Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
If I opened my search to the entire US...
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 12:36 pm
The criteria are:

- Extremely affordable housing (think South Bend, IN)

- Special ed services, preferably within a Jewish school (Stbx wants all of our kids in a Jewish school, and is now pushing me on Milwaukee again...)

- Good medical care and affordable health insurance/high medicaid cap

- A warm, welcoming, sincere community. I don't care where or how big, and I'm flexible on hashkafa, but I don't have money for Shul dues, so it can't be a place like that if you catch my drift.

___

States I'm particularly interested in, if such a place exists there: NY, FL (not South Florida), but I'll consider anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 12:42 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
The criteria are:

- Extremely affordable housing (think South Bend, IN)

- Special ed services, preferably within a Jewish school (Stbx wants all of our kids in a Jewish school, and is now pushing me on Milwaukee again...)

- Good medical care and affordable health insurance/high medicaid cap

- A warm, welcoming, sincere community. I don't care where or how big, and I'm flexible on hashkafa, but I don't have money for Shul dues, so it can't be a place like that if you catch my drift.

___

States I'm particularly interested in, if such a place exists there: NY, FL (not South Florida), but I'll consider anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

These rarely go together. The states with the cheaper housing tend to provide far fewer services for special ed especially in Jewish schools and are often red states that have lower income limits for medicaid.

My friend in Ohio has a lot of school issues compared to my sons in Chicago who get way way way more then her child but her house is a fraction of what a house here costs.

If you would buy something smaller, less updated, not in the center of the neighborhood you may like Skokie. That would check a lot of your boxes. But really depends on your material standards.

The best public schools for special ed actually have really growing communities. Not huge but you may like northbrook or buffalo grove.

Last edited by mha3484 on Fri, Jan 27 2023, 12:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 12:43 pm
Houston has many of these.

amother
Honey

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 12:46 pm
You can get good Healthcare and services in marine park/Brooklyn. The community really depends what block you live on...some are friendlier than others. Same with shuls. The housing is also more on the expensive side.

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 12:53 pm
amother Honey wrote:
You can get good Healthcare and services in marine park/Brooklyn. The community really depends what block you live on...some are friendlier than others. Same with shuls. The housing is also more on the expensive side.

Isn't Brooklyn horrifyingly expensive?

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 12:53 pm
amother Tan wrote:
Houston has many of these.

Please tell me more? How much is housing? What are the schools like? What's the community like?

amother
DarkGray

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 12:55 pm
Detroit. I did a whole write up in one of your previous threads.
But can I ask what is wrong with Milwaukee? It’s a really nice community.

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 1:02 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
Detroit. I did a whole write up in one of your previous threads.
But can I ask what is wrong with Milwaukee? It’s a really nice community.

I don't know the first thing about it, it's cold and far away. I'm open to it, but I was under the impression that it's much more to the right of me religiously. Plus, I don't know anybody there at all. I know a couple of people in South Bend and in most other places we're looking into. Moving to a small town is great if you know you can stand on your own two feet, but I'll be moving under very vulnerable conditions. My stbx is well-connected in Milwaukee. I don't begrudge him that, but since he's still off and on threatening me with court battles for full custody (which in a healthy, just world shouldn't worry me in the slightest), I worry a lot about what would happen if he decides he's offended by something and tries to harm me in some way and I have no backup. Better not to be on such uneven ground.

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 1:02 pm
Can you link to your Detroit thread?

amother
Latte

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 1:03 pm
mha3484 wrote:
These rarely go together. The states with the cheaper housing tend to provide far fewer services for special ed especially in Jewish schools and are often red states that have lower income limits for medicaid.

My friend in Ohio has a lot of school issues compared to my sons in Chicago who get way way way more then her child but her house is a fraction of what a house here costs.

If you would buy something smaller, less updated, not in the center of the neighborhood you may like Skokie. That would check a lot of your boxes. But really depends on your material standards.

The best public schools for special ed actually have really growing communities. Not huge but you may like northbrook or buffalo grove.

I grew up in BG and went to school in Northbrook. My dad is still in BG. Both communities are extremely expensive.

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 1:03 pm
And just so I can do a bit of homework on it, can someone in the know please tell me the border I should stick within for housing in Milwaukee?

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 1:04 pm
mha3484 wrote:

Where are these?

amother
Latte

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 1:06 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
Where are these?

Northern suburbs of Chicago.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 1:08 pm
amother Latte wrote:
I grew up in BG and went to school in Northbrook. My dad is still in BG. Both communities are extremely expensive.

It depends on your standards. My mother lived in buffalo grove for a few years when she was an empty nester post divorce and not a lot of money. She rented a cute townhouse. There is more of a mix of type of house between a condo/townhouse/actual house. But it comes down to what your standards are. How many square feet do you need. How updated etc. Its worth a look even if its not for you in the end.

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 1:08 pm
amother Latte wrote:
Northern suburbs of Chicago.

I've heard everything there is waaaay beyond my reach. All of Chicago, really.

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 1:09 pm
mha3484 wrote:
It depends on your standards. My mother lived in buffalo grove for a few years when she was an empty nester post divorce and not a lot of money. She rented a cute townhouse. There is more of a mix of type of house between a condo/townhouse/actual house. But it comes down to what your standards are. How many square feet do you need. How updated etc. Its worth a look even if its not for you in the end.

Tell me the zip code and area I should stick within (which streets as borders) and I'll look it up.

amother
Clear

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 1:17 pm
Rochester, NY is a friendly community with a (comparatively) low cost of living and several major medical facilities in the area. I don’t know much about the special ed situation there, but maybe someone else can chime in or you could email the contact on the OU communities page.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 1:22 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
Tell me the zip code and area I should stick within (which streets as borders) and I'll look it up.

60089 look up the bay shul and thats where you want to be but its likely that its gotten more expensive over the years. Im just throwing out ideas. I like helping.

I think if your almost ex can get rid of the Jewish school for your kids who have special needs idea you will find it easier. The few places that it exists, you likely cant afford. Chicago. NY and NJ are the only ones I know of.

amother
Chicory

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 1:27 pm
What about Baltimore or Waterbury Connecticut? Are these communities your type?

mha3484

Post Fri, Jan 27 2023, 1:28 pm
Are you in special frum moms on facebook? This would be a good question to ask there
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating