Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
S/O shaitel prices, supply & demand
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 11:37 am
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
How are you being taken advantage of if you can choose to use the service or use a cheaper one?

It was explained over and over and over by a lot of different imas on the other thread..

You’re obviously ignoring it again and you decided to start another thread to push your agenda again but it doesn’t change anything.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 11:38 am
amother Amethyst wrote:
You may charge the going amount, which is what they're doing.

Who sets the ‘going amount?’ The greedy sm who decides to charge double what most of the other one charge and then the cheaper ones also raise to keep up with the greedy

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 11:42 am
amother OP wrote:
Interesting, that's assuming there's a scarcity, afaik there's no shortage of sm willing to work for less, they just might not be as experienced or famous. Same for therapists - there are many that work in clinics or charge less but aren't "brand name" therapists

I love how the ones defending the ripoffs saying the higher prices are right because those sms are more experienced or famous

That’s not true

There’s plenty sms working for years and with a lot of experience who don’t charge the ripoff prices.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 11:43 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
You can wear a tichel or a hat. You choose to wear a sheitel. That's fine, but when you make an expensive choice, you have to pay for it.

Really? So you’re saying the sm has a right to charge $13o for wash and set because we made an expensive choice and we have to pay for it?

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 11:44 am
amother OP wrote:
I don't understand why everyone complains about shaitel macher prices and therapist prices. The way economics work is that price is dictated by supply and demand. If I decide to charge $1000 for an hour of my time, probably no one would hire me unless I have a specific skill set that they need. And if I charge $15 for a wash and set (and do a decent job) I'll probably be way overbooked unless I raise my prices, that's how a capitalist economy works!
Why is this so hard to understand??

Ok. My husband has a specific skill set that you need. He fixes appliances. Next time your washing machine breaks, im gonna have him charge you $1,500 for the repair. Gd knows we could use the money...
And if you dont want to pay for his skill set then just wash the clothes by hand in your slop sink

Trademark

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 12:08 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:

There’s plenty sms working for years and with a lot of experience who don’t charge the ripoff prices.

If the above is true then why are you so upset that "celebrity" sheital machers overcharge?

If there is enough sms on the market that you can easily find one for a reasonable price, I don't see the problem for famous ones charging a lot if people are willing to pay. Some people want to throw money in the garbage for high standards and mishegassen, let those sms be the garbage cans.

Like I said on the other thread I get my sheital done for $40 and I had an easy time finding an sm for that price. I really don't care if others are willing to pay $130 for a famous one.

Now if she is the only sm in your town, that's a different story...

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 1:04 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
Ok. My husband has a specific skill set that you need. He fixes appliances. Next time your washing machine breaks, im gonna have him charge you $1,500 for the repair. Gd knows we could use the money...
And if you dont want to pay for his skill set then just wash the clothes by hand in your slop sink

You are assuming that your husband is the only person who can fix an appliance which simply isn't the scenario.

So the person would call and find another appliance repair person to do it for the "going rate". Same thing is true of General Contractors or gardeners or pool maintenance.

And of course people decide NOT to have an appliance repaired as well when the actual cost of repairing is expensive and so it makes more sense to purchase a new one.

Your husband is like the SM - he can only charge what enough people are willing to pay him or else he would have no customers.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 1:21 pm
amother Slateblue wrote:
You are assuming that your husband is the only person who can fix an appliance which simply isn't the scenario.

So the person would call and find another appliance repair person to do it for the "going rate". Same thing is true of General Contractors or gardeners or pool maintenance.

And of course people decide NOT to have an appliance repaired as well when the actual cost of repairing is expensive and so it makes more sense to purchase a new one.

Your husband is like the SM - he can only charge what enough people are willing to pay him or else he would have no customers.

Ah, but you see all the repairmen in the area are in tune to each others prices. If one starts charging more, others will feel comfortable charging more as well. Yes there will always be the one who is known to be more pricey and the one who is known to be cheaper, but its all within a certain percent. Collectively, they all go up together. Just like shaitel machers.
Only difference is, appliance repairmen are decent folk who tend to raise things appropriately, within reason. But there really is nothing stopping them (other than being a basic mentch) from jacking up prices to a ridiculous degree, together, and people feeling the pressure will ultimately pay the price. Or not have working appliances.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:02 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
Ah, but you see all the repairmen in the area are in tune to each others prices. If one starts charging more, others will feel comfortable charging more as well. Yes there will always be the one who is known to be more pricey and the one who is known to be cheaper, but its all within a certain percent. Collectively, they all go up together. Just like shaitel machers.
Only difference is, appliance repairmen are decent folk who tend to raise things appropriately, within reason. But there really is nothing stopping them (other than being a basic mentch) from jacking up prices to a ridiculous degree, together, and people feeling the pressure will ultimately pay the price. Or not have working appliances.

And who set the price for a service call? Sometimes $150 to tell you that your appliance can't be fixed and you have to replace it
Who set the price for a party planner? Price can be a couple of thousands for one evening.
Who set the price for a famous singer that can charge 20 thousands for a couple of hours?

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:06 pm
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
And who set the price for a service call? Sometimes $150 to tell you that your appliance can't be fixed and you have to replace it
Who set the price for a party planner? Price can be a couple of thousands for one evening.
Who set the price for a famous singer that can charge 20 thousands for a couple of hours?

Im not sure if we are agreeing or disagreeing. My point is that shaitel machers are no different than any other skilled service-all the other skill sets can also charge very steep prices, and the masses have no choice but to pay up or do without.
But for some reason, by and large the other skill sets dont charge such crazy amounts like some shaitel machers do. They easily could, but they dont.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:12 pm
amother Taupe wrote:

I don’t know what kind of town you live in but in my area, repair people are not altruistic so they charge a price for their services based on what people will pay. They don’t keep prices lower because they are good but based on objective business considerations.

SM are not a monopoly or a cartel. Google and there are any number of salons offering this service. A wash and a set isn’t a big deal like a haircut on a wig. If you don’t like the way it was set, then use another SM. Since SM are not particularly skilled jist use any of the cheap ones.

I honestly don’t understand why the resentment towards a specific profession. Anyone is entitled to run their business or set their fees how they want.

Do people turn down wage increases or ask for less than they are worth because it will drive up prices for other people.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:12 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
Im not sure if we are agreeing or disagreeing. My point is that shaitel machers are no different than any other skilled service-all the other skill sets can also charge very steep prices, and the masses have no choice but to pay up or do without.
But for some reason, by and large the other skill sets dont charge such crazy amounts like some shaitel machers do. They easily could, but they dont.

Also an appliance guy isn’t called every 2 months on the dot. A Sheitel macher gets a Sheitel from a customer often , so you can’t compare

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:43 pm
amother Taupe wrote:

I was actually pointing out that there are many professional that charge way more than sm. And ppl for the most part have no issue hiring them.
Party planners charge a couple of thousands for one night of work...do most ppl manage without?
Service call for appliances repair charge sometimes $150 and it takes them 10 minutes to figure out that there's nothing to do...do most ppl call them greedy?
I can list many more examples if needed.
Not sure why iamothers decided to make a big deal about prices for sm. I don't see the problem in switching to someone cheaper if price doesn't suit you.
It's mind boggling to me to see pages upon pages of imas complaining about sm prices! What Scratching Head
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels