Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Would you stop keeping CY because of money?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:22 pm
Money is very tight. I calculated that we spend at least $150 more a month due to CY costs and I think its a no brainer that it is one of the easiest things to cut out (we have already significantly reduced our protein, limiting how much expensive food like eggs or chicken that we eat, don’t eat any meat, limit how many yogurts we buy, etc). We don’t eat luxurious meals by any standards (a typical supper would be a bean soup and rice ). My husband understands where I am coming from but says he can’t bring himself to do it. I would feel very guilty to make food for myself and the kids that he can’t eat (especially since he is the biggest eater in the family as my kids are little so not sure how much we will save if he still buys for himself).
What would you do?

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:25 pm
Personally I wouldnt.

mha3484

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:26 pm
I also would not

Highstrung

My DH stopped sticking to CY due to another issue. He had to be matir neder . So keep it in mind incase you do switch. You need to check with your rav whether you need to be matir neder or not.

amother
Darkblue

No, unless it's a health concern for a specific child, I would get for that child. Like if your child needs a specific formula or refuses all other food & would be malnourished otherwise.

Can you reduce dairy in general? I'm assuming $150/ month is way more than just milk.

amother
Currant

I would speak to a Rav. Very might be a valid reason to stop buying CY!

ShishKabob

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:27 pm
First, I just want to sympathize with you. It's really tough when money is tight.
In response to your question.
Never, it has an affect on the way you function. You may have other expenses elsewhere which will leave you no savings. I don't think it's worth it at all.

amother
Poppy

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:27 pm
I would ask a Rav

amother
Offwhite

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:32 pm
Just for some perspective: my very maikil rav told me I have to kasher my microwave after a relative heated up cholov stam food in it. Clearly not so simple to eat cholov stam - especially if living in an area where cholov yisroel is easily accessible. Maybe ask if you can use maaser money towards buying cholov yisroel.

I am also on a very tight budget but would never consider not keeping cholov yisroel.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:32 pm
amother Darkblue wrote:
No, unless it's a health concern for a specific child, I would get for that child. Like if your child needs a specific formula or refuses all other food & would be malnourished otherwise.

Can you reduce dairy in general? I'm assuming $150/ month is way more than just milk.

We eat a lot of cereal and milk. Probably go through about $40 a week in milk alone.
We started cutting back on yogurts but still find dinners with cheese to be cheaper than those with chicken.

Highstrung

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:34 pm
amother Offwhite wrote:
Just for some perspective: my very maikil rav told me I have to kasher my microwave after a relative heated up cholov stam food in it. Clearly not so simple to eat cholov stam - especially if living in an area where cholov yisroel is easily accessible. Maybe ask if you can use maaser money towards buying cholov yisroel.

I am also on a very tight budget but would never consider not keeping cholov yisroel.

I have family who eat chalav stam cold in their home only . They do not cook with it or heat up.
For example, milk , yogurts , cereal etc.

Last edited by Highstrung on Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Oleander

I would sooner cut out dairy. Can you cut down on dairy?

amother
OP

amother Offwhite wrote:

1- our rav doesn’t hold that we would need to kasher. We use cholov stam formula in our sinks.
2- it’s not so easily accessible. There are times I have to go to 3 stores or go shopping at a specific day and time to get milk. My out of town city isn’t great in this regard. I have considered stopping for that alone (the aggravation and time that it takes to find milk especially at certain times of year).

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:35 pm
amother Oleander wrote:
I would sooner cut out dairy. Can you cut down on dairy?

We can’t eat nuts because of allergies , some of my kids don’t like beans, chicken and meat is too expensive, what food does that leave us with?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:36 pm
Highstrung wrote:
My DH stopped sticking to CY due to another issue. He had to be matir neder . So keep it in mind incase you do switch. You need to check with your rav whether you need to be matir neder or not.

We were already matir neder. My husband just can’t bring himself to eat it (after almost 30 years of only eating CY)

Highstrung

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
We eat a lot of cereal and milk. Probably go through about $40 a week in milk alone.
We started cutting back on yogurts but still find dinners with cheese to be cheaper than those with chicken.
thats A LOT of milk! I’m a family of 7 and we go through $6 of milk a week.
Maybe serve sandwiches rather than cereal.

Highstrung

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:38 pm
Highstrung wrote:
thats A LOT of milk! I’m a family of 7 and we go through $6 of milk a week.
Maybe serve sandwiches rather than cereal.

I see now that you mentioned you are OOT. Now I understand the price.

amother
Tulip

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:41 pm
Shop rite chicken is cheaper than empire .
No bracha will come from lowering standards in. Kashrus.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:42 pm
I wouldn't go down in a ruchnius area, in order to save money. Call me superstitious but I don't want that money to cost me elsewhere. Like I don't think that reducing your frumkeit can be a source of bracha even if according to the letter of the law it is permissible etc.

amother
Darkblue

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 7:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
1- our rav doesn’t hold that we would need to kasher. We use cholov stam formula in our sinks.
2- it’s not so easily accessible. There are times I have to go to 3 stores or go shopping at a specific day and time to get milk. My out of town city isn’t great in this regard. I have considered stopping for that alone (the aggravation and time that it takes to find milk especially at certain times of year).

This is probably why it's $40 a week.

I'd probably do alot more pb& j sandwiches, Bananas, rice cakes & jam, etc.
Yogurt is completely unnecessary especially if sugary.
How about cooked cereals where you only add some milk on top.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics