Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Why are Chasidim moving to Florida?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Rappel

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 3:01 am
And not, say, Alaska?

I'm genuinely curious.

Florida is a lovely place for people whom like to wear one cotton layer, but it sounds like death for someone in chassidish levush.

For freedom of religion and low-cost open land, why aren't chassidim going north?

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 3:07 am
I'm not Chassidic but off the top of my head, I's guess:

- It's not as easy (6.5 hr flight vs 3-hr flight; $75-200 vs $300-800 fare) to travel to Alaska from the NYC area.

- Less existing Jewish infrastructure (kosher food, restaurants, schools, shuls, other Jews)

- Parnassa challenges

- A desire for warm weather (even if you are overdressed)

- Weird Shabbat timings way up North due to the tilt of the Earth's axis

amother
Steel

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 3:14 am
Why Alaska? What about Finland or Iceland? Or Russia?
Instead why don't you focus on trying to manufacture cooler fabrics as a more realistic solution if you are so worried about them being too hot.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 3:15 am
Or parts of Canada, with good health insurance and English everywhere except Quebec?

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 3:20 am
amother Hyacinth wrote:
Or parts of Canada, with good health insurance and English everywhere except Quebec?

Don't they have a lousy socialized medicine Healthcare system?
How is it different than a Montreal?

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 3:38 am
There are actually (so far) more chassidim moving to Arizona, Indiana, Baltimore or more Upstate NY.
Different people have different preferences and people chose accordingly.
Why many think Florida is a good idea? In addition to reasons listed above,there are people who don't tolerate cold,food import will be cheaper than many other states because there already are routes in that area, and for some it simply is a state they are already familiar with.
Also because there already is a Jewish presence in the state, the state already has some understanding of our needs (ex hatzolah, misaskim).
Why are there so many chassidim in bnei brak? Also very hot. Some people don't mind the heat much.

It also is in the same time zone as NY, where the family of most people who will be moving live.

Rappel

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 4:41 am
amother Dimgray wrote:
There are actually (so far) more chassidim moving to Arizona, Indiana, Baltimore or more Upstate NY.
Different people have different preferences and people chose accordingly.
Why many think Florida is a good idea? In addition to reasons listed above,there are people who don't tolerate cold,food import will be cheaper than many other states because there already are routes in that area, and for some it simply is a state they are already familiar with.
Also because there already is a Jewish presence in the state, the state already has some understanding of our needs (ex hatzolah, misaskim).
Why are there so many chassidim in bnei brak? Also very hot. Some people don't mind the heat much.

It also is in the same time zone as NY, where the family of most people who will be moving live.

Your reasons make sense, though I still think that since Jewish communities want to import their own infrastructure (schools, frum services, etc), selecting areas with more open land makes more sense than Florida.

A poster above suggested Finland. However, moving en masse to a foreign country is nigh impossible. Other than Israel, the only real place US citizens could create such developments is within the US.

Your Bnei Break comment also made me chuckle. Smile There was a time when Israel was only a few miles wide, so there wasn't a lot of choice regarding location. And once a community is established in place, then it's rare for it to completely transplant. But yes, the Merkaz is HOT.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 4:43 am
Are chasidim prohibited from moving to a warmer climate?
Why would you want to ship them off to Alaska, of all places?

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 4:45 am
amother Steel wrote:
Why Alaska? What about Finland or Iceland? Or Russia?
Instead why don't you focus on trying to manufacture cooler fabrics as a more realistic solution if you are so worried about them being too hot.

Thumbs Up

Rappel

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 4:51 am
amother Lightcoral wrote:
Are chasidim prohibited from moving to a warmer climate?
Why would you want to ship them off to Alaska, of all places?

Of course not. However, just the levush alone made Florida seem an odd choice. The state is also crowded, and heavily burdened. Yet I keep reading about these developments popping up.

I thought of Alaska because it has tremendous tracts of cheap open land for development, and the state is not going to pick on Jews for living however we want to live. It's very beautiful there as well.

But it was just an example. Any conservative, low density, lassaiz faire state with good weather would substitute.

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 5:24 am
How many conservative states are there with good weather and wide open spaces? Alaska is surely not one of them!

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 5:57 am
Rappel wrote:
Of course not. However, just the levush alone made Florida seem an odd choice. The state is also crowded, and heavily burdened. Yet I keep reading about these developments popping up.

I thought of Alaska because it has tremendous tracts of cheap open land for development, and the state is not going to pick on Jews for living however we want to live. It's very beautiful there as well.

But it was just an example. Any conservative, low density, lassaiz faire state with good weather would substitute.

Florida has seen a huge influx of new residents, but I would not call it "crowded" when compared to the places from which many of Hasidim are moving (Brooklyn, Monsey).

It's kind of weird that you think tons of people would want to move to Alaska, of all places, simply because it is not uncomfortable to wear long sleeves there.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 6:03 am
If levush is the problem in hot climates, I say, don't avoid those places but adjust the levush.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 6:16 am
The heat is mainly an issue of you make it an issue IMHO. You just live with it. I live in BB and I haven't heard of someone who moved solely because of climate.
There are *plenty* of advantages to live in BB. An abundance of hechsherim and supermarkets. Frum Clothing. Judaica. The list is endless.
And if you don't find it in the city you are very close to tel aviv and other cities Smile

amother
Chicory

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:49 am
amother Thistle wrote:
How many conservative states are there with good weather and wide open spaces? Alaska is surely not one of them!

Conservative states in the Deep South are not super Jewish friendly anyway. Even if they are conservative. Chassidim are likely moving to Florida because it’s familiar.

amother
Chicory

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:50 am
amother Blue wrote:
If levush is the problem in hot climates, I say, don't avoid those places but adjust the levush.

That’s kind of rude. Chassidim are proud of their levush.

amother
Almond

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:35 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
The heat is mainly an issue of you make it an issue IMHO. You just live with it. I live in BB and I haven't heard of someone who moved solely because of climate.
There are *plenty* of advantages to live in BB. An abundance of hechsherim and supermarkets. Frum Clothing. Judaica. The list is endless.
And if you don't find it in the city you are very close to tel aviv and other cities Smile

I live in BB too and one of the biggest reasons we want to move is because of the climate. It is really hard to wear chassidish levush in this heat. And yes 60 degrees is HOT for my dh! Waiting for winter to arrive, it's just not coming this year! We put on the A/C this shabbos...

When my husband heard that they are making a chassidish community in Florida he couldn't wrap his brain around it. I totally agree with OP.

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:55 am
amother Chicory wrote:
That’s kind of rude. Chassidim are proud of their levush.

I doubt that chassidim moving to Florida or those that wear their reckel all day. they'll wear their shirt shirts, buy lighter weight pants. maybe some switch to short sleeve polos. (nothing wrong with it, in my opinion, so dont throw tomatoes. many would wear it in Brooklyn too if they didnt have their parents/culture breathing down their back)

mushkamothers

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:58 am
No offense but you kind of sound like the people in amusement parks who used to stop us and rudely ask why we're wearing long skirts in the summer. We always answered that it's cooler than exposing all that skin. Chassidim aren't wearing head to eye Muslim garb...

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:59 am
This thread stinks. Shame on you Op.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating