Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
When School's make Mommy and me's.....

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:04 am
Sent My kid 9:55 with bus , Its called for 10:30...... ( Not even a minute of time to swallow a breakfast if I want to be there 10 min early)
I know its very exciting for the kids and all. But seriously do I not spend enough time with my preschooler at home?
And babies aren't invited which I understand they cant have 20 moms show up with infants. ( And I would never bring my baby in a time which is dedicated to my preschooler.) My husband is taking off from work ( he's self employed but will loose money...) to babysit.
I would love to hear from teachers, moms out there what is really the goal of this mommy coming to my school?? ( yes, we have orientation, and I'm in touch with the teachers).

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:08 am
The schools do seem to assume that all parents are always available. It never seems to occur to them that a parent may not be able to come to an event.

It's a mystery for the ages. What if you have a morning job? What if you are sick?

Why can't these events be in the evening and both parents invited?

amother
Offwhite

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:27 am
The advantage of being a working parent is that my baby is in childcare already. I'm lucky in that I have an employer who is understanding and allows me to take off. I think it's nice for the mother to see the child in their school setting and you get a better feel of what is happening in your child's day.
But then my school doesn't do orientation, so that might make a difference. We have pta and that's the only other time we get to meet the teachers really.

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:32 am
my school recently wrote that they plan on doing more of these things where they invite the parents to "join their children's world" and I'm like no! I really don't see a need to go and see my daughter's friends read a poem they wrote... I go because it's important to MY child but still... we don't need more of them.

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:38 am
My honest feeling?

The children love when you come hang out in the environment they spend their days.
They want you to be a part of it!
Its such an honor for them for you to be their guest in their classroom, and show you around.

Yes, I took the day off.

No, I don't have 10 kids, which woukd mean I would have take off 10 days..

amother
Melon

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:39 am
What if you're a playgroup morah? Then you have the whole world mad at you plus you are losing $ on it.

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:41 am
I found it to be a beautiful bonding experience with my daughter. I only have one daughter so this is my first experience.
I work full time and took off for the hours that I needed to be there . The annoying part was that the kids needed to be carpooled for 9:00 and then the event started at 10:30 and school is a half hour drive each way. It would’ve made sense for them to schedule it so that the kids and mothers come together. But otherwise , I use from my PTO or put in extra time during the week to make up for the time that I miss.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:48 am
As I've gotten older, I've come to really enjoy and cherish the mommy and me (and I was the one complaining about it a few years ago) Yes I need to take unpaid time off but it is so so worth it! I make a huge deal of it a few weeks before and keep telling dc how excited I am to come to her school in a few weeks. It makes the child feel so special. And my dh tells dc how he is jealous that he can't come and only mommy...it just makes dc feel so good.
My DC's school gives a calendar at the beginning of the year with the schedule of events, so there is enough time to arrange babysitting if necessary.
And about eating breakfast, seriously you're an adult. Wake up a drop earlier or something.
My dc is having one soon for tu beshvat, and I am genuinely excited and looking forward.
I really look it as a special opportunity to spend individual quality time with that child.

I have seen bubbies and aunts at these events, so if a mom can't make it hopefully another family member is available. I guess if someone works at a job that has absolutely no time off, and has no family members around and available, then it would be an issue. But that is rare.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:49 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
My honest feeling?

The children love when you come hang out in the environment they spend their days.
They want you to be a part of it!
Its such an honor for them for you to be their guest in their classroom, and show you around.

Yes, I took the day off.

No, I don't have 10 kids, which woukd mean I would have take off 10 days..

I agree with this but it has to be done with seichel. Plan it in advance, give enough notice and make it early enough in the day that you can go to work after. My boys school did one once a year for Chanukah and the last one they had precovid was a Sunday because it was really hard for mothers to come on a weekday. You can do a nice mommy and me event without making mothers twist themselves into pretzels.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 11:22 am
amother Melon wrote:
What if you're a playgroup morah? Then you have the whole world mad at you plus you are losing $ on it.

When my kids were in playgroup, the morah would leave the kids with the assistant.
Obviously not ideal to only have one adult, but it's only once in a rare while and only for about 2 hours
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children