Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/o Moose Knuckles clothing- Obscene?
  Previous  1  2  3   9  10  11  Next

Highstrung

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 10:23 am
amother Brass wrote:
My coworkers that have discussed it noticed frum people wearing it. No one told them they have a coat, they just saw religious Jews wearing it and had a field day. They think whoever is wearing it has lost their minds. (Theyre right)

I hope you used the opportunity to explain how these people have no idea what they are wearing or what that symbolizes.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 10:29 am
amother Stoneblue wrote:
True. Ignorance is bliss.

Ignorance is bliss only if you don't step out of your community. When you're obliviously walking around with an inappropriate reference on your clothing, that's very embarrassing.

Would you walk around with other s-xual innuendos on your clothing? Pretty sure thats a no. The effects of that doesnt differ to the rest of the world just because you have no idea what it means.

Highstrung

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 10:31 am
amother Jade wrote:
Ignorance is bliss only if you don't step out of your community. When you're obliviously walking around with an inappropriate reference on your clothing, that's very embarrassing.

Would you walk around with other s-xual innuendos on your clothing? Pretty sure thats a no. The effects of that doesnt differ to the rest of the world just because you have no idea what it means.

A person can’t be embarrassed if they have no clue it’s something to be embarrassed about .

amother
Brass

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 10:32 am
Highstrung wrote:
I hope you used the opportunity to explain how these people have no idea what they are wearing or what that symbolizes.

I told them. Their response was how in the world can none of them know, and why dont the ones who do know go tell them right away. One of them asked me "would you let your Rabbi walk around with that? Your Rabbis's wife? Go tell them! Its disgusting!"

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 10:35 am
Is it possible to remove the logo? I wouldn't purchase or wear that brand, but if I innocently already spent a ton of money on it and cannot return it, I would want to salvage it.

little neshamala

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 10:35 am
amother Jade wrote:

I agree.
Imagine the next trend was a sweater with a symbol of a middle finger pointing up....imagine kids and teens from insular communities, naively walking around with that on their shoulder.
I cant see the "ignorance is bliss" argument going over well...it just doesnt work. If you dont know what a symbol or expression means, its still a problem if youre displaying it.

Persevere

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 10:36 am
Yes, it is obscene.

amother
Crystal

amother Brass wrote:
I told them. Their response was how in the world can none of them know, and why dont the ones who do know go tell them right away. One of them asked me "would you let your Rabbi walk around with that? Your Rabbis's wife? Go tell them! Its disgusting!"

Interesting. I have always worked with non Jewish colleagues and this just isn't the kind of thing they get worked up over. They might smile or share a laugh over something like this but they certainly wouldn't get invested to this extent or really care or even assume that I'm the one "letting" a rabbi or others wear anything specific or feeling like it's their mission to spread awareness in the Orthodox community.

amother
OP

amother Brass wrote:

Would they have a problem with a frum person drinking naked juice?

Highstrung

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 10:40 am
little neshamala wrote:
I agree.
Imagine the next trend was a sweater with a symbol of a middle finger pointing up....imagine kids and teens from insular communities, naively walking around with that on their shoulder.
I cant see the "ignorance is bliss" argument going over well...it just doesnt work. If you dont know what a symbol or expression means, its still a problem if youre displaying it.

So what do you suggest? How should this be rectified. Do you think “enlightening” a bunch of innocent children , teens and adults is the appropriate way ? Should schools educate the girls and explain it to them? If parents themselves don’t know what this means , like me, and I’m a very worldly person, then how can they educate their kids?

amother
Oldlace

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 10:40 am
amother Brass wrote:

I doubt they’re saying that. Nobody “lets” or “doesn’t let” other people do stuff in real life.

Highstrung

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 10:43 am
amother Brass wrote:

I work with over 100 non Jews in my office and they would totally understand why they wouldn’t know.
Last week one of the ice breaker questions at one of my team meetings was “Who is your favorite super hero?” And I replied that I did not grow up with a television and I know absolutely nothing about super heroes. They were not shocked . They didn’t make a big deal. They totally accepted and understood that I grew up more sheltered and they respect that about me.

amother
Brass

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 10:45 am
amother Crystal wrote:
Interesting. I have always worked with non Jewish colleagues and this just isn't the kind of thing they get worked up over. They might smile or share a laugh over something like this but they certainly wouldn't get invested to this extent or really care or even assume that I'm the one "letting" a rabbi or others wear anything specific or feeling like it's their mission to spread awareness in the Orthodox community.

Maybe it has to do with the kind of workplace relationship you have and how open you are..ive worked with them for years and over time (because of their constant daily exposure to frum yidden) we've had many open conversations, from why some chassidish men wont look them in the eye ehile speaking, to whether the hole on the sheet thing is true, to whay a shabbos [gentile] is, to why I cover my hair etc etc etc.
and I guess I gave good answers because they overall really respect us as frum Jews. Theyll bring up antisemitic newspaper headlines and discuss it with me...so they will easily bring up the fact that religious Jews are walking around with a disgusting emblem on their sleeve, and get all worked up about it. Mind you they werent all indignant exactly, more like laughing incredulously but a few were actually very bothered

amother
Crystal

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 10:46 am
amother Brass wrote:
Maybe it has to do with the kind of workplace relationship you have and how open you are..ive worked with them for years and over time (because of their constant daily exposure to frum yidden) we've had many open conversations, from why some chassidish men wont look them in the eye ehile speaking, to whether the hole on the sheet thing is true, to whay a shabbos [gentile] is, to why I cover my hair etc etc etc.
and I guess I gave good answers because they overall really respect us as frum Jews. Theyll bring up antisemitic newspaper headlines and discuss it with me...so they will easily bring up the fact that religious Jews are walking around with a disgusting emblem on their sleeve, and get all worked up about it. Mind you they werent all indignant exactly, more like laughing incredulously but a few were actually very bothered

Over 15 years. Yes I've gotten curious questions. But no, nobody would get that indignant.

amother
Brass

amother Oldlace wrote:
I doubt they’re saying that. Nobody “lets” or “doesn’t let” other people do stuff in real life.

Ok, I made up what she said. Rolling Eyes

amother
Cerulean

I see moose knuckles made it to the Mishpacha magazine Kichels comic strip. I wonder if the author and editor know what it means.

SuperWify

Highstrung wrote:
So what do you suggest? How should this be rectified. Do you think “enlightening” a bunch of innocent children , teens and adults is the appropriate way ? Should schools educate the girls and explain it to them? If parents themselves don’t know what this means , like me, and I’m a very worldly person, then how can they educate their kids?

Growing up I had no idea what nude meant. We all called nude stockings “nude”. Our very frum yeshivhsh teacher explained it to us. That was an eye opener.

I don’t think teachers should explain it’s an aroused males genitals to sheltered high schoolers but they can explain it’s something very vulgar and not something a frum person should wish to wear.

Last edited by SuperWify on Fri, Jan 27 2023, 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Brass

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 10:47 am
amother Crystal wrote:
Over 15 years. Yes I've gotten curious questions. But no, nobody would get that indignant.

Ok. So my coworkers are different than yours. Sorry What

SuperWify

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 10:47 am
amother Cerulean wrote:
I see moose knuckles made it to the Mishpacha magazine Kichels comic strip. I wonder if the author and editor know what it means.

That’s bad. Can you share?

little neshamala

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 10:48 am
amother Cerulean wrote:

Whaaaaaaaaat!
Whats it saying?
Page 2 of 11   Previous  1  2  3   9  10  11  Next Recent Topics