When I started eating healthier foods, I noticed that keeping meals cheap was almost impossible. Low carb....forget about it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 1:08 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
You don’t need fries as a side
You can make baked potatoes

French fries are a relatively cheap convenience food... 15 min in my air fryer and a dinner my kids will never turn up their noses at.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics