Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler HATES their bed

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 11:31 pm
This is a s/o of the other thread because I can't believe there are toddlers that are actually calm and happy when they're alone in their bed for 35 minutes. How do you achieve this?? Every night I sit in the room until DC falls asleep otherwise they cry. I can sit there anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours but if gd forbid I try to leave DC SCREAMS. I feel like I'm going crazy sitting with my child every night for an hour but I also don't wanna let my child cry. What do I do?

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Feb 01 2023, 11:59 pm
I don't think toddler hates their bed.

I think toddler hates going to sleep.

Doesn't know HOW to fall asleep.

There are some sleep books that may have some suggestions.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 12:00 am
You trained your child to only fall asleep if you are there.

Your child knows you will leave once he is asleep, so he stays up as long as possible.

amother
Lightgray

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 2:35 am
When I transitioned my then one year old to a toddler bed, DH would stay with her for a while. Now, almost a year later, she sometimes cries for MAX 20 minutes on and off. If she cries nonstop, I go in to check on her- tuck her in again, give a drink of water.
A strong bedtime routine has really helped. Brush teeth, get into bed, read book, drink, tuck in. Same routine for naps, without brushing teeth.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 3:41 am
Supernannys Stay in bed technique.

WitchKitty

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 3:46 am
My kid loves routine.
When we transferred him from the crib to the bed is wasn't a big deal at all, because the routine was exactly the same. Pajamas, shema, 'can you go in yourself or will mommy put you in', here is your bottle, here are your tissues (yes, he demands them), here is the pacifier, cover with the blanket, then I say good night and then he does.
If we miss any step he goes crazy..

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 6:14 pm
Thanks for all of your responses. We do have a very strong routine. We do the exact same thing every night, but he still seems to dislike being in his bed A LOT. I used to be able to leave the room before he fell asleep. Sometimes he would cry but most nights he would be fine. lately, I must sit next to the bed otherwise he cries.

yachnabobba

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 6:22 pm
I got a HUGE stuffed animal. He is in charge of watching her. We set that up. Said animal sits on a chair near her bed.
With a projection lamp and a sound machine it works

amother
Buttercup

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 6:27 pm
I tell my toddler if he comes out of bed I close his door. Otherwise I let him keep it open.try to negotiate him going to sleep nicely if u buy him a nightlight, stuffed animal, make chart for prize, mizva notes etc. U shld not need to stay there until they fall asleep. Teaching Bad habits

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 6:29 pm
My 3 yr old son use to sleep great for the past about yr and half he wakes up and has hard time going back to sleep on his own. He can fall asleep originally on his own but when he wakes in middle of night he has a very time.
We have a routine, I've tried so many things. Lately he just sleeps on the floor in my room.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 6:31 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:
I tell my toddler if he comes out of bed I close his door. Otherwise I let him keep it open.try to negotiate him going to sleep nicely if u buy him a nightlight, stuffed animal, make chart for prize, mizva notes etc. U shld not need to stay there until they fall asleep. Teaching Bad habits

I've tried this...in middle of night he doesn't care about any prize or anything just wants us to stay with him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics