Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Would you stop keeping CY because of money?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:05 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
Nowadays there are some Kashrus concerns with non-CY, for example DA cows.
https://oukosher.org/publicati.....t-ii/

And note that the heter for cholov stam does NOT apply to cheese.

It's not a kashrus concern if poskim you hold by say it is fine.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:09 pm
amother Beige wrote:
Is WIC an option by you?
They give so so much milk. I get 8 gallon a month. This is for myself, baby under a year and a child.

I wish I can share with OP.

We get Wic but unfortunately one of my kids just turned 5 and we only have my my toddler on it who is getting specialized formula through Wic instead of milk.

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:09 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:

Um what? Where did you get this (non) information from?

https://outorah.org/p/44934

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:10 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
It's not a kashrus concern if poskim you hold by say it is fine.

Of course it's a kashrus concern. I didn't say it's asur across the board. It's a concern, and some Poskim hold that it's botul.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:10 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
Um what? Where did you get this (non) information from?

See link.

Gevinas Yisroel is a separate isur.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:11 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:

I’ve never heard this before, can you point me to where I can find this?

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:14 pm
"It is important to note that even people who drink cholov stam and are not makpid to only drink cholov yisroel are nonetheless prohibited to eat cheese that is not gevinas yisroel. The heter of cholov stam does not permit cheese that is not gevinas yisroel. (V. Yoreh Deah 115:2, Igros Moshe YD I:47)"

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:17 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
"It is important to note that even people who drink cholov stam and are not makpid to only drink cholov yisroel are nonetheless prohibited to eat cheese that is not gevinas yisroel. The heter of cholov stam does not permit cheese that is not gevinas yisroel. (V. Yoreh Deah 115:2, Igros Moshe YD I:47)"

This is not saying what you think it is saying.

You can make gevinas yisroel out of chalav stam milk.

(Read my link above.)

ETA: added link

https://outorah.org/p/44934

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:18 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:

I could be misunderstanding, but I don’t think this means you can only eat chalav Yisrael cheese. One should check with their own rav if they aren’t sure.

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:21 pm
If there is an ou on the cheese, you don't have to second guess the ou. Its kosher (even though it may not be chalav yisroel).

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:24 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
If there is an ou on the cheese, you don't have to second guess the ou. Its kosher (even though it may not be chalav yisroel).

Right, that was my understanding form the first link, and from kashrus in general. If something isn’t acceptable, renowned hashgacha agencies won’t put their hashgacha on it.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:27 pm
Important to know, though, because plain milk may not need a hechsher if you eat cholov stam, but cheese does.

dovebird

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:31 pm
Are you pregnant or have any kids under five? If you are eligible for food stamps, try getting WIC (if you have the above specifications). You could get cy milk and cheese with it (in NY at least, I know you are oot but it's worth a shot)

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Money is very tight. I calculated that we spend at least $150 more a month due to CY costs and I think its a no brainer that it is one of the easiest things to cut out (we have already significantly reduced our protein, limiting how much expensive food like eggs or chicken that we eat, don’t eat any meat, limit how many yogurts we buy, etc). We don’t eat luxurious meals by any standards (a typical supper would be a bean soup and rice ). My husband understands where I am coming from but says he can’t bring himself to do it. I would feel very guilty to make food for myself and the kids that he can’t eat (especially since he is the biggest eater in the family as my kids are little so not sure how much we will save if he still buys for himself).
What would you do?

I'm not a rav so I can't pasken but I don't undersrand why posters are making it sound like chalav stam with an ou is treif. It is not. If your rav says you can and you were matir neder then buy chalav stam milk. It's not treif for gosh sake!!! Stop getting scared because of what posters are saying. If the milk has an ou , you were matir neder and your rav said it's ok then go for it. Stop worrying and listening to other posters .

amother
Tulip

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:39 pm
amother Maple wrote:
How ignorant. Chalav stam is not the equivalent of eating non kosher

I’m not ignorant or chabad. I was making a rhetorical point. We do ALOT of things for yidishkeit that are expensive. A house can be gotten in wheeling West Virginia for 20k yet I live in a frum community. I was raised with an extremely stringent view on chalav Yisrael. I don’t hold others to it but my opinion remains-nothing good comes out of lowering yidishkeit standards-

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:48 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
Important to know, though, because plain milk may not need a hechsher if you eat cholov stam, but cheese does.

That’s not the same as saying the heter doesn’t apply. If one is not makpid to only eat CY, then you can eat any cheese you find that has an acceptable hechsher. I don’t think anyone thinks cheese doesn’t need a hashgacha. And I don’t think I’ve ever seen plain cow milk in the US that doesn’t have a hachsher.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:52 pm
amother Tulip wrote:
I’m not ignorant or chabad. I was making a rhetorical point. We do ALOT of things for yidishkeit that are expensive. A house can be gotten in wheeling West Virginia for 20k yet I live in a frum community. I was raised with an extremely stringent view on chalav Yisrael. I don’t hold others to it but my opinion remains-nothing good comes out of lowering yidishkeit standards-

I haven’t read the teshuva of R’ Moshe, but according to this, it seems that he didn’t hold one was better than the other.

https://oukosher.org/blog/cons.....case/

“ In the United States today, the government guarantees the integrity and wholesomeness of the milk supply. It assures that all regular milk sold comes only from cows. With this vigilant supervision on the part of the USDA of the American milk supply, the question was posed as to whether, as a matter of halachah, we have the right to rely on such supervision to fulfill the requirement for chalav yisrael. This question was most recently addressed by Rabbi Moshe Feinstein, zt“l, who ruled that all milk sold in the United States, as well as in any country where milk is as strictly controlled is permitted as a matter of halachah, and equivalent to chalav yisrael.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:56 pm
amother Tulip wrote:

How can it be lowering standards when this was not part of the original standard? It only became the standard when the integrity of the supply line couldn’t be trusted.

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 2:52 am
Where I live there is no CY. I love plain yogurt or quark as a snack but I never buy it because no CY. I buy it from Antwerp or Amsterdam and it costs a fortune.
The wife of our Rav tells me her husband allows us to eat cholov akum because we are living here and can't get CY. Yet I buy UHT milk, CY and hard cheese are also CY. DH buys American snacks with OU-D but I never like these snacks.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 3:10 am
I know a family that gives Chalav stam to their children under bar/bas mitzva. Would that work for you? You could also limit it to cold milk.
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics