Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
I can’t cook!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 6:13 pm
I feel horrible about myself that I cannot cook without a recipe. When I follow a recipe my food comes out good but I really want to learn how to cook on my own! It seems like everyone I know cal just throw in a little of this and a little of that and come up with delicious food. I don’t know how to do that! Is there anyway I can learn?

amother
Petunia

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 7:23 pm
practice. watch cooking shows to learn principles

amother
Banana

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 7:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
I feel horrible about myself that I cannot cook without a recipe. When I follow a recipe my food comes out good but I really want to learn how to cook on my own! It seems like everyone I know cal just throw in a little of this and a little of that and come up with delicious food. I don’t know how to do that! Is there anyway I can learn?

Yup! For me Cooking is the bane of my existence. If I wldnt be a mom and value healthy food I’d probably never cook a day in my life. I’ve come a ways since the days of my post marital youth, but I still mostly need exact recipes. Regarding salt and spicing the only way to know is to taste and taste.
(I can still overcook my noodles and undercook my potatoes.)
Hugs!

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 7:32 pm
Just think what things go well together in a recipe
Chicken and potatoes
Chicken and rice
Chicken and peppers
Meat and peppers

So now you have a few different starting points and take it from there. You can throw chicken in peppers on a sheet pan or cook in skillet. Then you decide what seasoning. Do you want Mexican like fajitas. Or saucy like general Taos or a lighter version of just salt pepper garlic and maybe sesame oil.

Meat and potatoes
Meat can be ground beef + mashed potatoes or crispy potatoes
On ground beef it could be marinara sauce or a sloppy joes or with peppers and seasonings (basic salt pepper garlic) add on top or next to whatever potatoes or rice

Start with basic combinations and you can make stuff up

I find chicken to be a very versatile food when it comes to flavors. It can basically take anything and it’ll taste good.

Salmon is also a pretty versatile food. Saucy or spices. Even basic salt pepper garlic and lemon juice is delicious and can pare with many diffferent sides.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 7:32 pm
OP, how long are you cooking?

Cooking without recipes takes years of experience.

If you are the type that likes to read cookbooks, and recipes from magazines,

you get a "feel" for recipes.

Like, I know how many cups of sugar per cups of flour in a cake recipe makes sense.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 7:33 pm
Most people I know follow a general recipe. Don't think every woman out there is coming up with awesome creative dishes on her own.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 7:39 pm
For BASIC cooking, I recommend the Spice and Spirit Cookbook -

tons of simple (and not so simple) recipes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen