Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Buying from a jew/nonjew
Previous  1  2

amother
Obsidian

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 6:09 pm
I'm more than happy to give a jew my business as long as they aren't ripping me off. I see no need to lose money to support someone else who clearly doesn't care about my money. There are some jewish small businesses that have excellent customer service and are reasonably priced and I'm happy to shop by them and recommend them to others.

cbg

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 6:48 pm
This is how I see it
The Jewish owner may have a bigger over head because his rent is higher where he is located
and/or
The Jewish owner may not be able to buy direct and buys from a distributor and the non Jew may be able to buy direct
and/or
The non Jew May get a better price from the manufacturer because he buys a higher volume

All this calculates into what to charge the customer

I would go back to the Jewish owner and tell him your dilemma and see if he can give you a better price
He may not be able to match it, but if he is able to give you a better price, eventhough it’s more I’d go with the Jewish owner. If he is not able to budge at all then I’d go with the cheaper option.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 8:01 pm
The one posting re the flooring incident, you used the frum guy's expertise & advice, which is included in the overall price. It's a serious halachic issue to buy the same thing somewhere else.

It's also a problem to browse in a store to see what they're selling with the intention of then buy it at the cheaper place.

amother
Pistachio

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 8:03 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
The one posting re the flooring incident, you used the frum guy's expertise & advice, which is included in the overall price. It's a serious halachic issue to buy the same thing somewhere else.

It's also a problem to browse in a store to see what they're selling with the intention of then buy it at the cheaper place.

Does everyone have reading comprehension issues? She already asked her Rav. Also, she DID NOT go into the store with the intention of buying elsewhere (hence her verbal commitment to buying it the next day which is what’s giving her issues).

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 10:59 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:

I'm not sure it is, people are impulsive and getting you in the store is a you never know situation. You give the store an opportunity to sell to you.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics