Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cruise ships, etc during a recession. How do ppl afford it?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Did you go on vacation this year/yeshiva week?
Yes but family paid for it  
 4%  [ 10 ]
Yes but paid for it through cc points  
 6%  [ 15 ]
Yes, but saved up for it and have everything else, including tuition fully paid up  
 10%  [ 26 ]
Yes, I am rich and can afford to do as I please  
 7%  [ 19 ]
Yes, but went into debt for it  
 0%  [ 1 ]
No, I can afford it but will save the money for real needs  
 13%  [ 33 ]
No, I can afford it but I am working and couldnt take time off  
 10%  [ 25 ]
No, would love to go but cant afford it  
 37%  [ 93 ]
Other, will explain in comments  
 9%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 245

amother
Ebony

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:27 am
zaq wrote:
Even during the Great Depression there were people who remained rich or even became rich. And even in the frum community there are rich people, some obscenely rich. Maybe more than we even realize, if the frum magazine ads for opulent merchandise and luxury services are any indication.

But sadly, there are also people of moderate or even quite limited means who suffer from fiscal ignorance, fiscal irresponsibility, lack of forethought, excessive sensitivity to peer pressure and lack of self-esteem or other deficiencies, who really cannot afford lavish vacations, palatial homes and the like, and "pay" for them with credit cards and loans on which they ultimately default.* And the true disgrace is those who plan on this lechatchila ("Meh, so I'll declare bankruptcy and settle with the bank for cents on the dollar") and see nothing wrong with doing so.

* I am not talking about fiscally responsible people who overrun their credit due to catastrophic medical expenses or other unforeseen disasters.

This.

amother
White

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:28 am
amother Royalblue wrote:
I wrote that girls get a couple days & boys don't. Have you seen a lot of families going on vacation? I don't know a single family that went this year or prior years, & I know plenty of people.

Some girls schools don't give any, like the one I send to or the one I attended ( not the same school)

Many mothers go away with their girls. It's very common.

amother
Ebony

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:31 am
amother White wrote:
I actually love seeing videos of people's interesting vacations. What makes me sad though is women that call themselves frum, posting pictures of themselves laying at the beach in a bathing suit and uncovered hair.
I hope that not true !!! Can't Believe It Can't Believe It (I BH don't have social media so I would never know)

amother
Ebony

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:34 am
amother Yarrow wrote:
Using cc points for flights and hotel.

Saved up bonuses for car rental and food. Will mostly do free/cheap attractions.

Haven’t flown anywhere in 6 years…
Would you mind sharing which C/c you used.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:12 am
We just bought a house in a very affluent community so I knew what I was getting into. Dh said last night that he couldn’t care less if most of the community is away, he will sleep better at night knowing that our $ is in the bank saved for a rainy day and we don’t have debt and I do agree with him as we don’t have $ to just throw around. We are planning to go to my parents vacation house in another city for 2 nights so that’s free just to get away or else my kids will kill eachother from boredom…..
And btw a vacation with kids is exhausting I usually need another to recover.

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:14 am
This time it's my chance to dance my chasidish heart out 😉

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:16 am
I chose "would love to go but can't" because it's true that we can't, having a hard time paying for the basics. But it's not really true that I'd love to go, it's not my thing. Happy others are going and enjoying!

amother
Oleander

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:42 am
We flew to Israel for a close family simcha. We had help paying the tickets and we're staying with family. We rented a car and the touristy things we're doing are walking around and exploring different places and going to national parks or other free or cheap places to hike.

amother
Sage

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:53 am
Where's the option for cant afford it but wouldn't be interested even if I could?

(Didn't read the thread, sorry if it's been posted already )

amother
Acacia

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 4:25 pm
a2z wrote:
Me live in Israel we no have yeshiva week.
What בכלל is thees ting?
מה זה השטויות האלה רבש"ע!!!!!!!!
שה' ישמור! יש חופש! בסדר, אבל למה צריך להוציא כל כך הרבה כסף על שטויות! זה מבחיל לגמרי כל מה שאני שומעת על yeshiva week
תשארו בבית או תחליפו דירה למה להוציא ככה כמפותות של כסף?!
כאן בארץ יש ילדים שרעבים ללחם!!
במקום להוציא כסף על שטויות תתרמו להם ותלכו לאטרקציות קרוב לבית!
שה' ישמור אתכם
אוהבת אתכם אחיות יקרות שלי
באהבה
אני Heart

my niece in Israel has to contend with חופש גדול where her daughters' whine that classmates' families vacation in
Italy, Greece, Yugoslavia, Romania, Austria....

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 4:34 pm
There’s a lot of pple with a lot of money.. why is that so hard to believe. Bh a lot of young pple do very well nowadays. Not me personally lol, and we are doing day trips, but I am surrounded by pple with money for a lot of luxury that I can’t afford. Good for them! And iyh by me. Live and let live. Hashem gives everyone exactly what they are supposed to have.

Trademark

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 4:42 pm
amother Cyclamen wrote:
To add to this, I wonder if anyone else is concerned about things getting financially worse and that maybe now's not the best time to spend thousands.
I don't know. It seems like I'm the only one in my circles who isn't buying new cars, going to Israel, redoing their kitchen.

Just saying that not spending only makes a recession worse. Spending is good for the economy.

Obviously individuals have to make choices that works for them.

amother
Hyssop

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 4:57 pm
Slightly OT because I assume that what OP is really griping about isn't cruises per se but luxe vacations in general. I can think of some things that sound more excruciatingly boring than being stuck on a ship in the middle of the ocean with a bunch of people I don't know and don't want to, but not many. Even if said ship is twice the size of my entire neighborhood and has six times the number of restaurants, movie theaters, swimming pools and other entertainment venues. I visualize them as giant tin cans full of retirees stuffing their faces six times a day and honeymooners canoodling on deck. No, thanks, even if I could afford it.

amother
Winterberry

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 5:38 pm
amother Hyssop wrote:
Slightly OT because I assume that what OP is really griping about isn't cruises per se but luxe vacations in general. I can think of some things that sound more excruciatingly boring than being stuck on a ship in the middle of the ocean with a bunch of people I don't know and don't want to, but not many. Even if said ship is twice the size of my entire neighborhood and has six times the number of restaurants, movie theaters, swimming pools and other entertainment venues. I visualize them as giant tin cans full of retirees stuffing their faces six times a day and honeymooners canoodling on deck. No, thanks, even if I could afford it.

Lol cruising is awesome

amother
Rainbow

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 5:46 pm
amother Hyssop wrote:

Find me someone who went on a legit cruise who will say this… you say this because you don’t know what it’s like

Batsheva1

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 6:34 pm
I was on that cruise ship. For the record cruising is awesome! I would have thought what the above poster said cruising was before I actually tried it. It's actually a wonderful way to travel which is why it is such a popular type of vacation. Once you try it you get hooked.
For those curious, I will explain the food situation. There were 2 options for kosher people. This cruise did offer fresh kosher food in a separate kosher dining room with a mashgiach. The food was good and there was a large variety. This came at an extra cost and a maximum of 600 people which was reached and that option was sold out. The second option was prepackaged airplane meals or double-wrapped fish and vegetables in the regular dining room. About half the kosher people on the cruise took that option either because they were too late to sign up for fresh kosher and it was sold out or they (understandably) didn't want to pay an extra $60 a day for the fresh kosher.)
My last point: everything in its time. For many years my husband and I were in a VERY tight financial situation. We were up to our necks in expenses paying multiple tuitions and raising our family. We couldn't afford to go on vacation either. It seemed everyone was gong away except us. The best we could do was take a road trip to Philidelphia or Washington DC and some years we couldn't do even that. We did local things and my kids are all the better for it. They have their issues but they are not entitled and they understand the value of money. In those days I never could have imagined that the tight years would end. Things did change though. My kids are now grown and being frugal has paid off. We are now able to go places and don't feel as stressed financially. Last year we were zoche to take the whole family on a cruise. This year I just went with my husband.
My point, things can change and get easier. There are different stages in life and things can go up and down. Just because you can't do something now doesn't mean you can't do it in the future. Everything in the right time.

amother
Brass

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 6:48 pm
Batsheva1 wrote:
I was on that cruise ship. For the record cruising is awesome! I would have thought what the above poster said cruising was before I actually tried it. It's actually a wonderful way to travel which is why it is such a popular type of vacation. Once you try it you get hooked.
For those curious, I will explain the food situation. There were 2 options for kosher people. This cruise did offer fresh kosher food in a separate kosher dining room with a mashgiach. The food was good and there was a large variety. This came at an extra cost and a maximum of 600 people which was reached and that option was sold out. The second option was prepackaged airplane meals or double-wrapped fish and vegetables in the regular dining room. About half the kosher people on the cruise took that option either because they were too late to sign up for fresh kosher and it was sold out or they (understandably) didn't want to pay an extra $60 a day for the fresh kosher.)
My last point: everything in its time. For many years my husband and I were in a VERY tight financial situation. We were up to our necks in expenses paying multiple tuitions and raising our family. We couldn't afford to go on vacation either. It seemed everyone was gong away except us. The best we could do was take a road trip to Philidelphia or Washington DC and some years we couldn't do even that. We did local things and my kids are all the better for it. They have their issues but they are not entitled and they understand the value of money. In those days I never could have imagined that the tight years would end. Things did change though. My kids are now grown and being frugal has paid off. We are now able to go places and don't feel as stressed financially. Last year we were zoche to take the whole family on a cruise. This year I just went with my husband.
My point, things can change and get easier. There are different stages in life and things can go up and down. Just because you can't do something now doesn't mean you can't do it in the future. Everything in the right time.

Thanks for all this info!
Can I ask what the cost of this cruise was?

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 6:50 pm
Of course the elephant in the room is that the food may be kosher but if the cruise ship is going to a sunny destination it is virtually impossible to avoid serious tznius issues on board. There have been numerous issues with kosher as well specifically on cruise ships because of the unique cooking facilities and ship layouts. Many kashrus agencies refuse to certify cruise ships due to this so you are often left with a bottom tier hechsher. The star K has an article outlining some of the many issues.

https://www.star-k.org/article.....es-2/

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 6:54 pm
amother Broom wrote:
This time it's my chance to dance my chasidish heart out 😉

Why? I saw a lot of chassidim when I was in Florida for midwinter.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 6:57 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
Of course the elephant in the room is that the food may be kosher but if the cruise ship is going to a sunny destination it is virtually impossible to avoid serious tznius issues on board. There have been numerous issues with kosher as well specifically on cruise ships because of the unique cooking facilities and ship layouts. Many kashrus agencies refuse to certify cruise ships due to this so you are often left with a bottom tier hechsher. The star K has an article outlining some of the many issues.

https://www.star-k.org/article.....es-2/

This is IMo uncalled for. If the hechsher isn’t acceptable to you, stay home. If tznius issues offend you, stay home. Rest assured there were thousands (yes thousands) for whom both were just fine.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics