Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
10 year old son refuses to take antibiotics
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:51 pm
For strep
In general he is very sensitive to flavors. He hates sweet, artificial things even candy and drinks. Every day is a battle to get him to swallow the 2 teaspoons. He took it for a few days- some days only once instead of twice. Now he completely refuses. He claims it’s so awful he feels like he’ll throw up from it. I let him take it himself.. nothing doing.. offered a reward.. nope.. he just has to take it because it’s the right thing to do. I told him he can get sick again and it could be even worse.. I told him if he doesn’t take his medicine I’ll have to bring him back to the doctor and the doctor will give it…. I’m taking away privileges.. he’s just locking himself in his room. He keeps running away to another room and locks the door when he sees me.He’s usually pretty well behaved- this is something I don’t think I can handle. I just don’t know what to do…

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:54 pm
Get it in a pill he can swallow.

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:54 pm
Could he swallow a tablet? At that age lots of kids can.

It’s so frustrating to deal with. But at the same time I remember hating it so much as a kid.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:57 pm
Have him pinch his nose all the while he’s swallowing the medic.
After swallowing, he should quickly take a drink while still holding his nose. Then he can inhale

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:57 pm
Of course I would give him a pill if he could swallow!! He can’t swallow pills yet obviously. If I would be able to just give him a pill I wouldn’t be dealing with this!

amother
Charcoal

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 8:59 pm
Tell him he’ll need intravenous antibiotics and describe it to him

amother
Daphne

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:00 pm
Bribe him. Have him sip a drink he loves while taking the medicine. Give him a treat after to take the taste away. Alternatively ask if you can switch to a different one the stronger ones are bitter and not sweet.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:02 pm
Are there pills u can crush?

amother
Midnight

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:03 pm
I had the dr give my son an antibiotic shot

amother
Alyssum

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
Of course I would give him a pill if he could swallow!! He can’t swallow pills yet obviously. If I would be able to just give him a pill I wouldn’t be dealing with this!
He needs to learn to swallow pills. It’s an absolute must. Dd did exactly the same thing so when she was 8 I put my foot down and insisted that she learn to swallow pills. If he’s 10 then he is absolutely ready to learn. There are lots of different methods to try, look them up. She was very resistant and kept running away but with lots of bribery, persistence and trying every method out there she did learn.

When she was too young to swallow pills I secretly mixed the powder from the capsule into pudding. But he’s too old for that.

amother
Alyssum

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:05 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
I had the dr give my son an antibiotic shot
My pediatrician refused to give the shot. Said they don’t do it. But I agree op may as well try asking.

WhatFor

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:17 pm
As a kid there was an antibiotic I had to take that tasted awful to me and I also felt like I would throw up every time. I'm pretty sure I actually did at least once. I think it helped me to mix it in kedem (dark) grape juice, because that juice was so strong it wasn't as bad. I may have had to hold my nose even then, I can't remember, but I think the grape juice helped.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:20 pm
WhatFor wrote:
As a kid there was an antibiotic I had to take that tasted awful to me and I also felt like I would throw up every time. I'm pretty sure I actually did at least once. I think it helped me to mix it in kedem (dark) grape juice, because that juice was so strong it wasn't as bad. I may have had to hold my nose even then, I can't remember, but I think the grape juice helped.

I wrote before that he is repulsed by sweets. He hates grape juice, apple juice, soda, iced tea… grape juice would just make it worse for him. He literally gags from the tiny dot of grape juice he puts by his lips on shabbos

singleagain

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:20 pm
Can your pharmacy put a flavor in the meds? I've seen advertisements for that

amother
Geranium

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:33 pm
Sorry I see someone else said what I was thinking, and it wasn't helpful to you. So delete.

amother
IndianRed

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:34 pm
My friend does suppositories for a 2 year old. Does that work for bigger kids? A pharmacy in staten island delivers to her.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:37 pm
Why can't he learn to take a pill?

One of my earliest memories is being left behind when all of the family was going somewhere fun. Had some kind of infection where I needed to take antibiotics but was not ill to the point of being febrile and weak - maybe an ear infection or sore throat?

I refused to take the liquid antibiotics and so I was left behind.

I learned to take pills the next day because I could see the immediate benefit - no horrible tasting liquid plus back to normal in terms of my privileges. LOL

I was about five when this occurred.

I am so accomplished at taking pills I can take them without water if necessary. Very Happy

WhatFor

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
I wrote before that he is repulsed by sweets. He hates grape juice, apple juice, soda, iced tea… grape juice would just make it worse for him. He literally gags from the tiny dot of grape juice he puts by his lips on shabbos

Oh sorry - I just saw the artificial sweets part - I am like that too and hated sugar drinks but was always okay with actual juice (natural sugar from the fruit, not with added sugar). Sorry that's not helpful to him.

amother
Obsidian

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:39 pm
amother OP wrote:

My son learnt how to swallow for this reason. He hated the liquid. He had to brave it and learn to swallow. Only capsules though.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:39 pm
Can he swallow a pill if he eats it in applesauce or pudding? For folks (often elderly) who have a hard time swallowing, this is often what they do to facilitate taking meds.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children