Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Pesach kitchen - Formica or quartz counters?

bargainlover

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 8:03 pm
It’s a savings of about $600 to go with Formica
I can technically spend for the quartz - is it really worth it for a kitchen used 2-3 weeks of the year?

mizle10

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 8:05 pm
I don’t think quartz is worth the extra money, but a stone that can be kashered is. Just in case you ever come into chometz issues.

sg27

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 8:48 pm
I’m in the same exact conundrum. I’m leaning towards Formica but not loving the choices. Where are you getting the Formica from?

tweety1

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 8:51 pm
I did formica for pesach kitchen. For me it wasn't worth to spend the money on a kitchen I'm only using 2-3 weeks a yr.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 8:52 pm
Formica cannot be kashered according to some opinions(or requires a lrepeated process 3x by those who let--according to OK), and Quartz can according to most opinions.

If I had the budget for quartz in this example, I'd do quartz.

I think it would be easier to live with and if you're in an area where a pesach kitchen is a selling point for homes (ie. enough Jewish families), I think quartz would be more desirable long term for resale.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:11 pm
I am assuming that the counters aren't that large.

FWIW you can often get granite for the same price or even less than formica. This is especially true if you don't need much and can use a remnant. Many of the more common granites are not that expensive and still look quite nice.

Quartz is just resin and not actually stone anyway.

bigbird

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 9:35 pm
I have the same dilemma at the moment. What I don’t understand is isn’t there an inbetween price range? Why is there such a big jump between options?

bargainlover

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:05 pm
sg27 wrote:
I’m in the same exact conundrum. I’m leaning towards Formica but not loving the choices. Where are you getting the Formica from?

The kitchen place has countertops

bargainlover

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:05 pm
Amarante wrote:
I am assuming that the counters aren't that large.

FWIW you can often get granite for the same price or even less than formica. This is especially true if you don't need much and can use a remnant. Many of the more common granites are not that expensive and still look quite nice.

Quartz is just resin and not actually stone anyway.

I priced it out and the cheapest quote was still more than Formica

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 10:20 pm
bargainlover wrote:
I priced it out and the cheapest quote was still more than Formica

I don't know if this is helpful but get what you can afford. To some people spending an extra $500 for a remodeling project isn't that significant. For others it is a huge percentage of their remodeling budget.

I do find it strange that you can't find granite inexpensively though. Quartz is generally more expensive than granite at this point and it isn't as durable. Granite actually makes sense for a Pesach kitchen because some hold that quartz can't be properly kashered.

On the other hand, a counter is a relatively easy thing to change down the road if someone buys your house just like a faucet is. Not that I am advising people to waste money unnecessarily but there are certain things that are relatively easy to change like faucets or a counter and certain things which are very difficult like cabinets.

sg27

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 2:58 pm
What did u end up deciding?

zigi

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 4:41 pm
Is stainless steel an option?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics