Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Attention NY SLPs
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 5:53 pm
amother Gardenia wrote:
And here I am desperately trying to find any speech therapist to pay out of pocket. But nope they're all busy in the schools and nobody is available. I'm paying $90 cash for a 30 minute session to the one person I could find.

That's a fair amount for private pay. The agency rates are ridiculously low. I'm paying for my dd the same amount and feel like I am getting my money's worth.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 5:57 pm
Is there a similar petition for OT's?

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 5:58 pm
amother Coffee wrote:
Is there a similar petition for OT's?

It's probably inclusive of st/ot/pt. The rsa rate is the same for all of them

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 6:14 pm
amother Gardenia wrote:
And here I am desperately trying to find any speech therapist to pay out of pocket. But nope they're all busy in the schools and nobody is available. I'm paying $90 cash for a 30 minute session to the one person I could find.

Most likely all the therapists are booked solid since septemeber. I get calls/emails/texts literally on a daily basis from people/agencies desperate for therapists. If you start looking for a therapist in the middle of the school year you won't be able to find one with availability. There is a big shortage of therapists because many are leaving the field.

chanie303

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 12:25 pm
If you work for the Dept of Education in one of the public schools, you make nice money, you're off in the summer and you get full health benefits and pension. That's the way to go as an SLP

saltandvinegar

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 12:36 pm
chanie303 wrote:
If you work for the Dept of Education in one of the public schools, you make nice money, you're off in the summer and you get full health benefits and pension. That's the way to go as an SLP

I have been trying for over 2 years to get into the DOE. Its not as easy as snapping my fingers and getting in. And in what other field is it normal that you only make nice money, benefits, health insurance via one venue? Only by being an SLP in the DOE can you live life. Working in a SNF or agency is terrible pay too

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 1:21 pm
I am so sad for all of you. The pay here in NJ in private practice is much better and everyone pays privately.

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 1:25 pm
chanie303 wrote:

True, but that does not mean agency therapists should not be paid well also.
When you spend 4 years and 60k+ on student loans (at the minimum) it's reasonable to expect to have multiple job options that will allow you to make a decent living, not just one specific pathway that is hard to get accepted to

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 4:14 pm
If you would work in a Non-Jewish outpatient clinic, hospital, rehab, etc. are there jobs available and is the pay/benefits good? Why do people think they need to only work in frum schools for low pay? Aren’t there multiple jobs out there? Or am I naive?

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 4:52 pm
Recent SLP graduate here. Is it the same with Early Intervention? Why are so many SLPs choosing to work for agency and schools and not EI if it pays more ?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 4:59 pm
I’m an slp, got my degree from touro it cost in the 30 thousand range… where did everyone go to school that is quoting 80-100 grand?!

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:00 pm
amother Fuchsia wrote:
I’m an slp, got my degree from touro it cost in the 30 thousand range… where did everyone go to school that is quoting 80-100 grand?!

For your Masters?? When was this? I looked into Touro 3 years ago and it was definitely over 80!!

mommy100

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:28 pm
I went to touro and took out over 50k student loans just for grad school.

Ppl don’t like EI since you need to travel so even if the pay is more then Jewish agency are paying it might not be so worthwhile in the long run.

What non Jewish agencies /private practices exist in the Brooklyn area I don’t know of any

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:35 pm
Therapists deserve more money. But the city is giving all the money to the migrants. This raise won't happen.

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:38 pm
amother Fuchsia wrote:

I went to touro. Graduated 2016. Don't remember exactly but the masters was approx 50-60k

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:40 pm
amother Daisy wrote:
Recent SLP graduate here. Is it the same with Early Intervention? Why are so many SLPs choosing to work for agency and schools and not EI if it pays more ?

EI is also through agencies. You do make a bit more per session but you can't do sessions back to back because you have to travel. In a school you do back to back. So it basically evens out.

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:51 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
EI is also through agencies. You do make a bit more per session but you can't do sessions back to back because you have to travel. In a school you do back to back. So it basically evens out.

Okay got it thank you! I'm not even working as an SLP now because the pay is so little and I found a job that pays about the same for less stress. So frustrating that I owe sooo much in students loans and not even using my degree! I wish I knew how little SLPs make before I went to school:(Sad

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 5:59 pm
I wouldn't have chosen speech had I known how little I would make. I just need the flexibility. I know people who work for the board of Ed in public school but it's not for a young mother of small children. Schedule is very rigid and you cant take off if needed to be with your kids. You only get minimal days off per year after yt and other days you must take off. I wish I could get a pension and insurance working in a local Jewish school but I can't. I do need the flexibility though. A sick kid, school vacation, kids play, babysitter sick.... so many things crop up and if dh can't be the one taking off, I can't commit to a job that isn't flexible for these things.

amother
Valerian

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:19 pm
amother Cerise wrote:
I wouldn't have chosen speech had I known how little I would make. I just need the flexibility. I know people who work for the board of Ed in public school but it's not for a young mother of small children. Schedule is very rigid and you cant take off if needed to be with your kids. You only get minimal days off per year after yt and other days you must take off. I wish I could get a pension and insurance working in a local Jewish school but I can't. I do need the flexibility though. A sick kid, school vacation, kids play, babysitter sick.... so many things crop up and if dh can't be the one taking off, I can't commit to a job that isn't flexible for these things.

It's a trade off. The therapists I know who work in the public schools feel it's worth it for the pay scale, benefits, and eventual pension plan even with the rigid schedule, but it is completely understandable why many prefer the flexibility even if it comes with lower pay. It's like that for a lot of jobs, though. I don't know of many high paying jobs that also come with so much flexibility in regard to schedule and ability to take days off. Most people I know are always tracking and planning ahead for PTO days.

chanie303

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 6:56 pm
I’ve worked for the DOE for 13+ years starting from when my kids were little. You can’t beat the benefits, the day ends relatively early, and you can take “religious observance days” that don’t count against your paid days off. They give off rosh hashana and Yom Kippur and pesach already, so it’s just succos and shavuous. Feel free to pm me if you have questions.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries