Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Veggie soup out all night
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 2:58 pm
I had a fresh vegetable soup in a pot out all night, can I use it?

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 3:04 pm
I did this a week or two ago.

Depends how cold your house is. I'm in Israel and we only have heating in bedrooms.

Did it feel cold to the touch this morning or lukewarm?

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 3:05 pm
People lived for thousands of years before refrigeration.

A vegetable soup without meat or chicken should be fine.

Boil it for a few minutes before eating.

amother
Tuberose

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 3:22 pm
No. You risk food poisoning which is horrific and can take months to get out of the system. It’s never worth causing everyone to get so sick. Boiling does not get rid of the bacteria that grows. Before refrigeration they made sure to keep it in very specific ways so that doesn’t help today either. People also run in front of cars and live, someone else eating spoiled food and surviving is not a reason to put yourself in that danger.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 3:25 pm
Dangerous to eat as you can get food poisoning

Myth: If you let food sit out more than 2 hours, you can make it safe by reheating it really hot.

Fact: Some bacteria, such as staphylococcus (staph) and Bacillus cereus, produce toxins not destroyed by high cooking temperatures. Refrigerate perishable foods within 2 hours in a refrigerator temperature of 40 degrees or below.

The food has been exposed to air in which there is potentially bacteria and other pathogens

Food of any kind is a wonderful medium for pathogens to grow - especially at room temperature. Refrigeration is a "hostile" environment so that they would not grow as easily but even refrigerated food will go "bad" and be potentially dangerous to eat after a period of time.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 4:43 pm
It has no chicken or meat. Only veggies and water.
My kitchen is approx 68 degrees at night. The pot was cool to the touch nothing was warm here.

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 4:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
I had a fresh vegetable soup in a pot out all night, can I use it?

Yes. It’s not summer or hot in the house so should be fine

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 4:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
My kitchen is approx 68 degrees at night. The pot was cool to the touch nothing was warm here.

It’s fine.

amother
Tuberose

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 4:46 pm
amother OP wrote:

68 is too warm. Vegetables sitting out in water all night spoils quickly. Soup is one of the most dangerous things to leave out.

amother
Tuberose

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 4:50 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:
It’s fine.

No it’s not. You can say you like risking food poisoning and don’t care but don’t claim it’s fine when it’s not.

SG18

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 4:54 pm
amother Jade wrote:
I did this a week or two ago.

Depends how cold your house is. I'm in Israel and we only have heating in bedrooms.

Did it feel cold to the touch this morning or lukewarm?

This. When I wake up, my kitchen is almost as cold as the fridge.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 4:57 pm
Too many contradicting replies here😭😂. Now what?

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 5:11 pm
amother OP wrote:

You are going to get contradictory advice because imamothers I have learned have very different views on other basic issues relating to hygiene - like washing hands with soap or having only one hand towel etc.

I think sometimes people don't realize how often they get food poisoning and just think they have a mild bit of indigestion - whatever.

If you believe in science and taking reasonable precautions, you wouldn't eat it.

If you think that what was good enough for people who didn't know anything about germs is good enough for you, then eat it.

amother
Tuberose

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 5:16 pm
amother OP wrote:

The ones saying it's ok are basing it on nothing. If you want to know what actually happens soup grows bacteria very quickly out of the fridge, 68 degrees is not food safe. Food poisoning is horrific, it's violent vomiting and diarrhea can last for weeks and often causes longer term effects. Why would you risk that for your family? Is it really worth it? Ask yourself if everyone is violently ill tomorrow will it have been worth it?

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 5:40 pm
amother OP wrote:

I said it is OK.

but after reading others posts, I would not risk it.

Be Safe and throw it out.

amother
RosePink

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 6:48 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
The ones saying it's ok are basing it on nothing. If you want to know what actually happens soup grows bacteria very quickly out of the fridge, 68 degrees is not food safe. Food poisoning is horrific, it's violent vomiting and diarrhea can last for weeks and often causes longer term effects. Why would you risk that for your family? Is it really worth it? Ask yourself if everyone is violently ill tomorrow will it have been worth it?

They say it's ok (assuming it was hot when you went to sleep) based on the fact that they do this every week & bh no one in the family ever had a really bad food poisoning(or any kind of food poisoning more than like once in 5 years).

The older I get the more I see how most rules have a bit of stretch to them. Really.

amother
Tuberose

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 6:49 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
They say it's ok (assuming it was hot when you went to sleep) based on the fact that they do this every week & bh no one in the family ever had a really bad food poisoning(or any kind of food poisoning more than like once in 5 years).

The older I get the more I see how most rules have a bit of stretch to them. Really.

Yeah the more I see people with stomach ailments that they think is just part of life the more I realize people are just ignorant about food safety.

amother
RosePink

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 7:12 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
Yeah the more I see people with stomach ailments that they think is just part of life the more I realize people are just ignorant about food safety.

Bh I'm not ignorant, I make choices. For example I'm super careful with raw meat & use a meat thermometer & soap hands like crazy.

My kids very rarely get sick bh.

I heard from a reputable pediatrician to not use any disinfectant products in the house when pregnant & with kids in the house. It hinders immune development. There is so much still unknown.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 7:17 pm
I do this all the time with my chicken soup. I turn off the flame before I go to bed and the pot is still warm in the morning
We've never had any issues
My mother does the same

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 31 2023, 7:29 pm
Thank you everybody. To the garbage it goes....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen