Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cruise ships, etc during a recession. How do ppl afford it?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Did you go on vacation this year/yeshiva week?
Yes but family paid for it  
 4%  [ 10 ]
Yes but paid for it through cc points  
 6%  [ 15 ]
Yes, but saved up for it and have everything else, including tuition fully paid up  
 10%  [ 26 ]
Yes, I am rich and can afford to do as I please  
 7%  [ 19 ]
Yes, but went into debt for it  
 0%  [ 1 ]
No, I can afford it but will save the money for real needs  
 13%  [ 33 ]
No, I can afford it but I am working and couldnt take time off  
 10%  [ 25 ]
No, would love to go but cant afford it  
 37%  [ 93 ]
Other, will explain in comments  
 9%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 245

amother
White

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 8:35 am
watergirl wrote:
And from what I saw, the kosher food option is extra and the food is not good.

I heard just the opposite. That there's tons and tons of delicious food.

amother
Mayflower

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 8:37 am
Firstly to say I feel the pain of those who find it painful (to see others living what to them is lavish)

3 things I try to keep in mind:

1. those same ppl on cruises etc are likely giving a ton of tsedaka to pay for my kids tuition break and sometimes Shabbos food (while we live hand to mouth and can't afford groceries the last wk of each mth)

2. The challenge of not being jealous and counting my own blessings is a wonderful thing to learn and BH I've had a lot of practice over the last 10 years of living hand to mouth most months!
I came off facebook BC or the challenge and recently joined insta but BH am clearly doing a better job at keeping the green eyed monster away. So if for now it's hard for you, maybe stay away from social media.

3. Hashem gives us all EXACTLY what we need at any given time. Believe it and you will feel safer in His Hands!

Hashem should bentch us all with revealed brachos, health and parnasa.

BaltoMom65

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 8:50 am
amother Daffodil wrote:
Agree with the commenter that said she seems to be the only one effected by inflation- I feel like that too. Everyone around me seems to be spending more than ever, and we’re barely making it through the month. This year has been our hardest year since we got married 15 years ago as far as finances. We have no money in the bank.
As far as winter break, we’ve actually never gone away before but this year we had a Simcha in LA over vacation (very close family, couldnt miss it) and found cheap tickets on spirit so we made a trip of it because the timing was in our favor. We were offered a place to stay by a neighbor of the Baal Simcha who was gracious to host us for 6 days instead of just being the weekend, and we had a blast.
I feel so blessed that we were able to do it, and it was we so rejuvenating and good for my kids that for the first time ever, I felt sad that this is something we don’t experience each year. We made such great memories and did such fun things that were once in a lifetime. For my kids, the buildup leading up to the trip was almost as fun as the trip itself , the lists , the packing , discussing it etc .
I personally don’t mind when people post their vacations although I myself happen to think that over-posting and shoving everything in peoples faces in general is pathetic. The glutinousness of posting food , restaurants , workouts , activities , love letters to spouses on their bdays and anniversaries when the spouses don’t even have instagram …. I tell my kids that the people who do that , the ones who so badly crave the validation from strangers on social media, are probably lacking emotionally in some way.
But OP, try and stay away from social during Yeshiva week if it’s hard for you.
Completely agree!! And may we all have more opportunities for family vacations in the future!!

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 8:53 am
amother White wrote:

Depending on the IG person who did the posting... who knows the truth. I don't believe anything I see on there.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 8:55 am
amother White wrote:

Never heard that ever. Every review said it tastes like airplane food. All said do not go on a cruise for the food.

amother
White

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 8:57 am
amother DarkOrange wrote:
Never heard that ever. Every review said it tastes like airplane food. All said do not go on a cruise for the food.

They have kosher food year round, airplane type meals.
For yeshiva week, they bring in a chef and have a kosher dining room with full buffets of tons of kosher food. There's also a kosher pizza shop.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:01 am
amother White wrote:
For yeshiva week, they bring in a chef and have a kosher dining room with full buffets of tons of kosher food. There's also a kosher pizza shop.

I still heard reviews on that, it’s not fully cooked on board more like tons of pre cooked frozen food that was warmed up.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:02 am
amother White wrote:

Depending on the IGer, one is saying it's a lot of hot dogs and chicken nuggets, and it's not a kosher pizza shop, it's a non-kosher one with one kosher oven.

Again, all with a grain of salt.

I am thrilled for everyone who is on a cruise and hope they are having a great time. Even if the food is matza with butter the whole time, or if it's five course meals or whatever in between, enjoy!

amother
Snow

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:02 am
amother Royalblue wrote:
Same. In the Chasidish world generally mid-winter is not a thing. Some girls schools give a couple days off, kids are lucky if they get to go to the mall or ice skating. Boys don't get any days off.

Of course girls have mid winter vacation. It's right after midterms. It's not called Yeshiva week and it's 3 days, not a full week.,but it's still mid winter vacation.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:03 am
We have these threads in various forms multiple times a week. Many people make a lot of money! Or have tons of credit card debt. Or scrimp on everything except for one thing that’s important to them. Or have wealthy parents. That’s the answer. It won’t change.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:07 am
BH my parents are on this cruise. They’ve been before (to the fresh kosher cruise) and enjoyed it. I’m getting lots of photos and videos of thousands of Jews on it along with the plentiful and varied food. But the food is only part of the draw: cruisers love the shows, the ports, the activities etc. while it’s certainly possible the food isn’t to someone’s liking, the photos I’m getting seem to show huge quantities and selections. BH my parents are enjoying it which makes me very happy

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:07 am
Hashem could have put you on that cruise. He could have placed you in second century Bavel with starvation rations and outhouses. He could have placed you in 18th century Ukraine with progroms and oppressive conditions. He created animals that can eat a delicious smorgasbord of grass and weeds, or a feeding trough wherever they turn. He could do the same for you. He chose to take your neshama and place you in 21st Century America exactly where you need to be to accomplish what you need to accomplish in life. One thing is guaranteed. If you were mindlessly gorging on non stop food and entertainment on that cruise it would not bring you closer to accomplishing the goal for which you were placed in this earth or you WOULD be on that cruise. You have all the tools YOU need to succeed. Make the most of it!

amother
White

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:15 am
Isn't there more than 1 royal Caribbean cruise going on now?
I also think that people that take a cruise, go more for the experience than for the food.

amother
Chicory

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:11 am
I guess I don't follow the right people. I haven't seen anything about the kosher cruise, but may be interested for next year. Could someone please post links or IG names for those covering the cruise? Don't worry, I won't be jealous since I already have plans for this year, and if it looks appealing, I will definitely look into it for next year.

amother
Ebony

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:54 am
OP I wrote a whole thread on this a while ago and got multiple answers from all directions.

I came to one of two conclusions

Most of the world (that hashem made me know) has money and we don't

There are really only a few that can really afford these things and go.. A few who know they can't afford these things and don't go ... And the rest are people who either could almost afford or who really can't afford but gotta go because everyone else is going or because they can't stand it anymore feeling poor and the credit card is open to use anytime and somehow the money will come...

I prefer it be the first but realistically the way the world works is that most people are not wealthy... So I coose option 2

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 11:18 am
amother Snow wrote:
Of course girls have mid winter vacation. It's right after midterms. It's not called Yeshiva week and it's 3 days, not a full week.,but it's still mid winter vacation.

I wrote that girls get a couple days & boys don't. Have you seen a lot of families going on vacation? I don't know a single family that went this year or prior years, & I know plenty of people.

Some girls schools don't give any, like the one I send to or the one I attended ( not the same school)

amother
Birch

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 11:22 am
I really don't think its only those 2 conclusions.

I think Mommy3b has it right. There are just all kinds of reasons and ways that people go away. Sometimes ppl are gifted, sometimes ppl can totally afford it, sometimes ppl save us for it, sometimes ppl are savvy with points and such, and sometimes ppl overspend and are not fiscally responsible.

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 12:16 pm
Even during the Great Depression there were people who remained rich or even became rich. And even in the frum community there are rich people, some obscenely rich. Maybe more than we even realize, if the frum magazine ads for opulent merchandise and luxury services are any indication.

But sadly, there are also people of moderate or even quite limited means who suffer from fiscal ignorance, fiscal irresponsibility, lack of forethought, excessive sensitivity to peer pressure and lack of self-esteem or other deficiencies, who really cannot afford lavish vacations, palatial homes and the like, and "pay" for them with credit cards and loans on which they ultimately default.* And the true disgrace is those who plan on this lechatchila ("Meh, so I'll declare bankruptcy and settle with the bank for cents on the dollar") and see nothing wrong with doing so.

* I am not talking about fiscally responsible people who overrun their credit due to catastrophic medical expenses or other unforeseen disasters.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 12:22 pm
No
It’s too much of a stress for me to travel with my kids rn.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 12:26 pm
There is also another option. I get that you are likely referring to the big trips (you mentioned cruises), but there are ways to “vacation” more cheaply. A local hotel with a pool or indoor water park etc. yes it still costs money but I’m just saying it is a balance for people who want to go somewhere without spending kids of money.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics