Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Boys school in bklyn - yeshivish culture but decent secular
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Iris

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 4:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
Do some of these boys also go to college? My understanding was that more recently the secular studies have diminished? Can anyone verify?

Yes some do

amother
OP

amother Iris wrote:
Veretzky
I know professionals who send there and it’s a very nice balance

Would you mind telling me a bit more about it?

amother
Iris

amother Blonde wrote:
If you want your son do go to college, then definitely do NOT send to chaim berlin. I have a few brothers who went there.
The secular education in elementary has improved a bit over the past few years, but the high school is terrible.

That’s not true
My ds went there

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 4:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
Interesting perhaps we just got a wrong impression because the conversations were with judaic department. The way they spoke to us made it seem like everything secular is basically bad and a threat to torah. Wh,ereas that's just not our Derech. But at the same time a school where families are watching movies/TV, going on beach vacations and not very strict w tznius, is definitely not for us.

There's a long way to go until your child graduates HS - but since it's inception there have always been boys in YTV that go to college. As recently as last year I know someone who was there and going to college. Could be some of the boys go to EY and then BMG but plenty of guys are learning and going to college.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 5:08 pm
amother Iris wrote:
That’s not true
My ds went there

And he went to college following? Again it's not that college is our goal- it's Just having the option.

Edited to add- while learning too. There's no image in our head that there's ever a time our son won't be learning. Just not strictly kollel

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 5:12 pm
Also just want to say a huge thank you to all those taking the time to respond. We don't have many resources and I am trying to do the best I can.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 5:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
Would you mind telling me a bit more about it?

Veretzky is not for you! There's a big tznius problem there with the mothers. The families are not yeshivish at all.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 5:51 pm
amother Iris wrote:
That’s not true
My ds went there

It's 100% true. Do you know what goes on there during English? Maybe just take a walk past the building and you can hear all the wildness and kids screaming and hanging out of windows.
My mom had to hire tutors for my brothers for most of the regent subjects because they learned nothing in class.
My friend's dad is an English teacher and I've heard from him what goes on in class and how most of the boys don't care about english
Also did your ds go to college after hs? Did any of his classmates? it is really not common for chain Berlin boys to go to college (I'm not talking about those that go after a few years in kollel)

amother
Glitter

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 5:53 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
It's 100% true. Do you know what goes on there during English? Maybe just take a walk past the building and you can hear all the wildness and kids screaming and hanging out of windows.
My mom had to hire tutors for my brothers for most of the regent subjects because they learned nothing in class.
My friend's dad is an English teacher and I've heard from him what goes on in class and how most of the boys don't care about english
Also did your ds go to college after hs? Did any of his classmates? it is really not common for chain Berlin boys to go to college (I'm not talking about those that go after a few years in kollel)

Agree. Chaim Berlin English is a joke. And the kids know it. Torah vdaas definitely a better English education by far.

nicole81

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 7:44 pm
I vote for YTV.

My family is very mixed (we have kids who are in lwmo, rwmo, lubavitch, and yeshivish schools) and Torah Vodaath frankly found us super interesting and they were impressed how we balanced all the different types and respected everyone's derech. Didn't seem close minded to me at all. The principal talked to me at great length about my work in public education, was totally fine with the fact that some of our kids and us had devices and took down the names of what we used on phones to share with parents lol, he remarked that because we're more immersed in the secular world than most of their parents, we have an advantage when it comes to how to use the tech safely and smartly, as well as a better knowledge of how and why filters should be used. He made it seem like a huge plus and said that unfortunately it's been hard with the more sheltered clientele, as they don't realize the kids are going ahead and doing things anyway in this generation so we need to accept the technology and just be smart about it rather than the kids sneak around and be exposed to who knows what.

Why did I write this all lol? I think my point is he seemed to look at secular exposure as coming with unique advantages, and didn't think it was bad or that we should change (we were accepted on the spot). To me, it seemed like his frustrations lie with people who want to be so sheltered that they're in denial about what their kids will be exposed to. It was an interesting conversation. Had I lived closer I definitely would have sent there, but the commute was the deal breaker since we would have sent to the main building.

As far as other schools mentioned, I did send to Chofetz Chaim/ Tiferes Yisroel for a bit. I have no complaints about the school or education, but the parent body was definitely different than I expected and the crowd seems to have shifted. Pretty much everyone in my son's class watched TV regularly. I didn't find the crowd to be particularly wealthy or flashy as was posted upthread and it was a mix of all types. But the TV stuff and the amount of character gear and toys was a bit over the top for me. If you're ok with that, it can be an excellent choice.

amother
Glitter

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 8:18 pm
nicole81 wrote:
I vote for YTV.

My family is very mixed (we have kids who are in lwmo, rwmo, lubavitch, and yeshivish schools) and Torah Vodaath frankly found us super interesting and they were impressed how we balanced all the different types and respected everyone's derech. Didn't seem close minded to me at all. The principal talked to me at great length about my work in public education, was totally fine with the fact that some of our kids and us had devices and took down the names of what we used on phones to share with parents lol, he remarked that because we're more immersed in the secular world than most of their parents, we have an advantage when it comes to how to use the tech safely and smartly, as well as a better knowledge of how and why filters should be used. He made it seem like a huge plus and said that unfortunately it's been hard with the more sheltered clientele, as they don't realize the kids are going ahead and doing things anyway in this generation so we need to accept the technology and just be smart about it rather than the kids sneak around and be exposed to who knows what.

Why did I write this all lol? I think my point is he seemed to look at secular exposure as coming with unique advantages, and didn't think it was bad or that we should change (we were accepted on the spot). To me, it seemed like his frustrations lie with people who want to be so sheltered that they're in denial about what their kids will be exposed to. It was an interesting conversation. Had I lived closer I definitely would have sent there, but the commute was the deal breaker since we would have sent to the main building.

As far as other schools mentioned, I did send to Chofetz Chaim/ Tiferes Yisroel for a bit. I have no complaints about the school or education, but the parent body was definitely different than I expected and the crowd seems to have shifted. Pretty much everyone in my son's class watched TV regularly. I didn't find the crowd to be particularly wealthy or flashy as was posted upthread and it was a mix of all types. But the TV stuff and the amount of character gear and toys was a bit over the top for me. If you're ok with that, it can be an excellent choice.

Curious as to how many years ago this was.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 9:05 pm
I send to Chofetz Chaim. It is an excellent yeshiva that is known to have a good secular department. The Torah studies are taught by really warm Rebbies. To my knowledge, the whole parent body are professionals of some sort. No kollel families. All the graduates I have met are now professionals themselves, but with an emphasis on yiddishkeit in their personal life.
Yes, most, if not all families have TVs. Yes, there some wealthy families, but I wouldn’t say they are the majority. You will see name brands, but not on everyone.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 9:12 pm
amother Iris wrote:
Veretzky
I know professionals who send there and it’s a very nice balance

In veretzky 99% of the people have TVs and lots of people are not dressing to the level of tznius op wants. Also, my son was one of two kids in his class who didn’t go to Florida (or Panama) for midwinter vacation. And the kids are all wearing yeezys and moose knuckle . So not what op wants. I think her best bet would be Torah Temima. Maybe Torah vadas.

amother
Quince

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 9:29 pm
I really think YTV is your best bet.

nicole81

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 9:43 pm
amother Glitter wrote:
Curious as to how many years ago this was.

2 years ago

amother
Glitter

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 9:47 pm
nicole81 wrote:
2 years ago

Interesting.

amother
Daffodil

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 11:00 pm
Nobody here mentioned the mir for op? Simple, yeshivish

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 7:56 am
amother Daffodil wrote:
Nobody here mentioned the mir for op? Simple, yeshivish

Agree about simple and yeshivish, but I don't think OP will be happy with the secular studies there. And if she found the attitude at Torah V'Daas too insular, I don't think Mir will be for her.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 12:00 pm
I don’t want to hijack but I think this will be helpful for OP too. Can anyone tell me about Torah Temima? We are also JPF but closer to yeshivish. I am careful with tznius- ie I don’t wear leggings, always wear stockings, skirts cover knees well, wigs are a bit longer than my shoulder. We have unfiltered smartphones but we are planning on not having our kids use internet (my son is two). I want a good secular education. We are not the type to go on exotic vacations, wear flashy brands or drive fancy cars- we make a decent income but not our values to live lavishly. Of course there are always families like this but looking for somewhere where they are a minority!

amother
Stone

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 12:27 pm
What is the state of toras emes these days? What about derech hatorah?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics