Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Simple dinners under $10
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Snapdragon

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 1:10 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Mushroom barly soup and rice
pareve cholent
eggs and bread
french toast
vegetable soup with pasta
bean soup

Do all of you who eat such light dinner eat a really large lunch? We would not be satiated with just bean soup or the like. We're healthy weight people but we still eat more than that.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 1:30 pm
amother Snapdragon wrote:
Do all of you who eat such light dinner eat a really large lunch? We would not be satiated with just bean soup or the like. We're healthy weight people but we still eat more than that.

I think it would depend on the whole meal.

Meals that don't have animal protein can be very satiating - lots of people are vegetarians or even vegans and aren't hungry. Have you never had vegetable Chili or mushroom barley soup? A big bowl?
With crusty bread on the side?

You can always sprinkle some cheese on the chili - that is traditional

Of make the soup with a big soup bone - that is also very traditional for the cabbage soup my Bubbe would make. It didn't have much actual pieces of meat but it was a very satisfying meal.

Legumes and vegetables tend to be more satiating than animal protein.

Why wouldn't a big bowl of veggie "stew" would be very filling especially supplemented with some good bread.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 1:49 pm
Amarante wrote:
I think it would depend on the whole meal.

Meals that don't have animal protein can be very satiating - lots of people are vegetarians or even vegans and aren't hungry. Have you never had vegetable Chili or mushroom barley soup? A big bowl?
With crusty bread on the side?

You can always sprinkle some cheese on the chili - that is traditional

Of make the soup with a big soup bone - that is also very traditional for the cabbage soup my Bubbe would make. It didn't have much actual pieces of meat but it was a very satisfying meal.

Legumes and vegetables tend to be more satiating than animal protein.

Why wouldn't a big bowl of veggie "stew" would be very filling especially supplemented with some good bread.

I have sometimes tried making a One bowl supper with let's say shredded chicken and noodles and vegetables. But it's not so satisfying, since we eat with our eyes, and it feels like you're missing something so even if you're really full psychologically you don't feel it. So we often try to add something like soup alongside sandwiches.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 1:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
I have sometimes tried making a One bowl supper with let's say shredded chicken and noodles and vegetables. But it's not so satisfying, since we eat with our eyes, and it feels like you're missing something so even if you're really full psychologically you don't feel it. So we often try to add something like soup alongside sandwiches.

As I posted it is pretty traditional to "pair" dishes - I.e. crusty bread with a bowl of hearty vegetable soup.

Soup and half a sandwich.

Part of satisfying "appetite" is a variety of color and textures and flavors in a meal.

It also works against us because we can be very full from a meal and yet still have an appetite for a dessert that is a different flavor and texture than a meal. It is also why sweet and salty snacks can often be eaten in larger quantity than just a sweet or salty.

amother
Crocus

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 1:55 pm
lamplighter wrote:
When I started eating healthier foods, I noticed that keeping meals cheap was almost impossible. Low carb....forget about it.

I agree... Most of these ideas are unhealthy

amother
Tuberose

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 2:08 pm
amother Crocus wrote:
I agree... Most of these ideas are unhealthy

She wasn’t necessarily asking for low carb and very healthy..
I make some of the things posted for my family but I make completely different things for myself since I’m always being careful with my weight (and I’m not picky like most of my family is).

amother
Daphne

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 2:42 pm
A big bowl of thick, split pea and barley soup for each family member could be make for close to $1 . Add eggs and fruit and you have a low budget, tasty, healthy meal.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 3:03 pm
Reminds me if another idea...

Cut up a package of bologna ($2) and saute then scramble eggs on top ($3). Serve with some diced cucumber, pepper, and pickles ($3) and bread/pasta/rice ($1-2).

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 5:17 pm
My family loves lentil soup with grilled cheese sandwiches. Very filling. They like chili and cornbread too, again very filling.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 5:35 pm
Canned salmon sushi salad:
A cup and a half of rice.
2 cans of canned salmon mixed with teriyaki sauce (plus extra sauce for drizzling)
Veggies of choice (we use Avocado and cucumber but you could add carrots and skip avocado)
Optional: crunchy onions

Falafel:
Bag of frozen falafel
Package of pita
Chumus
Cut up veg/pickles
Optional: fries

Tacos: add a can of kidney beans to 1 lb browned meat and double the seasoning to stretch the meat. Also serve with more rice.

If you can find cheap meat on sale, pulled beef stretches well on pizza crust or buns

amother
Midnight

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:14 pm
amother Snapdragon wrote:
Parve cholent.

A heavy soup, no matter how full & heavy just wouldn't fly as a full meal for us. It helps as we need less of the other foods but not on its own/ just with bread.

Those suggesting dairy meals, I'd assume you don't keep Cy because those would be really expensive ( Cottage cheese is almost $5/ lb)

Chicken is still my second cheapest option, 4 chicken legs under $9, add some rice/ pasta & green beans & you feed 2 adults & 4 kids nicely.

CY Cottage cheese is currently on sale in Bingo and Gourmet Glatt. And I can feed my nice sized family with one pound cottage cheese in one pound spaghetti with tomato sauce, fish sticks or tilapia on the side.
Two pounds cottage cheese makes an awful lot of cheese latkes for around $9, add a can of corn or mashed potatoes to round it out.

These are both relatively filling suppers and they're both around $10. Except they don't include vegetables (which always makes suppers more expensive).

amother
Mulberry

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:45 pm
I do lots of lentil/bean soups. I don't so it as a full supper though normally. My kids are picky. Some kids will eat soup and it will fill them up and be supper and some children need more variety.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:51 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
Canned salmon sushi salad:
A cup and a half of rice.
2 cans of canned salmon mixed with teriyaki sauce (plus extra sauce for drizzling)
Veggies of choice (we use Avocado and cucumber but you could add carrots and skip avocado)
Optional: crunchy onions

Falafel:
Bag of frozen falafel
Package of pita
Chumus
Cut up veg/pickles
Optional: fries

Tacos: add a can of kidney beans to 1 lb browned meat and double the seasoning to stretch the meat. Also serve with more rice.

If you can find cheap meat on sale, pulled beef stretches well on pizza crust or buns

Canned salmon is close to $6 a can!

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
Reminds me if another idea...

Cut up a package of bologna ($2) and saute then scramble eggs on top ($3). Serve with some diced cucumber, pepper, and pickles ($3) and bread/pasta/rice ($1-2).

Curious where you find bologna for $2. Is that 2 oz? Because a 6 oz pack that feeds maybe 2 ppl is $5.19

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:06 pm
amother Milk wrote:
Curious where you find bologna for $2. Is that 2 oz? Because a 6 oz pack that feeds maybe 2 ppl is $5.19

Moishas a package is $2, I looked before posting. I think 4 or 6 ounces.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:07 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:

I get it for $2 a can from Walmart! Unless you mean the big cans in which case 1 is more than enough

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:07 pm
Great protein sales moishas this week btw... London broil, ground shoulder, etc 5.99 a pound.

amother
Zinnia

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:08 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:

Shop around I’ve seen in the $4.50 range, big can

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:19 pm
fish tacos-you can use 2 pieces of salmon and shred it so it stretches, use a wrap and make cabbage slaw.
rice with a meat sauce
vegetarian chili in a taco
Shakshuka and roasted potato wedges+salad

gdgirl

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:37 pm
sorry to burst your bubble OP but Im pretty sure mixed grind isnt healthier- they use the dark chicken or other fatty parts which are likely as fatty as ground beef and you dont know what the fat content of the beef part is. if you want healthy you can mix ground white chicken and lean beef but it wont be cheap...
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics