Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
"Hello", "Hi", & "Hey"

RedRuby

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 12:53 pm
This is a spinoff of the "Guys" thread...

and Mishie, I dedicate this to you, because you mentioned that in your school "Hi" & "Bye" weren't allowed.

"Hi", "Hey", and "Bye" are definitely more casual. Is that why they are discouraged in some circles?

I tell my kids that they should use "Hello" and not "Hi" when addressing grown up, out of respect.

But when speaking to peers, does it make a difference to you?

sunshine!

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 12:58 pm
I can ask the same question about Ma versus Mommy and Ta versus Totty. The first time I heard my son refer to me as "Ma" I was a little taken aback, until I realized that I refer to my own parents that way! It is definitely more casual and I am not so sure how appropriate.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 1:02 pm
It was funny when I read Mishies post. Smile When my 2 year old started talking, and he would "speak" on the phone to his Israeli grandmother, and he would say words like hi and bye, my dh got all nervous what his mother would think of her "moderne american einikel"! He had some explaining to do afterwards, to make it clear that this is the norm, that its not slang.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 1:06 pm
hey hi ho there or just plain hiya Wink

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 1:11 pm
That's funny because when I came here and pple said, hola, I thought, that's it, only hola, we have hello, hi, hiya, howdy, yo', etc... So much more of a variety.

cookielady

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 1:41 pm
You could just say "greetings earthlings!"

greenfire

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 1:42 pm
cookielady wrote:
You could just say "greetings earthlings!"

I would take issue with that ... Mr. Green

cookielady

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 1:50 pm
You and all the other aliens here!

(notice I didn't say illegal aliens, just aliens!)

Chocoholic

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 3:51 pm
Otherwise, try Howdy!

Motek

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 11:34 am
RedRuby wrote:
and Mishie, I dedicate this to you, because you mentioned that in your school "Hi" & "Bye" weren't allowed.

You left out an important detail. She said, "In our High-school (Israeli, BY)"

Maybe the reasoning is, why replace the word "shalom", the traditional Jewish greeting and way of saying goodbye.

As for English speaking people, how about just plain, "Yo!" when wanting to address someone. It's useful when you don't remember their name.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 11:35 am
"Hey there, what's up?"

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 11:43 am
Motek wrote:
As for English speaking people, how about just plain, "Yo!" when wanting to address someone. It's useful when you don't remember their name.
This can be dangerous, as it might lead to a whole series of "yo mama" jokes. As in, "yo mama house is so dirty, she has to wipe her feet when she goes out." "Yo mama is so greasy, she uses bacon for bandaids." Potentially quite disrespectful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics