Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
My friend that is BIG in the wig industry told me the secret
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 8:53 am
amother Taupe wrote:
It's not about where it's made. I'm just warning people who might think they are getting something that's better quality than it is. It's great for $700 I agree with that. But it's not the same quality as sary or irene. Many people are happy with it but I don't see why anyone needs to hype it up for more than it is. Facts are it's a great buy for the money and it's ok, not quite comparable to the popular jewish lines.

I disagree. Maybe in your experience it didn't work out, but my experience worked out beautifully. I've had both, ordered direct from China and had cheaper lines from Irene. They're definitely comparable. I had ordered two wigs directly from China before Covid times and still use them daily to work. I've had many people ask me about them, and people are taken aback when I tell them where I got them from. They're beginning to wear out now, but that's normal expectations for wigs used on a daily basis.

I'm looking to buy direct again, so thanks to the poster who recommended a source. (My old source appears not to be active anymore.) I'll be reaching out to them. Pity I don't have your name so I can let them know you referred them to me. I will say that brunette is an easy color to work since a shade up or down won't make it or break it. I also think that the low price makes it a flexible situation. It's not that much of a risk, as I can always fix it up a bit here if needed, and still come out way ahead pricewise. Perhaps it's a greater risk if I'm looking for a dressy wig, but if I need a good basic wig for every day, these work out great.

I also want to put it out there that my previous source had a return policy. If I wasn't happy with it, I had ten days to return. Though I doubt this still exists today.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 8:57 am
This is why here in Israel it is becoming a thing to get a kashrus on the hair.

Also, most SM do sew the hair from scratch, but to many say that it is european hair when it is from china.

My friends husband travels to the former USSR and south america purchasing hair, and sells them to sheitalmachers, but to many of his colleges purchase cheaper chinese hairs and sell it as european hair. According to him the war in ukraine is contributing to the price hike (russia and ukraine are basically put as sources for hair) and the fact that the non- jewish world became much more in to wigs and extensions, creating more demand for the high quality hair.
Apparently it used to be 80% of the high quality hair would go to Jewish wigmakers and the lower quality was for extensions and the cheap wigs you see in black wigs/weaves. In recent years the demand for the high quality hair went up.

amother
Navyblue

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:15 am
amother Tan wrote:
If you can post a link it would be helpful!
I’m literally walking around with a decade old wig that’s oxidized and missing hair. My SM told me that if I want a new wig with virgin hair for my color (blonde) it’s a minimum of $6k and if I take one that is processed it’s $3k.
What has this world come to?? These prices make me want to not wear a wig or cover my hair!

Change SM!!! I can guarantee you can find cheaper!!!

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:35 am
amother Purple wrote:

Also, most SM do sew the hair from scratch, but to many say that it is european hair when it is from china.

My friends husband travels to the former USSR and south america purchasing hair, and sells them to sheitalmachers, but to many of his colleges purchase cheaper chinese hairs and sell it as european hair. According to him the war in ukraine is contributing to the price hike (russia and ukraine are basically put as sources for hair) and the fact that the non- jewish world became much more in to wigs and extensions, creating more demand for the high quality hair.
Apparently it used to be 80% of the high quality hair would go to Jewish wigmakers and the lower quality was for extensions and the cheap wigs you see in black wigs/weaves. In recent years the demand for the high quality hair went up.

So that people can't get affordable wigs on their own?

amother
Ebony

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:02 am
Before Covid I bought a wig from Ali express for $320. I can’t tell the difference between it and any other wig I’ve ever bought from a SM (mind you I’ve never had a top of the line sheitel, my most expensive one was $1800). The hair is great, looks just as good. I just went to the link though and I see now they’re selling for $800.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:17 am
amother Purple wrote:

Every single aspect of the wig industry is unregulated, from soup to nuts. Anyone can make any claim, including "kashrus" or a hechsher, and it's all anyone's guess what it means. And any sheitel macher can make any kind of claim, and is not accountable for lying. That's just part of the business. Even the hair-trade aspect is completely unregulated.

The only thing to do if it matters to you, is to find a sheitel macher who you feel comfortable with and who you feel is yashar and has Yiras Shamayim.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:18 am
amother Lightcyan wrote:
So that people can't get affordable wigs on their own?

I think this is part of the "wig hechsher" thing. Almost like some of the sheitel machers want to stop people from getting cheaper wigs on their own, so they came up with this scam. Like I said in my previous post, it's completely unregulated.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:25 am
European hair just means that they do the final treatments before sending it to markets in a European country. It’s the same Indian or Chinese hair.
South American is supposed to be high quality and could be obtained affordably.

About a year and a half ago I bought a wig from Aliexpress for $718. I think it was TingTzaowigs.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:27 am
amother OP wrote:
That apparently ALMOST all wigs (besides for dinis, bk’s and shevys according to her), are made by factories in China and retail originally for 500-800. Is that true? I have such a hard time believing that, especially because my sheital macher claims that my wig is made with European hair. Does anyone know if we can order directly from these factories and if they sell on aliexpress?

Interesting. I got a bk recently and it’s the most beautiful wig I’ve ever gotten. Only one that came close was an old renaissance wig. My shevy wasn’t amazing, and my Eva and Chloe’s, Irene’s, and sarys were beautiful in the beginning but garbage after 2-3 years

ETA- I did spend over 5k on my BK, I just assumed that you get what you pay for. It’s worth every penny

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 11:54 am
amother Babyblue wrote:
Interesting. I got a bk recently and it’s the most beautiful wig I’ve ever gotten. Only one that came close was an old renaissance wig. My shevy wasn’t amazing, and my Eva and Chloe’s, Irene’s, and sarys were beautiful in the beginning but garbage after 2-3 years

ETA- I did spend over 5k on my BK, I just assumed that you get what you pay for. It’s worth every penny

Well you're not yet 2-3 years into your bk so how do you know if it won't follow the same path as your shevy?

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 12:47 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
It's not about where it's made. I'm just warning people who might think they are getting something that's better quality than it is. It's great for $700 I agree with that. But it's not the same quality as sary or irene. Many people are happy with it but I don't see why anyone needs to hype it up for more than it is. Facts are it's a great buy for the money and it's ok, not quite comparable to the popular jewish lines.

I have 2 I’ve gotten from China, I think it’s comparable to my name brand wigs in look and quality.
(Important to style it well once you get it)

imaima

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 1:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
That apparently ALMOST all wigs (besides for dinis, bk’s and shevys according to her), are made by factories in China and retail originally for 500-800. Is that true? I have such a hard time believing that, especially because my sheital macher claims that my wig is made with European hair. Does anyone know if we can order directly from these factories and if they sell on aliexpress?

Have you ever questioned why when ypu read wig descriptions on Ali, there is a ton of reviews from buyers from Israel?
Or why is your sm saying that they are waiting for a new shipment? Shipment from where?

gamanit

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 2:32 pm
https://evermagicwigs.en.aliba......88.7

I got a wig from this company and I'm pretty happy with it. I have it a little over two years now and wear it every day. I wouldn't say it's the equivalent of a 6k wig, but it's nice. I get a lot of compliments on it. I did take it for a proper cut though locally.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 2:33 pm
Sarah Larry went on a wig rant on Instagram today! She’s so right!

wabcs

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 3:47 pm
Is milano good?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 4:03 pm
amother Ebony wrote:
Before Covid I bought a wig from Ali express for $320. I can’t tell the difference between it and any other wig I’ve ever bought from a SM (mind you I’ve never had a top of the line sheitel, my most expensive one was $1800). The hair is great, looks just as good. I just went to the link though and I see now they’re selling for $800.

Link please

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 4:03 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
I have 2 I’ve gotten from China, I think it’s comparable to my name brand wigs in look and quality.
(Important to style it well once you get it)

Link pls

amother
Mintcream

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 4:04 pm
I’m waiting patiently for someone to create wigs made by 3D printing. A machine churning out wigs is sure to disrupt the industry and get those prices down Wink

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 4:27 pm
amother Periwinkle wrote:
Sarah Larry went on a wig rant on Instagram today! She’s so right!

She is 100% right. Ladies buy direct from China. Yes it's a risk but all wigs are risks. And at least it's a smaller risk. And you can prob resell if you don't like. There is ebm wigs. Jewishwigsonly. And many others. There are Facebook groups...wigs you wish you own but can't afford. There are other options. Do a search on this site and people have posted about it.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 4:28 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:
I’m waiting patiently for someone to create wigs made by 3D printing. A machine churning out wigs is sure to disrupt the industry and get those prices down Wink

Nothing will get the prices down if everyone continues to buy at the local sheitel ladies.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels