Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Why are Chasidim moving to Florida?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

tichellady

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 3:08 pm
I wonder why anyone moves to florida. I would never chose to live in that climate

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 3:15 pm
amother Banana wrote:
Where in Florida is there an all Jewish neighborhood?
Even Williamsburg has plenty of non Jews.

Oh so you didn't chap what this is all about.

See this.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....99311

They are building a new community in a place that's currently empty land.

There is also another one in even earlier planning stages being planned south of Orlando.

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 3:18 pm
tichellady wrote:
I wonder why anyone moves to florida. I would never chose to live in that climate

So don't! Very Happy

amother Dimgray wrote:
Let this be a PSA.

Whoever dislikes intense heat should not even think of moving to Florida!

amother
Trillium

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 3:34 pm
amother Lavender wrote:
I once got stopped in nyc on a hot day and asked if I’m from Alaska. I was wearing a 3/4 sleep thing tshirt and a thin cotton skirt, nude stocking and flats. I thought it was kind of funny and rude at the same time. Like I don’t think I’m much hotter than the ladies wearing tanks and shorts to be honest except the stockings maybe.

Curious how you would know that - unless you've tried out the tank and shorts?

Just the fact that people remove clothing when they're hot, speaks to the fact that the less clothing you have on, the less hot you are.

amother
Rainbow

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 3:39 pm
amother Trillium wrote:

Just the fact that people remove clothing when they're hot, speaks to the fact that the less clothing you have on, the less hot you are.

I can tell you, between wearing thin stockings and no stockings in the heat, no stockings definitely wins out as being cooler, no question.

thatworn

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 3:48 pm
amother Dimgray wrote:
There are actually (so far) more chassidim moving to Arizona, Indiana, Baltimore or more Upstate NY.
Different people have different preferences and people chose accordingly.
Why many think Florida is a good idea? In addition to reasons listed above,there are people who don't tolerate cold,food import will be cheaper than many other states because there already are routes in that area, and for some it simply is a state they are already familiar with.
Also because there already is a Jewish presence in the state, the state already has some understanding of our needs (ex hatzolah, misaskim).
Why are there so many chassidim in bnei brak? Also very hot. Some people don't mind the heat much.

It also is in the same time zone as NY, where the family of most people who will be moving live.

Which parts of Indiana and Arizona are chassidim moving to??? Are there enough chassidim that there are already schools and chedorim, etc??????!?!?!?!?!?!??!

GLUE

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 4:03 pm
In Nebraska and Kansas they are giving out free land to park your trailer or build a house.

There are not many takers because there are not many jobs and a few other reasons.

If the Chadidim are bring there own jobs maybe that could work and the climate will defiantly be cooler.

thornyrose

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 4:11 pm
thatworn wrote:
Which parts of Indiana and Arizona are chassidim moving to??? Are there enough chassidim that there are already schools and chedorim, etc??????!?!?!?!?!?!??!

The chassidishe community in Casa Grande, Arizona is very small. There are 2-3 kids per class.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 4:40 pm
What area is "BB"?

amother
Rainbow

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 4:48 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
What area is "BB"?

Bnei Brak (in Israel)

amother
Apple

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 5:48 pm
amother Dimgray wrote:
Let this be a PSA.

Whoever dislikes intense heat should not even think of moving to Florida!

Just want to chime in here. I didnt think there was a man on earth who disliked the heat as much as my husband.
When the idea of relocating to Florida came up, I thought he was joking. I knew he could never stand the heat.
In the end, the joke was on me, because we did move here. We are living here many years now and can't imagine our home being anywhere else.

My husband still dislikes the heat. We keep our AC on all the time. Our house is always cool. The car is cool. The shul is cool. He got used to walking on Shabbos in the heat. Otherwise, it's from the house to the car.

Also. For about half the year, the weather is very pleasant. It's hot between pesach and Sukkos.

amother
Hyssop

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:53 pm
I wondered the same thing OP. It seems like a strange choice for a few reasons.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 8:58 pm
amother Trillium wrote:

I don’t think that a tank is thwt much cooler than a three quarters sleeve t shirt. I’m not wearing more clothing then then (except the stockings like I mentioned) it’s just that my clothing has a few more inches. That shouldn’t make such a big deal really. And it’s not just chassidish people wearing skirts and tops. It’s not like chassidish people are wearing sleeves and skirts and everyone else is wearing tanks and shorts.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 9:01 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
I can tell you, between wearing thin stockings and no stockings in the heat, no stockings definitely wins out as being cooler, no question.
I don’t disagree with that! In my original point I did concede to that point although I’m not sure that the guy who questioned whether I came from Alaska even noticed I was wearing stockings to be honest. I just don’t think that a tshirt with more coverage is so drastically cooler than a tank of the same fabric. And the same with a skirt and shorts. If anything a skirt seems cooler as the breeze can get up there

WhatFor

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 9:26 pm
tichellady wrote:

I'm with you on this. I don't mind very hot climates, it's the heat plus the humidity that gets me. Different strokes for different folks.

amother
Tuberose

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 9:41 pm
amother Brown wrote:
My DH is not American and grew up in a warm climate. He always comments about how strange it is that frum Jews in the US chose to live in such cold areas . Think NY, NJ, Chicago etc.
He’s so happy that finally more and more communities are “coming to their senses” and moving to warmer areas. He’d suffer through any extreme heat , to avoid NY winters .

Some people enjoy the cold. I love winter. It's my favorite season. I would never be able to move to a warm climate. I don't consider myself a "senseless" person who needs to "come to my senses" and move somewhere warm. Everyone has different preferences.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 9:48 pm
WhatFor wrote:
I'm with you on this. I don't mind very hot climates, it's the heat plus the humidity that gets me. Different strokes for different folks.

Someone once told me it's because some New Yorkers see their options as NY or FL. And if you don't like the cold, then FL is better. It's like there is no where else in the world. It sounds crazy but I think it's true.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 10:09 pm
amother Babyblue wrote:
Someone once told me it's because some people see their options as NY or FL. And if you don't like the cold, then FL is better. It's like there is no where else in the world. It sounds crazy but I think it's true.

Maybe. And perhaps that's because there are other factors that only or mostly exist in NY and Fl that make it make sense for them- like certain communities?

I've briefly perused this thread so just dumping my other thoughts here.

To the posters comparing Bnei Brak to Florida, it's not exactly on point. I looked up average humidity in Orlando (which I believe is somewhat close to these newer communities?) and it's about 10% higher humidity than in BB. Also, it's consistently hotter (by monthly average) especially in the winter months, although also in the summer. So overall it seems like it's hotter and more humid. Obviously some people care about this more than others.

No clothing may (or may not) be cooler in the immediate moment, but it's generally less safe in places with extreme heat. Think about how people in certain middle eastern countries cover themselves- cotton cloths over their heads, loose fitting long cotton clothing. For myself, I hate wearing anything other than cotton in the summer (and winter to actually). It just needs to be breathable. For me it would be super challenging if I were required to wear fur and wool. But if that's not an issue for someone else, go them.

I don't think the Op referenced Alaska to be disrespectful. A lot of the garb evolved in places with a cold climate, like in parts of Russia, no? It's reasonable to ask that if you are committed to that garb and are starting a new community from scratch, why not go somewhere where the garb was created to be most suitable. (Remember Sarah Palin - I can see Russia from my house!) That said, I don't think these communities are really fully starting from scratch. It seems like they're choosing places where there's some sort of religious infrastructure there already, which is why Alaska would be a non-starter.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating