Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/o Moose Knuckles clothing- Obscene?
  Previous  1  2  3 5  6  7 9  10  11  Next

amother
Lemon

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 11:55 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
I once heard a very chasidish women tell her baby " come here I'll give you a p****" ( meaning a kiss) She is as innocent as ever yet that word has so so much bad meaning to it. Anyone not understanding that it means a simple kiss could cringe!

So many things could have double meanings.......

Not sheltered and I can't begin to imagine what the word is.

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 11:55 pm
hodeez wrote:
Can u please elaborate on those asterisks bc my mind is going to a bad place

Looks like they edited the word for me as I wrote out the full word Confused starts with p and ends with y.
ss in the middle. It's a common word to use instead of kiss by certain yiddish speaking families.

hodeez

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 11:56 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
Looks like they edited the word for me as I wrote out the full word Confused starts with p and ends with y.
ss in the middle. It's a common word to use instead of kiss by certain yiddish speaking families.

How is that real Surprised

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 11:57 pm
I knew what the word was right away, unfortunately.. And my grandmother calls a cat that word. Do I ever correct her? No...
Who cares? Anyone hearing her say it will realize she doesn't know. Not saying that applies to moose knuckles (which I had never heard of before this btw, and I'm extremely not sheltered with language), but in some cases just leave people alone.

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, Jan 28 2023, 11:59 pm
hodeez wrote:
How is that real Surprised

It's just part of their language. And, they obviously have no clue it has a bad meaning to others.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 12:02 am
amother Taupe wrote:
It's just part of their language. And, they obviously have no clue it has a bad meaning to others.

I'm chassidish and have never heard it used that way.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 12:04 am
amother Indigo wrote:

I'm chassidish as well. But I have heard very yiddish speaking families use this term.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 12:05 am
amother Indigo wrote:

Many many chassidish families in Williamsburg use that word for kiss...
I'm so curious where they got that word from...

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 12:08 am
amother Fuchsia wrote:
Many many chassidish families in Williamsburg use that word for kiss...
I'm so curious where they got that word from...

I googled and got this as my answer:

The Hungarian word for kiss is 'puszi'....... Pronounced .....

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 12:10 am
amother Taupe wrote:
I googled and got this as my answer:

The Hungarian word for kiss is 'puszi'....... Pronounced .....

Interesting...
I wonder what the non Jewish Hungarians say...

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 12:19 am
MYOB

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 1:03 am
amother NeonOrange wrote:
I knew what the word was right away, unfortunately.. And my grandmother calls a cat that word. Do I ever correct her? No...
Who cares? Anyone hearing her say it will realize she doesn't know. Not saying that applies to moose knuckles (which I had never heard of before this btw, and I'm extremely not sheltered with language), but in some cases just leave people alone.

It's a normal word, pussycat.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:49 am
amother Lemon wrote:

Exactly. And in Hungarian apparently it means "kiss." Why do we need to tell everyone what other meaning words have? I really think it's sometimes ok if people don't know

amother
Amaryllis

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 9:29 am
amother Lemon wrote:

I use it too Confused
I wondered why it was filtered when I used p**** about spots
Still don't know what bad meaning it has Dont know

amother
Crystal

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 9:38 am
Exactly. And in Hungarian apparently it means "kiss." Why do we need to tell everyone what other meaning words have? I really think it's sometimes ok if people don't know

If you live in a place where it's vulgar slang, yes people should know imo. If you live in Hungary where presumably it's not, that's a different story. You should be aware of the basic norms of the place you live in when it comes to offensive speech. (And p* is more offensive than Moose knuckles imo.)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 10:09 am
amother Crystal wrote:
If you live in a place where it's vulgar slang, yes people should know imo. If you live in Hungary where presumably it's not, that's a different story. You should be aware of the basic norms of the place you live in when it comes to offensive speech. (And p* is more offensive than Moose knuckles imo.)

Rav Aharon Kotler’s last name was originally פינס.
That wouldn’t be appropriate in English so it became Kotler. Even now רחוב פינס in Jerusalem is the subject of a lot of jokes by Americans. Some just refer to it as Pines- rhymes with wines. You do have to take into account the culture around you when using words that can easily be offensive in the common vernacular.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 12:01 pm
amother Amaryllis wrote:
I use it too Confused
I wondered why it was filtered when I used p**** about spots
Still don't know what bad meaning it has Dont know

I actual y don't think either "moose knuckles* or "p****" are "offensive." They are basically both very crude names for body parts. Both are vulgar, for sure. But they aren't curse words and I think it depends on the context of how they are being used.
Either way, this conversation is somewhat useless, as everyone is coming from vastly different viewpoints and everyone thinks she is right... Nothing is going to come out of it aside from teaching people bad words they didn't know before, and I don't think that's a positive thing.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 12:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
Rav Aharon Kotler’s last name was originally פינס.
That wouldn’t be appropriate in English so it became Kotler. Even now רחוב פינס in Jerusalem is the subject of a lot of jokes by Americans. Some just refer to it as Pines- rhymes with wines. You do have to take into account the culture around you when using words that can easily be offensive in the common vernacular.

You learn something new every day.

amother
Crystal

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 12:06 pm
I actual y don't think either "moose knuckles* or "p****" are "offensive." They are basically both very crude names for body parts. Both are vulgar, for sure. But they aren't curse words and I think it depends on the context of how they are being used.
Either way, this conversation is somewhat useless, as everyone is coming from vastly different viewpoints and everyone thinks she is right... Nothing is going to come out of it aside from teaching people bad words they didn't know before, and I don't think that's a positive thing.

P*y is only ever used in a s*xual context to my knowledge so yes, it's offensive. People should be aware.
Just like I've seen self described insular posters use casual terms here that are related to bathroom functions and are at least crude even if not vulgar--and if they knew the actual meaning they'd never use it. It's actually doing them an unkindness not to let them know.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 12:10 pm

Offensive or not, do you want to be walking around with a crude body part name on your clothing?
Page 6 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 5  6  7 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics