Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Help PKL- Jalapeño Potato Kugel???
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 1:51 pm
amother Bellflower wrote:
Was just looking online because you got me curious about spicy kugel- saw a recipe that called for a tsp of Aleppo pepper (I think that’s like crushed spicy red pepper flakes) and a tbsp of zatar. Also used 1 tbsp of black pepper.. sounds pretty sharp
No, I will not be trying because I love my potato kugel just the way it is 😛…
Can you call the store that makes the kugel he wants and ask what they use to make it sharp? If you’re still curious..

Hmm. I never heard of Aleppo pepper. But it sounds Syrian and he told me that the restaurant is owned by a Moroccan lady. (Or maybe he is mistaken in that as well?? You know, Ashkenazim like us don't always know the difference.)
Also, I strongly dislike zaatar, so I think I would have tasted it in the kugel.

Yes, I was curious, so I looked up the place online. Unfortunately, they did not have an updated menu. Maybe I will call them...I didn't think of that.
(Maybe the next time I'm in that area, if I have time, I'll go check it out. )

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 17 2023, 1:27 pm
Well, I finally got a chance to try out the crushed red pepper in the kugel today. I'm happy to report that it was a success!

I don't have amounts, but I just put a few shakes of the spice. I used my regular kugel recipe, and poured some of the batter into a small pan to try it out with some red pepper. It was delicious! It was definitely spicy, but in a good way. Wouldn’t do it every week, but maybe once a month. It makes for a nice change.

Let me know if you try it and if you like it!

amother
Bellflower

Post Fri, Feb 17 2023, 1:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
Well, I finally got a chance to try out the crushed red pepper in the kugel today. I'm happy to report that it was a success!

I don't have amounts, but I just put a few shakes of the spice. I used my regular kugel recipe, and poured some of the batter into a small pan to try it out with some red pepper. It was delicious! It was definitely spicy, but in a good way. Wouldn’t do it every week, but maybe once a month. It makes for a nice change.

Let me know if you try it and if you like it!

What’s the spice called that you used? Crushed red pepper?

amother
Marigold

Post Fri, Feb 17 2023, 1:49 pm

Crushed red pepper flakes
https://www.amazon.com/McCormi.....0cnVl

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 17 2023, 1:57 pm

Yes.

amother
Bellflower

Post Fri, Feb 17 2023, 3:00 pm
I will try adding crushed red pepper flakes because my 17 year old son has been complaining about my kugel… he likes hot and spicy for everything so this might do something for him. He even puts crushed red pepper on his pizza. (Btw my kugel is delicious and everyone else seems to really enjoy…)
Approximately how much red pepper did you use?

amother
Winterberry

Post Fri, Feb 17 2023, 3:06 pm
I will try adding crushed red pepper flakes because my 17 year old son has been complaining about my kugel… he likes hot and spicy for everything so this might do something for him. He even puts crushed red pepper on his pizza. (Btw my kugel is delicious and everyone else seems to really enjoy…)

You can make a mini one just for him in case the others don’t like it spicy.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 17 2023, 3:17 pm

I just put a few shakes, not sure exactly. And like the amother above me said, I made a small 4x6, separate from the regular kugel.
I also put a few twists of fresh ground pepper.
Next time I'll try measuring, maybe. But this was perfect, just the right amount of spice.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics